The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot | #5 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Doesn't he get an automatic raise if they qualify him?

My guess is they'd rather sign him as a free agent. He doesn't deserve more than 900k at this point.

Pouliot doesn't deserve more than 900k ..... but Granlund, who missed a quarter of the season and massively dropped off his points production from the previous year, deserves a raise?

Edited by shiznak
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Pouliot doesn't deserve more than 900k ..... but Granlund, who missed a quarter of the season and massively dropped off his points production from the previous, deserves a raise?

Granlund isn't being replaced by Hughes or Ollie.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, gurn said:

Granlund isn't being replaced by Hughes or Ollie.

And what if none of these guys are ready?

If you ask me, Granlund could be replaced by Gaudette, Motte, or Leipsic.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

oAnd what if none of these guys are ready?

Granlund plays 3 forward spots, the other guys not so much, though Motte plays left and centre.

Gaudette may replace him at centre, but till you know for sure, Granlund is needed on the roster.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

This might be the 1st training camp in a long while where defensemen are actually battling for spots instead of us desperately trying to fill holes. 

I remember when that happened with our forward group.  It's a good feeling eh?

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Maybe Gaudette, but the other two?  No way.

7 hours ago, gurn said:

Granlund plays 3 forward spots, the other guys not so much, though Motte plays left and centre.

Gaudette may replace him at centre, but till you know for sure, Granlund is needed on the roster.

How many "bottom six" players do we currently have, that have a good chance of a roster spot next year?

Gaudette, Motte, Leipsic, Gaunce, Gagner, and Virtanen. Didn't even mention Archibald, Goldobin, or Peterrsson.

8 hours ago, shiznak said:

And what if none of these guys are ready?

7 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Maybe Gaudette, but the other two?  No way.

I am taking the middle ground. I would put Gaudette and Leipsic ahead of Granlund, but not Motte.

My prediction, which could easily be wrong, is that Gaudette and Leipsic are on the 4th line to start the season, along with Virtanen.

Granlund could be 13th man, he could play shutdown with Sutter on the 3rd line, or he could even play on the second line. Or, who knows,maybe someone could get traded.

At this stage there is a lot of uncertainty and I don't pretend to have any great insights.

• 2 months later...

Ben Hutton got a 30 min 'show me' game vs LAK. It will be interesting to see if TG has a similar look-see with Pouliot. On the surface, these two seem to be contesting one roster spot. Of course, they could both be part of our 8 man d, depends where Juolevi, Biega and even Sautner fit into the conversation.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

What a bonus it would be if Pouliot put it together this year and unlocked his top4 potential.  He is still young.

When we first got him, I was stoked. Then he started making same mistakes, turnovers, etc. over and over again. It was frustrating to watch. He played reckless, impatient and inconsistent.

However, if he can play calm, smart and relaxed like he did today, he will stay on this team. Need to see the consistency though. I have bashed him this pre-season, but still rooting for him 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

What a bonus it would be if Pouliot put it together this year and unlocked his top4 potential.  He is still young.

I am not a fan but he looked good last night. Even got his back up a couple of times.