The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

The thing is - it matters.

It was not a cheap shot.  It was not head hunting.  It was not a hit from behind or the blindside.  It wasn't an elbow. It was simply a good, clean, legal old-fashioned body check.  As I watch the other angle, his stick runs up after the fact, not really that consequential - worth a minor, but the hit itself was fine and the reaction was overdone. 

And the other thing is this - when you have a 5 or 6 goal lead, you tone it down.  It's pretty much universal - 'code' - whatever you want to call it.  Particularly in someone else's building - if you're going to ham it up after whiff goals or a 7th meaningless goal, expect your disrespected opponent to do exactly what Virtanen did.

Kudos to Virtanen.  He did the right thing - he answered disrespect with a clean hit.

Two things the Predators should have realized at that point - 1) they had it coming and were asking for it with their cocky, overblown celebrations long after the result was decided and 2) the way to respond to a clean hit is not a chickencrap blindside punch, but a nod of the head and a number taken, or invite that player to answer.

That is on the Predators, from before the hit to after, plain and simple.  It may not be obvious to a casual fan, but if you are willing to show your opponent up, you better be prepared to take a hit.

not just the running of the score, but the hits on Tanev with a commanding lead deserved a stronger response than what Jake dished. The team is just too soft, especially at home. Has been that way for years now. Embarrassing really.

7 hours ago, Gudbransons_Elbow said:

I miss Zack Kassian.

100%! The loss of Zach set the Canucks back no doubt. I follow his career in Edmonton closely. Would take him back in a flash. Slightly comical the way fans want to move Hutton for almost any return but I would move him for Kassian. 

7 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

stoped watching, but how was that virtanen hit called roughing? that was clean. 

I like Virtanen even more then I did 5 minutes ago.  It wasn't the hit. it was his response.  he showed some passion and stood his ground. gave zero concern hartnall was a big man.  Once jake starts feeling comfortable protecting himself vs bigger older guys hes going to be a damn good player.  That type of engagement is what Jake needs to be truly involved in the game.  I Think hes going to be a lot like Bertuzzi.  Once u get him rilled up or cut he comes alive and reaches all new heights.  I think jakes playing a little to conservative at the moment but hes slowly learning how to add to his game well remaining a responsible player.  Anyone who says we should of taken Ehlers I cannot agree with you less. This kids going to be something special.  He has matured in leaps and bounds and has become a real team player.  Love it and love Jake.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

I like Virtanen even more then I did 5 minutes ago.  It wasn't the hit. it was his response.  he showed some passion and stood his ground. gave zero concern hartnall was a big man.  Once jake starts feeling comfortable protecting himself vs bigger older guys hes going to be a damn good player.  That type of engagement is what Jake needs to be truly involved in the game.  I Think hes going to be a lot like Bertuzzi.  Once u get him rilled up or cut he comes alive and reaches all new heights.  I think jakes playing a little to conservative at the moment but hes slowly learning how to add to his game well remaining a responsible player.  Anyone who says we should of taken Ehlers I cannot agree with you less. This kids going to be something special.  He has matured in leaps and bounds and has become a real team player.  Love it and love Jake.

Exactly. Fair hit or not it was not brutal as some here are suggesting. Fans are feeling sorry for Emelin? That guy has seriously hurt many players thru his career. A little payback is what comes around. Virtanen answered the call and that means something. 

7 hours ago, scratchmb said:

Well, the team is AHL calibre

Considering that the current coach, Travis Green, is just cutting his teeth as an NHL head coach after being an AHL coach, you have to give the man a little latitude. I can't and won't play the devil's advocate and pretend to be an armchair coach, GM or President. I simply love the game of hockey because, well, I am a born and raised Canadian, and that's what we do. I live in the Metro Vancouver area, so I make Vancouver Canucks as my team, but I watch a lot of hockey and enjoy the efforts of a lot of players whether they be rookies, sophomores, or veterans.  I even remember Green as a player and his greasy mullet haircut, so classic, puts a smile on my face.

The Canucks are young, and if anything suffer for the lack of veterans. The Sedins are still statesmen of the game, and still in great condition, but they also understand their role and accept they need to move out of the first line role, oddly they remain healthy and put anyone with them and goals happen. Yet it is not their job to carry the team, it never was. Teams are suppose to have four lines. Other players must step up. Ergo, young team, not enough NHL experience, not everyone who steps into to the NHL is an instant star and it may take time to hit their stride. Look how Vancouver gifted Boston with Cam Neely for superstar Barry Pederson. Gee gosh, thanks a lot Harry Neale, and to make things even worse is Boston got a draft pick that became a real top notch defenceman and genuine gentleman, Glen Wesley. No wonder the Canucks need a towel.....to cry into. (Oh yeah, Iain MacIntyre I'm after your job, okay, not really)

Cheers

Ummm...what??

Sedins, Eriksson, Sutter, Vanek, Gagner, Edler, Tanev heck even MDZ, Guddy and Burmistrov can be considered veterans at this point all well over 325 games. Thats basically half the team so your comment is pretty ridiculous.

7 hours ago, The Big Luongo said:

This is exactly why useless Chaput has to go and Labate should be playing. The guy seems to be on every other damn goal against making bad some errors in that mix.

Also our defense has been horrendous and these mistakes by Del Zotto and company just can't happen and it might be time for coach to teach some guys a hard lesson and sit players like Del Zotto, Edler  Gagner who are making more errors than the kids who constantly get the book thrown at them by the coaches.

Seeing this soft play by the vets when the team really needs them is absolutely sickening.

I get a kick out of people that expected much if anything from Vanek, MDZ and Gagner. Yes, Vanek has done OK but has like 2 goals in his last 18 games and MDZ has put up some points but is a disaster alot of nights in his own zone. Each of these 3 players is literally on their 4th-5th (7th for Vanek) team in the last 5 years. Why do you suppose that is?

I don't know if it is in Jake's DNA but one of these days he needs to stand up and lay a beatdown on one of these guys who challenges him after a big hit.  Right now he lays big hits but I don't sense other teams fearing him.  He's a big strong guy and he's going to have to show the players around the league that he is in charge when he decides to play physically.  I don't think PK would've blindsided Lucic after a hit like that.  

Now tanev out ,Hockey gods sending jim a clear message ...sell sell selll selll selll.

I need a gif of when the camera panned to Jim  highlight of the night. Lol.

that and jake crushing a pred.

the worst +/- players on the team and almost the league vanek and gagme followed closely by MDZ.

money well spent,lol. hope he can turn them into draft picks.

call up lebate and Archie and send down the always useless chapoo and gagme.

rebuilding, with most pieces not here yet. with the pieces here, being horvat, boeser, virtanen, not sure which d-men are part of it.  

the team is trying to hold things together until the new core arrives. 

they are in tough but they deserve our support, and understanding of the situation they are in. 

the team is just not good enough right now to make their fans proud. 

i thank them for this difficult situation they are trying to get through, 

have you ever played in a game where you've been miss-matched .? you try your best but your just not good enough. 

4 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

rebuilding, with most pieces not here yet. with the pieces here, being horvat, boeser, virtanen, not sure which d-men are part of it.  

the team is trying to hold things together until the new core arrives. 

they are in tough but they deserve our support, and understanding of the situation they are in. 

the team is just not good enough right now to make their fans proud. 

i thank them for this difficult situation they are trying to get through, 

have you ever played in a game where you've been miss-matched .? you try your best but your just not good enough. 

Joe, I've been around as long as this team has been around. I see a few games every year, and that debacle last night was absolutely terrible if you are a Canuck fan. That effort last night might have been top five worst. I tried really hard to find one player that was noticeable, not one was. When the highlight of the night is a fan winning a car, you know it's bad. Passes in skates, suspect goaltending on at least 3 goals, shorthanded goals against, getting outshot two to one, own goal, defensive coverage was horrible, it was pretty bad. Hopefully, the new core is worth waiting for.

This was what the other teams looked like when the Canucks had those Cup contenders. Believe me, Smashville is one of them. When a team is so deep at center, that they have to play Bonino on the wing, you know they are deep. 

Green wished the hit was earlier into the game and not once the score was already 7-1.  Gaunce had zero hits and Chaput only 1.  Virtanen had 3.  The Canucks actually outhit the Predators 17 to 9.  Via Kuzma in the Province:

“I saw it on the replay. I don’t even know if it was a penalty (high sticking, roughing and 10-minute misconduct), to be honest. It was a hit other teams don’t like when it’s 7-1, I get that part of the game. I would like a big hit early in the game on a big forecheck from someone on our team. There are a few who can do that and we’re looking for that all the time from them.”

10 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"I'm not concerned with execution or effort right now. I thought the first two periods we had a pretty good effort. You look at the goals, there's 3 weird bouncing goals. A shorthanded goal. And that's hard on the psyche of a team that isn't going to score easy." - Green

what a bunch of $&!#!  I am getting sick of players and the coach talking like it's no big deal.  Show some emotion and call it what it is.  Crap hockey.

1 hour ago, combover said:

Now tanev out ,Hockey gods sending jim a clear message ...sell sell selll selll selll.

I need a gif of when the camera panned to Jim  highlight of the night. Lol.

that and jake crushing a pred.

the worst +/- players on the team and almost the league vanek and gagme followed closely by MDZ.

money well spent,lol. hope he can turn them into draft picks.

call up lebate and Archie and send down the always useless chapoo and gagme.

https://twitter.com/vanessajang/status/941178808056479745/photo/1

29 minutes ago, mll said:

Green wished the hit was earlier into the game and not once the score was already 7-1.  Gaunce had zero hits and Chaput only 1.  Virtanen had 3.  The Canucks actually outhit the Predators 17 to 9.  Via Kuzma in the Province:

“I saw it on the replay. I don’t even know if it was a penalty (high sticking, roughing and 10-minute misconduct), to be honest. It was a hit other teams don’t like when it’s 7-1, I get that part of the game. I would like a big hit early in the game on a big forecheck from someone on our team. There are a few who can do that and we’re looking for that all the time from them.”

I like that Green is standing behind his player(and he should), it’s a compliment to the way he (jake)can and should be playing.if jake can get this back in his game and unlearn what POS Willie taught him he will be very effective,

i don’t know what the roger stats guys call a hit but if vancouver threw 5 real hits last night I would be suprised.

maybe they are so use to the buttercup hockey Vancouver has been playing for 4years that if the wind from a fly by moves the oppositions sweater they class it as a hit.

2 minutes ago, CanucksCulprit said:

what a bunch of $&!#!  I am getting sick of players and the coach talking like it's no big deal.  Show some emotion and call it what it is.  Crap hockey.

this time is all developing good habbits, accountability and character with the young guys.  im sure green loves winning but this adversity is probably just as important.

if he calls out his team and makes a scene his impact and trust with his players will run out quickly.  green will talk to them either as a group or as individuals and help them work through things.  he has his guys backs i like that.

Archived