-Vintage Canuck-

[Official] 2017 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Think of it this way -- what we're seeing here is the "last" of the transition platoon.  Once these guys are done over the next 1-3 years our transition and rebuild will be complete, as the young guys will be fully integrated into the lineup.

Totally agree.  Isn't the question how good our next (young) core group will be?  I feel like we've (not necessarily you and me) been arguing the philosophy of the better method of "turning the roster over to the next (young) group" for a while now.  

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I remember back to 2006 when Burrows broke in. Then 2008 with Hansen. They went over the boards like they had firecrackers up their butts. Went out and hounded, made life hell for opposing D and forwards alike. Burrows added the chippy stuff. But they ''made it,' at least initially,' in the NHL exclusively on their dogged checking and unrelenting work ethic. Then surprised with their ability, or developed the ability, to score and contribute offensively.

I'm not sure that is the case with Granlund? He is responsible defensively. But unrelenting and dogged in his pursuit? A thorn in the side of everyone who he plays against? I don't think I can give him credit for that. Hopefully Green can coach that into a few players, Markus included..Granlund also arrived with better offensive acumen. 

Cough, it is one reason Megna and Chaput existed / exist. Why we desperately need Jake to continue to develop at a fast rate!

Adding to this post > it would be nice to see a sizeable group of players on this team grow in terms of intensity.

I like @stawns argument that JV deserves to be on this team based, he called it a 200 foot game, on playing the game harder. Dorsett is on the team for that reason alone. And I'm not talking about fighting.  He is also like Burrows, or Hansen. He gets after it! Competes for pucks. Will skate till he pukes.  Bo has surprised as a scorer. And has more speed than we expected. But he has not locked down NHL forwards the way he did OHL ones. A center does have to sit in the middle more. But it never stopped Kesler from harassing, jabbing, smashing or accidentally trying to hurt Seguin or Crosby.  It is really about the edge to which you will compete!

Skilled players like Giroux and Gallagher are just, if not more, noticeable to me for the edge to which they play the game.  The Twins at their best, were cerebral about it, but rarely lost a puck battle on the boards when cycling. 

Lets see who really wants a roster spot these last two games?

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

What Benning wants is for these young guys to pound on the door and kick it down.  He wants to be forced to put them into the line up.  That's why he signed guys like Vanek, Burmistrov, Gagner and Del Zotto.  They're serviceable NHL players but they certainly weren't signed because Benning thinks they will take us to the playoffs.  They benefit the young guys because they are their barrier to playing in the NHL.  Show us you're better!  It is all for their development.  Show us how much you want it because if you don't really want it, you're not Canuck material.

Boeser for sure and Virtanen are on the verge of being NHL regulars.  Is Goldobin clearly better than some of these guys?  How about McEneny?  Is he better than del Zotto?  Show us.

Look at Upshall and White.  I don't see them getting signed because Boeser and Virtanen are stepping up.  Next level up.....Boucher, Holm, Weircoich.  If a young player outplays them, so what if Benning waives them.

Next layer.  What if the Sedin's retire at the end of this season?  What then?  That's what players like Sutter and Gagner and Burmistrov are here for and signed to the contracts that they have.

So ya, these aren't exciting players but they will fill roles until Petersson is ready to be a top 6 player.  Until Gaudette is ready, and Juolevi and others.  Benning has many of the pieces in the system coming along but of course he is missing pieces as well.  

Excellent post CC.  You mention our needing more pieces.  Dahlin or Tkatchuk from the 2018 draft could be nice.

• Upvote 2

I personally felt that Boeser and Virtenan should make the team and waive Dorsett and Biega or other vets on this team that doesn't cut it with their play in preseason.  This is Brock's first season as a pro going from 35 games to 82 games which is steep.  I think that the coach should present him a schedule ahead of time on which games he is playing and which is not scheduled to play months in advance and stays in press box.  60-65 games might be ideal for his first full season with more practice times between games.   Even if team is playing that game that Brock is not scheduled, he then can focus on dryland training or some kind of skating drill or skill training, putting in extra work.    You would want him to be fresh and not fuming if he plays every games.   You can still develop him that way similar to AHL schedule but with NHL goaltender and NHL skaters.  This should be a case by case for every players that we have who is good enough to play in NHL but needs more training to catch up with other men.  

1 hour ago, cbdoubleu said:

At this point we don't need Rodin at all. 

You sure? For a guy that can skate and shoot, making just $700k.... not worth keeping over Biega? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

We do not really have a Hansen, or Burrows anymore. Who bring their lunch pail to work, expecting to exist dogging key forwards, killing penalties and retrieving the puck?

Perhaps not at the same level as those two (yet anyway), we do have Sutter, Dorsett, Burmistrov and yes, Virtanen. Horvat to some degree as well. 

• Upvote 2

why is there still a question of whether Boesser stays?

Of course he is staying.

All he has done here is be the best player in pretty much every game he has played; led the team and the league in scoring in the preseason; showed nothing but confidence and poise in all 3 zones; outplayed EVERY bubble player vying for his spot...oh ya and he had 4 goals in 9 games in the regular season against what, 5 playoff teams?

Other than some paper transaction where he is immediately recalled before the first game there is no chance to gets sent to Utica.

I  have watched or listened to virtually every Canucks game since 1973 and if he doesn't make the team out of camp/ play in game 1 for any reason other than injury I will quit this board, cancel NHL center ice and never watch a game again (not b/c I would be mad, but it's just how confident I am)

So can we please end this debate?

Now, Virtanen on the other hand...well...that's a close one.

• Upvote 4

Given our incredibly dismal offence last year, I'd be PO'd if Boeser doesn't get a spot to start the season. His fitness or conditioning or whatever..35 games stuff..Stecher did it, harder minutes too. He's not very active in the d-zone yet, my one knock, but he's not floating around doing his best Vrbata impression either. We need goals, Boeser's vision and savage shot should get him that spot.

If Brock doesn't yet have the stamina, or defensive awareness, it's a good thing he's on an ELC and can be sent down to work on big minutes against lesser competition.

Jake is given'r and deserves another crack at it. That being said- I'd hate to see him playing a 4th line roll, getting limited ice time. He seems to play a lot better when he plays a bigger roll. Funny eh, pretty sure every hockey player claims to play better with more minutes.

Rodin doesn't deserve a spot over either of them. I like Upshall's game but if Dorsett is healthy, he kinda becomes redundant. Then there's White - I honestly haven't noticed him. No Comment.

I still think Boeser should start in Utica, as should Virtanen, Goldy, and the other young guns. By doing so, we are able to keep the vets up and can use them as trade bait later this year to accumulate picks in a supposedly very strong draft. Sell this idea to the kids by telling them that they will be the first call-ups and that they can enjoy a safer environment to learn in than the sh*t storm that will be Vancouver's season.

Rodin will and should be given a chance, he was phenomenal last year and is probably still skating off the rust. I have faith that he will be a good middle 6 player in the not so distant future! 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, atillaMYhun said:

why is there still a question of whether Boesser stays?

Of course he is staying.

All he has done here is be the best player in pretty much every game he has played; led the team and the league in scoring in the preseason; showed nothing but confidence and poise in all 3 zones; outplayed EVERY bubble player vying for his spot...oh ya and he had 4 goals in 9 games in the regular season against what, 5 playoff teams?

Other than some paper transaction where he is immediately recalled before the first game there is no chance to gets sent to Utica.

I  have watched or listened to virtually every Canucks game since 1973 and if he doesn't make the team out of camp/ play in game 1 for any reason other than injury I will quit this board, cancel NHL center ice and never watch a game again (not b/c I would be mad, but it's just how confident I am)

So can we please end this debate?

Now, Virtanen on the other hand...well...that's a close one.

He's been the best scorer, not the best player

• Upvote 2

Boeser will be on the team from the start this year. CAGGUILA made edm last year.  Played 60 games. Scored 18 pts. 

Everyone would agree that right now boeser is ahead of where cagiulla was last year at this time.   Plus brock is filling a huge goal scoring need for the canucks.  

He makes the tesm and is a Calder finalist this year. My opinion. 

• Upvote 2

A guy who can create shooting lanes that can pick corners to score,  or keep a goalie off balance and score doesn't need anytime in Utica.

Natural goal scorers can be generational players too, they may not have the complete game but boy can they finish!

On 9/23/2017 at 6:25 PM, King Heffy said:

Nope.  While I'm sure he's a decent enough person off the ice, I've never seen a more pitiful excuse of a hockey player not named Andrew Ebbett.  It's imperative that we, as a fan base, do everything in our power to convince management to get rid of him.  There is literally zero excuse for him to even play one minute in the NHL this season, and if management hasn't figured that out yet than running him out of town is the responsible thing to do.

Cool......

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's been the best scorer, not the best player

He's still been one of the best players. The production is huge considering how we were last year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Perhaps not at the same level as those two (yet anyway), we do have Sutter, Dorsett, Burmistrov and yes, Virtanen. Horvat to some degree as well. 

Dorsett yes, quoted him myself in a different but similar post. Sutter yes. Virtanen? I am very excited as he appears on his way, doesn't he!

Burmistrov?  Very skilled, but goes to the same school of hard hockey as Goldobin I think...