The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes re-sign D Brett Pesce to six year extension

RALEIGH, N.C. — The Carolina Hurricanes and defenceman Brett Pesce have agreed to a six-year contract extension.

Under terms of the deal announced Tuesday and taking effect in 2018-19, Pesce will make $4.025 million per season.

The 22-year-old Pesce had 18 assists and 20 points last year in his second full professional season.

Both Pesce and his defensive partner — Jaccob Slavin — received lengthy extensions from the Hurricanes. Slavin agreed to a seven-year deal last month that will pay him $5.3 million, also starting in 2018-19.

General manager Ron Francis says Pesce "plays a smart defensive game and has good ability to move the puck and contribute offensively."

Pesce will make $892,000 this season, the last of his entry-level contract.

___

For more AP NHL coverage: https://apnews.com/tag/NHLhockey

http://www.tsn.ca/hurricanes-d-pesce-agree-to-6-year-contract-extension-1.819679

6 years / $4.025 million AAV

Not a bad deal. Hurricanes are quietly building one of the best D corps in the league. Good for them. 

2 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

Indeed, and they still have Jake Bean and Haydn Fleury as prospects. Talk about a bag of riches. 

This is what happens when you draft defensemen in the first two rounds:

- Hanifin

- Fleury

- Bean

- Faulk

- Martin (this year)

Not to mention Pesce and Slavin in later rounds.

They've had good prospects for ages and I think Slavin and Pesce are two of the most underated defencemen in the league. Young guys, can pass the puck, can throw the body, they do it all. The Hurricanes are building a defence very similar to what we see in Nashville - a bunch of all-round defencemen who can do it all. Their "puck movers" can throw hits and their physical defencemen can score goals.

Carolina's going to be a deadly team once their forwards start going. Next year that defence will be one of the best in the league and just wait until Hanifin hits his prime. I still think they could use a 28-33 year old veteran defenceman on the tail end of his prime to help out in pressure situations, which is when they seem to still crumble a bit.

8 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

People are starting to take notice of how good the Hurricanes are actually going to be. They'll be in playoff contention this season, and don't be surprised if they actually make it.

I still think the Canes are one game breaking forward away from being a playoff contender. They do have a good depth of forward players but I still think then need a Tarasenko or Forsberg in their line up. I suppose Skinner can be that guy, but I he been pretty quiet since his rookie all star season.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived