The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Tanev out 2-3 weeks with groin strain

Roberts

This is one of the main reasons I am still so keen on shipping him out.  He's like Mike Green in his prime.  Amazing defenseman, but always injured.

I'd like to see him shopped personally and who cares about our poor defensive play this year if it happens.  If he has value THIS is the draft to cash in on him for with so many stud defensive prospects

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This is one of the main reasons I am still so keen on shipping him out.  He's like Mike Green in his prime.  Amazing defenseman, but always injured.

I'd like to see him shopped personally and who cares about our poor defensive play this year if it happens.  If he has value THIS is the draft to cash in on him for with so many stud defensive prospects

Yup. Get him healthy and send him to the highest bidder. Pronto. 

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I was never really a fan of doing this until this year. For one reason mainly. And that is, in 3 years when (maybe, if the stars align) he's still only 30, he's in a prime position to really helps us out on the defensive side of things when the games count post-season.
Thing is, with his history do you wanna depend on that guy as your #1 when games count? What happens if we're on the cusp of making the West Final and he blows a gasket? 
(toilet flushes...)

This organization has made enough mistakes with regards to (not) moving veteran players when their value was higher to another team, than it is ours. 

Yes his loss will hurt, but that's not to say this team, when healthy, can't compete without him. It opens up opportunity for guys like McEneny, or Holm and/or increased responsibility for guys like Pouliot who seems to be coming along very nicely. 

Juolevi has 14 pts in 20 games with a +9 playing against big boys this year. Who knows? 

The only issue I have with moving Tanev, is it means Edler is here to stay for the foreseeable future. Or until some kid comes in and forces Bennings hand. 

3 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

I was never really a fan of doing this until this year. For one reason mainly. And that is, in 3 years when (maybe, if the stars align) he's still only 30, he's in a prime position to really helps us out on the defensive side of things when the games count post-season.
Thing is, with his history do you wanna depend on that guy as your #1 when games count? What happens if we're on the cusp of making the West Final and he blows a gasket? 
(toilet flushes...)

This organization has made enough mistakes with regards to (not) moving veteran players when their value was higher to another team, than it is ours. 

Yes his loss will hurt, but that's not to say this team, when healthy, can't compete without him. It opens up opportunity for guys like McEneny, or Holm and/or increased responsibility for guys like Pouliot who seems to be coming along very nicely. 

Juolevi has 14 pts in 20 games with a +9 playing against big boys this year. Who knows? 

The only issue I have with moving Tanev, is it means Edler is here to stay for the foreseeable future. Or until some kid comes in and forces Bennings hand. 

2012 I was screaming for the Caps to ship out Green then he got hurt and then he got hurt and again and again and again and he hasn't been the same defenceman since that rash of issues from 2010 through 2013.

Tanev is a guy we've ALL talked about eating an absurd amount of abuse and chuckling as he shrugged it off.  It's catching up to him.  The kid is a stud defensive defenceman.  But knowing we're not going to be more than a bubble team until about 2020/2021 why wait.  His contract is beautiful, his value is as high as it ever will be.

As much as I love the kid I look at him in the same sense as Edler, once Eddie got hurt and his back went he was never the same guy.  What if this groin issue is the one which affects Tanevs skating to the point he's not as effective?  What about the next one, or the one after that.  Every year he has 10+ games off due to injury and his time spent on LTIR or in recovery for maintenance is only increasing.

Strike before he Greens out on us

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

2012 I was screaming for the Caps to ship out Green then he got hurt and then he got hurt and again and again and again and he hasn't been the same defenceman since that rash of issues from 2010 through 2013.

Tanev is a guy we've ALL talked about eating an absurd amount of abuse and chuckling as he shrugged it off.  It's catching up to him.  The kid is a stud defensive defenceman.  But knowing we're not going to be more than a bubble team until about 2020/2021 why wait.  His contract is beautiful, his value is as high as it ever will be.

As much as I love the kid I look at him in the same sense as Edler, once Eddie got hurt and his back went he was never the same guy.  What if this groin issue is the one which affects Tanevs skating to the point he's not as effective?  What about the next one, or the one after that.  Every year he has 10+ games off due to injury and his time spent on LTIR or in recovery for maintenance is only increasing.

Strike before he Greens out on us

For the record:

$4.45M cap hit for the next 3 seasons (including this year)

That would look mighty palatable to a contending team looking for a big bump on the back end at the deadline I would think. (or even before. why wait) 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I have been impressed with Tanev's game so far this year but the ongoing injuries reinforce my desire that he be traded. His style of game almost begs the question if he will get injured for when. Either Tanev or Edler would likely bring a 1st Rounder back which is more important than keeping them. 

Tanev possibly a late 1st rounder although his injury history may hamper that one,  but no way does Edler get anywhere close to a 1st rounder at this point in his career. Id take a 2nd and run if it were even a possibility.

1 minute ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Tanev possibly a late 1st rounder although his injury history may hamper that one,  but no way does Edler get anywhere close to a 1st rounder at this point in his career. Id take a 2nd and run if it were even a possibility.

As much as I hate watching him play, there’s no way Benning deals Edler for only a 2nd rounder. You’re going to trade a top 4 defender in his late prime for a future question mark? Come on now. 

Trade the guy already

What good is having a so

called “glue guy” on the blue line when he only plays 2/3 of the year?

in 2-3 years, which is our target to be competitive, what condition will a 32 year old tanev be in? who will have many more injuries to his name by then and a lot more mileage

a 1st round pick or a solid prospect would be much more beneficial at that stage than an aged, brittle tanev 

White flag goes up.

shame on those saying trade Tanev. He is our best dman and would not get full trade value back. He was a plus player last year when we’re one of the worst  teams in the league. You don’t trade a guy like him and improve as a team. His injuries aren’t on the Salo level.

Archived