The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Panthers-Canucks deal Demers nixed was for Gudbranson

Squamfan

3 minutes ago, HI5 said:

What's a realistic return for Guddy at tdl?

Probably a late third. Expiring UFA who doesn't contribute offensively at all. If a team thinks they are a defensive defenseman away from winning the Cup, they'll likely use him on the bottom pairing.

30 minutes ago, HI5 said:

What's a realistic return for Guddy at tdl?

If he has a solid year I dont see why a 2nd is out of the question?  Maybe a 1st if a few teams are interested.  A good prospect is also not out of the question I would think?

I wouldnt be surprised if he is looking straight to UFA.  Hope he has a great year and the Canucks can get a decent return for him.

5 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Demers should be fined for mentioning a specific player about a trade on the table that he nixed.  That is in the same  category that got Benning in hot water with regards to PK Subban.  

It is not impossible that we planned to trade for Demers... but no way he would have had any clue who the player coming back would have been.  The league and teams just don't work like that.

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Nobody knows what was coming back from the Panthers along with Demers. It could have been Demers and Marchessault for all we know. No point speculating though.

All we really know is that there was a deal involving Demers and Gudbranson. I doubt it was a one for one since we know how high Tallon is on Guddy.

Very true

Unless I missed something, too much seems to be read into this by many here

What we know

1. Florida has interest in Guddy

2. Demers was asked if he was willing for a trade to Canucks

3. Florida wanted to dump Demers (same as they offloaded Ballard, Booth, Higgins, etc to the Canucks).

What we don't know

1. Were the Canucks ever actually approached about such a deal

2. would they have agreed to it.....

3. Were other players involved....i.e. would Florida sweeten the pot.

6 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Very true

Unless I missed something, too much seems to be read into this by many here

What we know

1. Florida has interest in Guddy

2. Demers was asked if he was willing for a trade to Canucks

3. Florida wanted to dump Demers (same as they offloaded Ballard, Booth, Higgins, etc to the Canucks).

What we don't know

1. Were the Canucks ever actually approached about such a deal

2. would they have agreed to it.....

3. Were other players involved....i.e. would Florida sweeten the pot.

I dont think Benning would trade for a guy and then after 30 games try and trade him back at lower value.  As you note there are a lot of ?'s.  But what we do know and you point out is that Florida wanted him back.   Tallon was pushed out and Guddy got dealt and Tallon got brought back in and wanted Guddy back. - Why?   Because one of their core players Eckblad was getting beat up by teams that is why.  It would have been Demers plus something cause of what we originally gave up.    Guddy makes teams tougher.  

Call it the Lucic factor.  But if you got a guy that can hold his own with top players and will absolutely punish people in a fight then that changes the whole dynamic of a team.  Guddy, is known around the league as a guy who when he fights tries to knock you out.  Remember his fight with Hendricks pre and post fight Hendricks looked absolutely terrified (props though for answering the call).    Guddy is seen as a guy who doesn't go looking but if provoked he brings it hard.

I can see why Benning might have wanted to do such a deal. Demers might give up a little physicality on Guddy, but he is WAY more productive.  Having a guy on the back end who can average some 25 points makes a real difference.  His corsi isn't good, but then, neither is that of Gudbranson.  And if we were able to get an extra like a draft pick as well? Sure.

I hope Gudbranson really kills it this season.  I want to see him succeed - both for him and for our team as well.  If he has another lackluster season and we have to let him walk, not only will the original trade have been useless to us but we will become even softer of a team than we already are.

Wait... so Jason Demers prefers to live in a dumpster like Arizona instead of Vancouver? 

LOL! 

On a more serious note... it's not good that this has come out. Erik is on a 1 year deal and he's certainly not going to feel any more wanted after this. 

18 minutes ago, apollo said:

Wait... so Jason Demers prefers to live in a dumpster like Arizona instead of Vancouver? 

LOL! 

On a more serious note... it's not good that this has come out. Erik is on a 1 year deal and he's certainly not going to feel any more wanted after this. 

People with second homes prefer to live there when it gets cold, its smart.

18 minutes ago, apollo said:

LOL! 

But no where does it actually say that Vancouver was actually in on this deal does it?

The only thing we see is  coming from Demers and Florida.

3 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

But no where does it actually say that Vancouver was actually in on this deal does it?

The only thing we see is  coming from Demers and Florida.

See here from what WHL Rocks posted, I think it's public news

Jason Demers was nearly a member of the Vancouver Canucks.

The veteran defenseman told reporters Sunday that Florida Panthers general manager Dale Tallon tried sending him to the Canucks to get blue-liner Erik Gudbranson back, but Demers turned it down, according to the Miami Herald's George Richards.

4 minutes ago, playboi19 said:

People with second homes prefer to live there when it gets cold, its smart.

America though... ew. But yea I guess if he's from Quebec, he would prefer somewhere warmer. I'm too much of a homer to ever say Vancouver isn't the best place to play though ::D

15 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

How would Demers know that the trade would be for Gudbranson? I can't imagine Tallon going to Demers with anything other than "would you accept a trade to Vancouver". To mention a specific player before you have a deal done is totally unethical and would lead to teams being unwilling to deal with you down the road. That is not Tallon.

I call BS on this one.

Exactly.  And not only this, but Tallon asking Demers if he'd be willing to go to Vancouver is simple due dilligence that a GM does before negotiating a deal - that Tallon may have been intending to target Gudbranson does not mean that Vancouver did or would agree to that deal.

It wasn't really a mystery however that Florida was looking to dump Demers.  The Reilly Smith deal was a hasty one - it really looks like Florida is looking to shed commitment$ / that ownership is backtracking on how 'all-in' they were going.

Demers turned out not to be the analytics darling they'd anticipated in Florida.  21st best underlying numbers on the Panthers, 4 pts more than Troy Stecher.... Imo his value just isn't going to return a Gudbranson.  In the end the odd thing is that they took a similarly weak return as in the Smith deal - taking back 3.5x2 in McGinn, but managing to shed the last two years of the Demers deal.

I don't blame Benning one bit if he were listening and talking to Tallon - the Panthers are a team that every shark should be circling right now - but I highly doubt it got to the stage of agreeing to terms on a Gudbranson deal when Demers was reportedly unwilling to waive in the first place (but then agreed to Arizona?).  So much smells in this story.

Archived