The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Will Be our Dark Horse Next Season?

apollo

6 hours ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

Rodin seems to be the theme, and I think he's a good choice, but I'm going with Burmistrov.  I would say Loui, but he's making 6 mil a season so I can't call him a dark horse, but I do expect he'll be better offensively.

Can't be much worse so there is always that. The only thing I like about Loui is he put a big nail in this managements coffin. 

7 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Loui Erickson with 20 goals would be nice. But I was a bettin man Im going with Virtanen I think he is going to come in flying and put up 35 points. A couple big goals, and work his way up to the Bo/Boeser line.

In a perfect world....  I'd love to see this happen though. 

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I am one of the biggest Virtanen supporters (I like to think) and I'd be happy if he played 50 games next year.

Virtanen will come to camp in great shape and make the team.. top 9 are almost a given..Dark horse for me =   Nilsson, Gaunce, Virtanen

Bart  Bo Boeser

Sedin  sedin  Grandlund

Erickson Gagner Sutter

you have lost of guys fighting for 3 positions.... Gaunce, Rodin, Virtanen, Barmistrov, Boucher, Goldobin ( Dorsette if healthy) -- MacEwen 6'4 most likely starts in Utica

8 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

This is the joke.

This is your head. 

Whoosh.

He really is my choice for dark horse though. He has a lot to prove, and seems committed to trying to make it work in North America, even if he has to take his lumps in the process. If he can secure a full time spot with the team out of camp then I predict he'll have one of his best seasons in years. He looked really good with AZ last season. He's been rejuvenated.

You make no sense, get some rest...lol

8 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

This is the joke.

This is your head. 

Whoosh.

He really is my choice for dark horse though. He has a lot to prove, and seems committed to trying to make it work in North America, even if he has to take his lumps in the process. If he can secure a full time spot with the team out of camp then I predict he'll have one of his best seasons in years. He looked really good with AZ last season. He's been rejuvenated.

Look at depth chart he will not be a top 9 guy here... 

20 hours ago, apollo said:

The dog days of summer continue... waiting patiently for our glorious Vancouver Canucks to set foot back on the ice...

So who does CDC think has a legitimate shot at being our dark horse next year? You can argue it was Granlund and Troy last year... who both surprised. You can argue that tall defenseman was also a dark horse... I forget his name. Jimmy Jackson? Nicky Treeburt? Something along those lines... 

Few Candidates: 

• Alexander Burmistrov: scored 14 points in 26 games with Arizona averaging around 15 minutes of ice time per game... his struggles have been well documented defensively. Perhaps with a new change of scenery and a show me contract, the 25 year old Russian will turn around his career? I wouldn't be surprised if he hits north of 41 points (or 0.5points per game)
  • Anton Rodin: Horrible luck last year and is on another show me contract. If he stays healthy he could be an x-factor for the team. Another guy that could get above the 0.5ppg
  • Jayson Megna: Another show me contract... I think he'll have a chip on his shoulder. He was a focal point for the anti WD fans and became a scapegoat. Could come up big and prove a lot of people wrong. Also it would be major laughs to see him do well and the forum reaction. 

I'd say Goldy, Brock, resurgence of Loui, Virtanen but I think those are guys you expect to do well. So can't really call them a dark horse... but surely cases could be made. 

Here's to hoping our dark horses are part of a deep playoff run!  

No to Megna... can't even here the name without cringing. 

My picks 

Eriksson

Sutter

Nielson

Virtannen. 

18 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Wiercioch because why not, big guy, hard shot, some NHL experience.  Home town guy too.

And how about Rodin, looked good in camp last year so why not.  

Will make the Sbisa signing expensive...all over again ( last year it didn't look so bad).  Watched him in Ottawa many times and he never looked out of place, in other words looked like he belongs.  Don't think he will do anything spectacular, but that's his game.

As a Hutton/Grablund/Tryamkin/Stetcher sort of impact I'm going to go with Virtanen.  He might not start with the Canucks but once he gets there he's going to make the most of it.

Or Nilsson, his stats on a similarly challenged Buffalo team were more than respectable, huge like Markstrom and doesn't come with high expectations....could be the right formula.  We already may be sitting on our next number one...

10 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hank and Dank     both 80+ pts

Del Zotto     35 pts

Gaunce     9 goals

Canucks.............................86 points

Is this collectively or individually?  Ok I know you said both.  That would be the  story of the season...but if so let's be nicer and say 105 points and the second seed in our division.

12 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

Can't be much worse so there is always that. The only thing I like about Loui is he put a big nail in this managements coffin. 

It couldn't have been much worse, that is definitely true.  I was unsure of Loui when it was rumour and puzzled when Benning signed him for Horvat money...teehee.

He needs to get 30 this year to pull some of the nails.  

1 hour ago, Hockey101 class said:

Grandland going to surprise everyone this kid can play. I hope  Goldoblin is another, that kid's offensively gifted. Anyone that says Megna terrible is an idiot he's just not 1st liner or 2nd liner this is gonna get me in trouble but he's a lot further ahead than Guance .

And he should be 'further along' as he is 4yrs older that Gaunce.  That amount of hockey experience is why Megna can step into differing game circumstances.  I agree that he is not bad as a bottom 6 player. 

Hopefully Brendan is outplaying him by mid-season (he'll need to recover fully from the shoulder surgery), so Megna can help out the Utica squad.  23yr old player with a 2-year contract will have lots of time to improve his offensive game.

Lots of "dark horse" candidates. Can't say I'd argue against any of the names mentioned so far. But for me, the following are the players I'll be watching to see if they can exceed expectations and be this year's surprise breakout player:

Forwards: Gaunce, Burmistrov, Virtanen

Defensemen: Wiercioch, Subban, McEneny

Goal: Nilsson

Also Boeser as a Calder "dark horse." He definitely has a shot if he can pick up right where he left off and use that as a springboard into leading this season's rookie class in goals. It's a long shot, but that's what makes him a "dark horse."

And Rödin could surprise a lot of people. If he's healthy (and stays so) I could see him putting together the kind of production some of us expected from him last year before injuries derailed his season.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Is this collectively or individually?  Ok I know you said both.  That would be the  story of the season...but if so let's be nicer and say 105 points and the second seed in our division.

I agree.  Worst spot to be is just missing the playoffs.  Either get that 100+ points, like you suggest, or be below 70, and get the best lotto % possible.  Much rather, if we miss the playoffs, that we draft top five than 10 to 15.

23 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Lots of "dark horse" candidates. Can't say I'd argue against any of the names mentioned so far. But for me, the following are the players I'll be watching to see if they can exceed expectations and be this year's surprise breakout player:

Forwards: Gaunce, Burmistrov, Virtanen

Defensemen: Wiercioch, Subban, McEneny

Goal: Nilsson

Also Boeser as a Calder "dark horse." He definitely has a shot if he can pick up right where he left off and use that as a springboard into leading this season's rookie class in goals. It's a long shot, but that's what makes him a "dark horse."

And Rödin could surprise a lot of people. If he's healthy (and stays so) I could see him putting together the kind of production some of us expected from him last year before injuries derailed his season.

Definitely a lot of guy who could break out.  Each of the past three years has had a pleasant surprise to somebody coming out of nowhere (Horvat-Stecher).   Add Hutton, Granlund, Tryamkin and even Bear to that list.  Hopefully all of those guys progress, and we get one or two more this year.

The more of these guys that come out of the woodwork, the more options Benning has to tweak the team via trades too.

Archived