The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THN ranks Boeser seventh for the Calder

Goat James

In my opinion, I think the Calder will come between Boeser and McAvoy. I could see Brock scoring 30 goals if put in the right position to succeed (Playing with Bo, Baer and the Twins on the PP). McAvoy is the real deal too, so it will be up to the voters on who they deem better

On 8/12/2017 at 8:39 PM, PunjabiCanucks said:

Baertschi (20)- Horvat (25) - Boeser (27)

D. Sedin (19)- H. Sedin (15)- Granlund (23)

Ericksson (16) - Sutter (13) - Goldobin (15)

Virtanen (12) - Gagner (10) - Burmistrov (11)

12 forwards scoring double-digits.  Sure, why not.

Boeser may be the most developed/mature of those players (along with EE) - wouldn't surprise me at all if he is in the running.

My money would be on Chabot - although defensemen seem to rarely garner much consideration - I think he's the best young D on the cusp of the NHL.

On 8/12/2017 at 3:31 PM, Pears said:

Man when was the last time a rookie lead his team in goals and points? Boeser has serious potential. 

Not sure about both, but Bure led the Canucks in goals in 1991-92.

I'd rather just see Boeser earn a spot on the team next year and develop accordingly. Whether that means becoming a Calder Cup finalist or just having a good overall first season, that would be for him to decide. It does seam highly unlikely for him to not have a good season next year at least.

Being 100% realistic...

...I really don't think it's out of the question, theirs no superstar draftee hitting the league this year, the guy plays a cerebral enough game that he's not begging for an injury, and most importantly he's already proved he's not AFRAID of success, he walked onto a team that was pretty much "Night of the living dead" and showed that he wasn't going to hide in the weeds and play down to where they were at. He was getting his shot at the big time and he was going to stand out with or without their help (Edler). Doesn't appear to have any maturity problems (Virtanen, McCann) or an off-ice agenda (Tryamkin) doesn't have to radically alter his body type and become something other than what he is (Peterson, Joulevi) or lack the ability to rack up tangible results (Joulevi).

and starts getting the other teams top checkers and/or cheap-shoters, will he be able to fight through them and get into prime scoring spots? If he does, theirs little doubt he can score....I think he's got a damn good shot, better than 7th I think. For the first time in quite a while, I'm pretty confident in one of our rookies.

On 8/15/2017 at 4:43 PM, -AJ- said:

Not sure about both, but Bure led the Canucks in goals in 1991-92.

Yes, Bure had 34 goals (1 less than Amonte) to win the Calder that year (Calder nominees were Bure, Amonte and Lidstrom, IIRC).  LInden led the team in points with 75 (Bure had 60).

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000391992.html

THN also has the Canucks as the second most likely team to miss the playoffs...behind only LVGK's.....

Quote:

2. Vancouver Canucks

The Canucks without the Sedins would seem like Henrik without Daniel, but everybody’s clamoring for Vancouver to trade the twins out of town – and everybody’s right. In fact, they should throw Loui Eriksson, the other member of the team’s top line, into the deal as well. Vancouver is going to be bad for a year or three, but they do have some enviable building blocks in the likes of Bo Horvat and Brock Boeser, as well as prospects Olli Juolevi (drafted fifth overall in 2016) and Elias Pettersson (drafted fifth overall in 2017).

On 2017-08-15 at 1:52 PM, oldnews said:

Boeser may be the most developed/mature of those players (along with EE) - wouldn't surprise me at all if he is in the running.

My money would be on Chabot - although defensemen seem to rarely garner much consideration - I think he's the best young D on the cusp of the NHL.

There is one other d man not being talked about. OJ.  If he makes the team he could be a dark horse top rookie. 

Big if, but he has the savvy to become the missing link for our woeful PP.  He has as good of a chance as any other yet to play into NHL, he has added size and his game is suited to the NHL. 

Added plus, the team lacks anyone with his skill set, so he would become a shining light in the darkness if he can make the leap this year.  

8 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

There is one other d man not being talked about. OJ.  If he makes the team he could be a dark horse top rookie. 

Big if, but he has the savvy to become the missing link for our woeful PP.  He has as good of a chance as any other yet to play into NHL, he has added size and his game is suited to the NHL. 

Added plus, the team lacks anyone with his skill set, so he would become a shining light in the darkness if he can make the leap this year.  

OJ isn't playing on a good enough team, hard to get noticed when you aren't putting up many points and defensive dmen don't win rookie of the year.

There is doubt in some hockey people's minds as to whether or not he will be "ready" for the NHL this year.

On 8/19/2017 at 3:17 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

THN also has the Canucks as the second most likely team to miss the playoffs...behind only LVGK's.....

Quote:

2. Vancouver Canucks

The Canucks without the Sedins would seem like Henrik without Daniel, but everybody’s clamoring for Vancouver to trade the twins out of town – and everybody’s right. In fact, they should throw Loui Eriksson, the other member of the team’s top line, into the deal as well. Vancouver is going to be bad for a year or three, but they do have some enviable building blocks in the likes of Bo Horvat and Brock Boeser, as well as prospects Olli Juolevi (drafted fifth overall in 2016) and Elias Pettersson (drafted fifth overall in 2017).

Who is this "everybody" that they speak of?  

11 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

OJ isn't playing on a good enough team, hard to get noticed when you aren't putting up many points and defensive dmen don't win rookie of the year.

There is doubt in some hockey people's minds as to whether or not he will be "ready" for the NHL this year.

First off, all of our prospects would do better to be in Utica this year, Boeser, OJ, Goldy, Virtannen and Dalhen would be best served to develop. 

The problem is is that we lack quality players up on the big club. 

OJ is the best d prospect this club has ever had.  He has met the club target with his off ice training, thinks the game offensively better than any d man currently on our roster, and is likely just behind Tanev for d awareness once he gets adjusted to the NHL speed. 

He has had a legit chance to crack the roster.  If he does get the opportunity to play this preseason, he will turn heads.  

Why I consider him a dark horse if he makes the team is two fold.  We completely lack an offensive defender of his quality, of almost any quality.  This is why he could really stand out.  

His skill set at the transition game is desperately needed to give this team a fighting chance. While he may not have the biggest shot (Work your magic Sami Salo) his passing is likely the best on the club behind the twins. He and Pettersson will be playing 3D chess to others checkers in a few years. 

Should OJ be on the team he has as good of a chance as any rookie.  The reason that he has a legit chance to make the roster is his maturity and commitment to improving.  It's Bo like. Bo lacked explosiveness in his skating, he went out and fixed it, OJ lacked size, he went out and gained the weight.  Added to that he is OHL, NHL or back to Europe. 

IMO it makes no sense to have him in the OHL this year.  OJ has a real chance of forcing the team to trade a LHD this year IMO. 

JB has not gifted OJ and spot and he will have to outshine Hutton, Edler and MDZ. IMO he will has the skill to do so and nothing to loose by giving it his all this preseason.  If one of the above don't show up ready to play for a new coach...  

This preseason is going to be one of the most interesting ones in over a decade as the youth begin to put real pressure on the vets. 

It will take two. Ore years before it will really takeover, but OJ has the talent to force his way onto the roster. 

EmW

Archived