The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] McDavid about to sign a 8 year deal

Darius

Oilers only have themselves to blame if they become financially handcuffed, I have no sympathy.  They don't or didn't have much organizational depth after having drafted as high as they did.  Then they had to bring in free agents by overspending on them and then traded away assets in the form of draft picks to fill out their roster with talent.  Lucic' contract is an anchor (also has a NMC), hopefully no one helps the oil out.  Pouliot's contract is a problem in the near term (maybe should have paid Vegas with a couple draft picks to take him in the expansion draft?), going to have to find something for RNH & Russell's contract may already be an anchor.  Then they have to re-up Talbot as I dont think they have much goalie depth coming...and I dont know if they are going to be able to re-up Maroon.

To me, Pouliot has negative value.  Lazy, takes penalties in the offensive zone, gets called out by the coach for being a dumbass.  If Reinhart was who Vegas wanted, probably would have just taken the lumps by making a deal and paying the asset (Reinhart + pick(s) to take Pouliot).  I know optically it would have been horrendous because of what they paid to get Reinhart (Barzal + what became Beauvillier)

Chicago had the supporting organizational depth then got Toews and Kane in the draft.  Also they were aided by a rising cap plus they won before Toews and Kane needed to be paid.  Oilers are the opposite, have to pay their superstars, they haven't won anything yet and lack organizational depth.  

19 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

If I had to live in Edmonton Id ask for the max too.

lol

I also wonder what this kind of signing does regarding what players will want in the future. What will Matthews command? The same? Is Hischier going to want $15mil when it's his time? Will players worth $5mil suddenly want $8mil? I get it that McDavid is a great hockey player, but his career just started and he hasn't even won a conference championship yet. It just seems like a crazy amount to pay one player, when the cap is only $75mil. I think he and the Oilers are automatically assuming he'll win them at least one. He better at that salary. Maybe they think if they get a generational player like Gretzky (McDavid) and a 2nd in command like Messier (Draisaitl), they can win a bunch. Problem is, the Oilers of the 80s (prior to the cap) had players like Fuhr, Coffey, Anderson, Kurri, etc. and the Oilers of today will need to get rid of some of their better players to fit under the cap.   

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Playoff scoring says otherwise

Player GP G A P +/- PIM PPG PPP SHG SHP GWG OTG S S% FO%
8477934.jpg Leon Draisaitl 13 6 10 16 8 19 1 6 0 0 1 0 22 27.3 46.47
8473914.jpg Mark Letestu 13 5 6 11 -4 2 4 8 0 1 0 0 33 15.2 45.23
8478402.jpg Connor McDavid 13 5 4 9 3 2 1 4 1 1 0 0 37 13.5 35.78
8474034.jpg Patrick Maroon 13 3 5 8 2 28 1 1 0 0 1 0 33 9.1 0
8473473.jpg Milan Lucic 13 2 4 6 -5 20 2 3 0 0 0 0 17 11.8

What's Williams, Couture, Guentzel, Kessel, Silfverberg, etc, etc.,  worth then?

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=0&gameType=3&report=skatersummary&pos=S&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20102011&seasonTo=20162017&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,assists

5 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Not as much as Draistle and no way near McJeebus

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Playoff scoring says otherwise

Player GP G A P +/- PIM PPG PPP SHG SHP GWG OTG S S% FO%
8477934.jpg Leon Draisaitl 13 6 10 16 8 19 1 6 0 0 1 0 22 27.3 46.47
8473914.jpg Mark Letestu 13 5 6 11 -4 2 4 8 0 1 0 0 33 15.2 45.23
8478402.jpg Connor McDavid 13 5 4 9 3 2 1 4 1 1 0 0 37 13.5 35.78
8474034.jpg Patrick Maroon 13 3 5 8 2 28 1 1 0 0 1 0 33 9.1 0
8473473.jpg Milan Lucic 13 2 4 6 -5 20 2 3 0 0 0 0 17 11.8

Maybe Letestu should ask for $14.1 million ;)

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Maybe Letestu should ask for $14.1 million ;)

Letsetu scored as much in the playoffs as he averaged in a full season ( for his previous 8 years average)

They should check him for hockey IQ roids because his scoring was no where near what anyone expected or else Columbus would never have gotten rid of him.

But Letestu should get a great salary increase too. 

McJeebus 14 Draistle 10 Letestu 4.5

They should get paid what their worth

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Marketing is not the point. That stuff is gravy.

I think you missed the point entirely.  Marketing = money.  Winning = fame.  The two go hand in hand and tying your team down with a huge salary is counterproductive.  Obviously he should be paid very, very well by the Oilers.  But there's a point where, despite being worthy of more pay, being paid more by the team actually doesn't help the winning, fame, marketing / money.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

lol

I also wonder what this kind of signing does regarding what players will want in the future. What will Matthews command? The same? Is Hischier going to want $15mil when it's his time? Will players worth $5mil suddenly want $8mil? I get it that McDavid is a great hockey player, but his career just started and he hasn't even won a conference championship yet. It just seems like a crazy amount to pay one player, when the cap is only $75mil. I think he and the Oilers are automatically assuming he'll win them at least one. He better at that salary. Maybe they think if they get a generational player like Gretzky (McDavid) and a 2nd in command like Messier (Draisaitl), they can win a bunch. Problem is, the Oilers of the 80s (prior to the cap) had players like Fuhr, Coffey, Anderson, Kurri, etc. and the Oilers of today will need to get rid of some of their better players to fit under the cap.   

In the last 7 years Chicago has done alright managing the cap.

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Tell that to McDavid's Ted Lindsay, Art Ross, Hart, and higher points-per-game than Crosby all while surrounded by a worse team. The only thing Crosby has going for him is his all-around game and longevity.

Three Stanley Cup rings say hi. McDavid has one full season under his belt...

43 minutes ago, shazzam said:

McDavid is going to get ripped to shreds by fans and media if he doesn't deliver in the playoffs

Is his game really best suited for playoff hockey?  Draisatl was easily the better of the two in the playoffs.  

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is his game really best suited for playoff hockey?  Draisatl was easily the better of the two in the playoffs.  

well he's going to get the toughest matchups and the highest paid player better find a way to break through. It was his first playoffs and he's only 20. I'm sure he'll have some solid runs

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Keep in mind that when Crosby signed his $8.7M deal (the second deal you are referring to), the salary cap was $50.3M. His cap took up 17.3% of all of Pittsburgh's cap space. With a deal of $14.3M of the roughly $75M cap next year, McDavid will be making 19.1% of Edmonton's cap. It's higher for sure, but not as much higher as it looks at face value due to inflation over time. Crosby's old deal in today's money (using the cap for inflation), would be about $13M per year.

crosby has hurt player contract valuations by his contract

he has provided the league with an artificial annual salary cap on a per player contract basis

few have surpassed his pay.. toews, kane, and i think ovechin are the only exceptions

look at the team salary payrolls pre cap and what they allocated to top players

even bure made 10 milion here and i do not believe the canuck payroll back then was 75 million

i'm sure mcdavid is under pressure from the players union to fix this weird pay structure which only exists in the nhl

cuz a generational canadian boy took less then he should have

and hurt every one else in the process

take the max mcdavid

everyone else will benefit

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

crosby has hurt player contract valuations by his contract

he has provided the league with an artificial annual salary cap on a per player contract basis

few have surpassed his pay.. toews, kane, and i think ovechin are the only exceptions

look at the team salary payrolls pre cap and what they allocated to top players

even bure made 10 milion here and i do not believe the canuck payroll back then was 75 million

i'm sure mcdavid is under pressure from the players union to fix this weird pay structure which only exists in the nhl

cuz a generational canadian boy took less then he should have

and hurt every one else in the process

take the max mcdavid

everyone else will benefit

not everyone will benefit, the top end guys sure, but the rest will get less

6 minutes ago, shazzam said:

not everyone will benefit, the top end guys sure, but the rest will get less

The rich get richer, while the small potatoes suffer. McDavid has endorsement deals for life too. Will good players want to take a smaller pay to play with McDavid or will they take their services elsewhere to build a better and more complete team elsewhere?

Archived