-Vintage Canuck-

[Official] 2017 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

I think it's amazing he's back into full practice already, mono can be so devastating to your body.

...or it was simply a false positive.

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

...or it was simply a false positive.

Could be, or he just didn't get it that severely.

Either way, it's nice that he's back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Hope he's even close to 100%, excited to see him on N.A. ice. Poor guys likely going to be a step behind everyone else though :wacko:

yah but it looks like he's not going to miss any part of his regular season in the AHL, so bullet dodged there for sure. 

I like how calm Boeser is in those interviews, he sure tries hard to maintain a straight face. Thursday's game will be interesting. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Gotta be careful giving a guy a contract then waiving him.  Can scare off future RFAs just like in Chel

Edited by Nooks

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

boeser totally makes team he will lead canucks in goals   benning would be nuts sending him and virt down they have outplayed alot of other players. Trade some of our vet traffic jam please or waive a few 

I'd argue posters are nuts to not see the benefits of doing just that and instead penciling kids in on the roster this early

35 minutes ago, Nooks said:

Gotta be careful giving a guy a contract then waiving him.  Can scare off future RFAs just like in Chel

In an RFA's case, I disagree.  I'm assuming Boucher accepted the regular qualifying offer so the Canucks kept him in the organization.  This is part of the business, and kinda expected for a, up to now, a fringe NHLer.

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, Nooks said:

I disagree, I think it sends a strong message to everyone that there is a minimum expectation if you come to camp around off season preparation.  That shouldn't be negated by having a contract.  Kind of sad, I don't get the sense he's ever been really committed to being an NHL player.  Lots of skill, but if one can't manage the fitness side, one's shelf life will be short.  

• Upvote 3

"It was a fun experience and was great to get to spend some time with the new guys and bond together." - Sutter on the China Games

22 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

In an RFA's case, I disagree.  I'm assuming Boucher accepted the regular qualifying offer so the Canucks kept him in the organization.  This is part of the business, and kinda expected for a, up to now, a fringe NHLer.

He filed for arbitration.  They settled before and the team gave him a one-way deal - his qualifying offer was a two-way deal.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, mll said:

He filed for arbitration.  They settled before and the team gave him a one-way deal - his qualifying offer was a two-way deal.

Thanks for the clarification.  Either way, resigning was more-or-less an automatic and not something that would scare potential free agents from signing in Vancouver.

I can just see it.... couple of years down the road we're trying to sign a top type free agent and they say.... No way, I'm not signing with you after what you did to that awesome sniper Reid Boucher. You can keep you're money, I'll sign with somebody that doesn't put players on waivers.:lol:

• Upvote 2

"He's intense and honest and demands the best out of you no matter who you are or where you play." - Hutton on Green

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nooks said:

Gotta be careful giving a guy [Boucher] a contract then waiving him.  Can scare off future RFAs just like in Chel

56 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Yes and no. They gave him every opportunity to perform including a trip to China and time with the top scorer. I see where your coming from, but in this case I think we are clear.

29 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

21 minutes ago, skategal said:

I disagree, I think it sends a strong message to everyone that there is a minimum expectation if you come to camp around off season preparation.  That shouldn't be negated by having a contract.  Kind of sad, I don't get the sense he's ever been really committed to being an NHL player.  Lots of skill, but if one can't manage the fitness side, one's shelf life will be short.  

Jumping on the bandwagon here. I am all in favour of waiving Boucher and would have done it earlier (and I admit I have already said that in previous posts). Not worried about the message. The message is that you get a chance to show what you can do but you have to earn a spot. And, as @Wilbur says, for RFAs it is not like anyone is making them promises. That is just part of the territory of being a an RFA. If you play well, great. If not, you get waived to the minors.

I expect Boucher to clear, although I could be wrong.

I have never been high on Boucher. He reminds me of Wellwood, Shane O'Brien and various other guys who have skill but lack intensity. I think Boucher, Wellwood, and O'Brien are all likeable guys and seem like good guys -- no "character problem" in that sense. But, unless your talent is exceptional, you have be very intense to the point of being driven to succeed. I think of guys like Horvat and Stecher and Tanev and the Sedins, who all have that drive. I think Boeser is also well-endowed with it as well.

Baertschi and Virtanen are interesting. To me they initially lacked that drive to succeed but I think they have acquired it. Of course they always wanted to succeed, but that has to translate into off the ice actions (training) and on the ice actions -- playing with intensity, going to the hard areas, etc,

I think the Canucks have several players whose intensity is a question mark. I don't mean that as a negative. I just mean that we need to see how focused and intense they will be, especially as veteran players sometimes lose intensity (like Vrbata did in his second year here). I think MDZ and Vanek and Gagner will need to demonstrate high intensity to be successful in Vancouver and I think Hutton could use more focus and intensity, although I think he has been trying to do that this pre-season.

Coaching is part of it, and I think Green places a high weight on focus and intensity on and off the ice.

• Upvote 4