The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Mike Cammalleri to Oilers for Jussi Jokinen

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

what is granny worth in your opinion?

Tough to say. Maybe a late 2nd/early 3rd but more likely in a swap for another young player. Forward for a D or something? Bit I think we'd probably be better served holding onto him in hopes that he regains his scoring touch. 

2 hours ago, Katobaron said:

Cammalari looks like he has a shot at a 40 point year this year and Kings are doing well. Why move him?

it is kind of a weird trade.... not really an upgrade either way. Unless LA thinks MC is too fragile? 

25 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Tough to say. Maybe a late 2nd/early 3rd but more likely in a swap for another young player. Forward for a D or something? Bit I think we'd probably be better served holding onto him in hopes that he regains his scoring touch. 

why would we trade him for that

we traded shinkarik to get him

and have since developed him into a solid nhler

i say keep him if no team pays more than that for him

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This trade just means the Oilers aren't going to tank, nor are they going to make the playoffs.

But they'll somehow end up with the 1st overall, draft Dahlin, and ruin his development somehow. Im so sick of that horrible franchise and their dumb management. People keep bashing JB, and while he's not the greatest GM in certain areas, he's not that bad compared to that dumbass Chia pet. 

Jussi is the best player in this trade, don't let the points fool you.  LA won this trade.

Sure, Cammalleri has gotten 7 points in 15 games so far. But he's an incredibly one dimensional player with atrocious underlying numbers.  If he's not producing, he's a burden.  When you take into account the fact that all 7 of those points came in just 3 games (meaning he has been pointless in 12 of 15 games this season), it doesn't bode well.

Jokinen, despite not producing much is a solid two-way player and has the underlying numbers to show for it.  As far as the scoring goes, over the past few years he's generally been good for a goal every 10 shots.  This year he is on pace for ~125 shots despite only averaging 12 minutes of ice time per game in Edmonton.  He still has a good shot at ending up with over 10 goals this year while providing decent defence.  He's a decent bottom 6 option at this stage in his career, I'm not even sure what you could consider Cammalleri at this point.

5 hours ago, Provost said:

There may be more to come I guess.  TSN was just talking about lots of trade rumours heating up ahead of the GM meeting, and that forward help is what is scarce (which is unusual... normally it is D).

Maybe time to consider whether to listen on Vanek and Granlund.  If you can get a decent return, we have the depth to replace them with not too much drop off and it might ease our veteran logjam in Utica.

Granlund would probably be really attractive as someone who is cheap, can play centre or wing, has a bunch of goals last season, and can also be used in a shutdown capacity.  It is the same reason he is valuable to us, but we are in a situation where if we flip him for something with a higher ceiling that works too.  We have plenty of middle 6 players on the roster and coming up through the system.  We can't keep them all, or there are no holes for kids to slot into.

Didn't work out so well for Calgary.

4 hours ago, coastal.view said:

why would we trade him for that

we traded shinkarik to get him

and have since developed him into a solid nhler

i say keep him if no team pays more than that for him

For sure. No sense trading him at this point. He should come in pretty cheap on his next contract and still has some decent upside. He'll sink or swim as a Canuck.

Rob Blake said that Cammalleri wasn't happy with his role on the team. Also mentioned that Jokinen is more versatile - can play all 3 forward positions. So it sounds like they were appeasing a respected vet, and taking a chance buying low on Jussi.

Also, L.A. has been one of the poorer teams in the shootout in recent years. Jokinen is one of the better shootout players in the league, so he should help them there as well.

Archived