The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Erik Gudbranson

I don't think EG was as easily replaceable in free agency as some may think. He wants to be here and that matters a lot. UFA players aren't exactley jumping over each other anymore to sign here. That will change as the team gets better. I like the consistancy that will come with re-signing players that want to be a Canuck. 

last year he  had a few injuries ,amounting to him being  available to half  games same with this season up until his return , I've given the benefit of the doubt for not establishing himself or settling into his role , but he has shown his pugilistic side , his net front presence side ,,i'd like to see some more bone crushing opponent's zone entry hits like the one on  taylor hall  which I hope  he can duplicate on him and everyone else. glad he's still a canuck !

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I didn't really want to get into this and I'll probably avoid discussions after this (we'll see I guess).

Personally, I don't want to speak on behalf of anyone else, just myself. This will be my honest opinion coming from my standpoint.

Right now, our team sucks. It's not 100% nor will I ever claim it to be 100% unless if we actually win a Stanley Cup. We can always improve as a team.

You asked me a question a while ago: "Would it be a failure if Benning lets Guddy walk at the end of the season?" You implied it to be a rhetorical question. Obviously, we got into a fairly long discussion after that. I felt your wording of that question could have perhaps been a little better. Questions like that are better asked in a neutral tone and words like "failure" are negative. It's why people like Botchford tend to be not well liked. Obviously, this isn't a popularity contest, nor should it be and that's not my point. My point is more how you word things can influence the kind of argument you get. You want a solid debate? Come up with more neutral questions and then let people freely express their opinions rather than throw into an implication to where people who may think otherwise are literally being backed against a wall right off the bat.

It's okay to be critical of things. I get that. I can be that way too. I have no problem with that. However, I just want good debates in the end without feeling the need to attack others and without feeling attacked. Sometimes I get frustrated as well. I just as a discussion in another thread with someone that I'm simply going to stop debating with because they just keep stating the same thing over and over no matter what points I bring up. It's frustrating and disappointing as I wanted a debate and instead got a cat fight.

I guess my biggest advice is don't be part of the problem. Take that as you will, but by calling out others, does that really make you any better? Don't just merely react to that statement either. I challenge you to spend a while to think about it before even replying. ;)

Sure I can accept that sometimes my posts come off condescending and maybe I need to work on that.

At the same time im not going to walk on egg shells or adjust my opinions based on how other will react Take that for how you want to. If people want to get upset becuase I said the word failure, I’m sorry but I’m not changing my stance. 

It comes down to too many fans becoming the protective parent unable to accept anything other than praise about their kid. If your posts don’t talk about how perfect our draft pick was or how great the trade is, your seen as a hater.  Heck I can’t even state that Tkachuk is a heck of a hockey player without getting called out. It probably has to do with canucks long history of constantly being picked on and now everything not seeing as immediate praise is look at as hate.  I made a simple statement (with evidence) that this signing was a good signing for canucks. But a slight overpayment in league standards. I don’t know how more neutral that statement could have been. Yet it still set of a firestorm

I can take away and consider the tone of my messsges but im not going to stop posting my opinions. If people want to conclude it’s canucks hate, then so be it. I can tell you it’s not hate. Just me telling it like it is. The good and the bad

16 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sure I can accept that sometimes my posts come off condescending and maybe I need to work on that.

At the same time im not going to walk on egg shells or adjust my opinions based on how other will react Take that for how you want to. If people want to get upset becuase I said the word failure, I’m sorry but I’m not changing my stance. 

It comes down to too many fans becoming the protective parent unable to accept anything other than praise about their kid. If your posts don’t talk about how perfect our draft pick was or how great the trade is, your seen as a hater.  Heck I can’t even state that Tkachuk is a heck of a hockey player without getting called out. It probably has to do with canucks long history of constantly being picked on and now everything not seeing as immediate praise is look at as hate.  I made a simple statement (with evidence) that this signing was a good signing for canucks. But a slight overpayment in league standards. I don’t know how more neutral that statement could have been. Yet it still set of a firestorm

I can take away and consider the tone of my messsges but im not going to stop posting my opinions. If people want to conclude it’s canucks hate, then so be it. I can tell you it’s not hate. Just me telling it like it is. The good and the bad

Hypocritical troll.

22 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

@The Lock  see what I mean /\

i made a statement that was 100% neutral, yet someone still got offended and felt the need to troll. You just can’t win.  

I'm laughing my arse off at the irony, hyperbole and hypocrisy, not 'offended' FWIW.

'Firestorm' :lol:

44 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

This board is a funny thing for sure.  I feel like most people post on here to express their own thought rather than coming in within an open mind.  You express your opinions in a very direct and assertive manner which does come across negatively to a lot of people.  Your arguments are generally well thought out and do have merit in their own right.  I think for some people, who are on here more than they should be, already know you not for an individual post but your overall tone.  That tone is starkly negative and critical.  Some people are naturally contrarian, and they have a lot of insight, but they are rarely liked by others precisely because they are contrarian. 

More picks, give youth a chance, Tkachuk over Joulevi, Benning is wasteful with picks, Gagner sucks.  I think you are also in the Sbisa/Sutter/Dorsett/Gudbranson over paid camp too.  Mostly negative stuff...

Now some on here are little overly positive with the team being consistently bad, but for the long time fans it sucks to constantly hear how the sky is falling when the first time in forever the Canucks have a Boeser, Petterson, Lind, Joulevi, Dahlen, Gaudette, etc...coming up.  There are enough negative things on the ice to get upset about.  Success and failure in the NHL is on the margin.  Vegas isn't that good and they wont win the cup and they wont be even a playoff team next year, but whatever is in the water over there has them top of the league this year.  Columbus is a great example of that year over year. 

I have plenty of opinions I can/have/will get flayed for so the fact that some people don't like your opinions isn't really a big deal.  But don't act surprised as to why.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What would you consider that last two pages. Calm winds?  

Don’t even bother. This is the only forum where criticism is synonymous with trolling. As you’ve just experienced, posters opt for a personal attack over a hockey discussion.

Oh yeah and stats are useless unless someone from the cult wants to use them. 

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'm glad you are considering my post. In no way have I told you to not express your opinion nor will I ever tell you that. This is a forum which is meant for opinions, so it would be rather silly to suggest that especially when what I am providing you is my opinion of your tonality of your opinion. That would be the most messed up hypocritical thing I could do if I actually suggested that. lol

I want to get one thing clear. I did not get upset on the word "failure" so if that's what you were thinking or are implying, it's not the case at all. I merely pointed out why I thought it was a faulty word. I actually thought back on that later on and realized I should have worded my stance differently, but I've now already stated my stance with that question with my previous post.

It's easy to get wrapped up in thinking someone else it upset if you yourself get really into the discussion as well , but I bet you a lot of the time, that's not really the case at all. I felt we had a great discussion until the point where, for whatever reason, you seemed to go off in a tangent and started calling out agent and others in our discussion. It was as if you snapped halfway through the conversation which, at the time, left me confused and not really wanting to continue the discussion at that point (plus it was during exams and was providing too much of an extraction with my studying lol). Now obviously words are words and not necessarily emotions, but emotions can still somewhat be conveyed in words (otherwise we wouldn't have literature or lyrics, etc). Perhaps again though, that could be the flip side with me thinking you were getting "upset". ;)

You seem focused on a single term in all of this: perfection. Perhaps it's because I haven't really had many major debates with the more "positive group" as I tend to sway more positive than negative, but I personally don't get the sense that people get under fire for having an opinion as much. I've stated negative things before and, even then, never really felt too many flames were going my way. This goes back to how things are worded. One thing I've found is if I word things in a constructive manor, people are more willing to listen to my opinion and accept that I'm not 100% for things. I still have my doubts on Evander Kane being who we need for example and, don't get me wrong, people have good reasons as to why he should be here. I'm just not convinced he is "the answer" so to speak. (This is just an example by the way to anyone who wants to still fight my opinion about it in here and not elsewhere lol)

Anyway, this went way longer than I thought it would. I'm glad you are considering things. We are all Canuck fans in the end and no one should be accused otherwise, regardless of whether they want to be "110% positive" or critical of all of the fine details. ;)

4 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Yeah... Sbisa, Prust, Clendenning, Virtanen and Gudbranson defs make me worship Benning :lol:

well Sbisa - relative to what you said about him - Benning nailed it and you were in another ballpark entirely.

Gudbranson - we'll see when the larger sample is in. Look forward to it.

Likewise with Virtanen.

Naming guys like Prust - is a stretch and wasn't on the scorecard.  Did you say something at the time that could possibly get you to 1-7?

3 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Yeah... Sbisa, Prust, Clendenning, Virtanen and Gudbranson defs make me worship Benning :lol:

Clendenning is kind of a sore, yet not so sore, spot for me. It hurts because we didn't get anything for Forsling in the end nor do we have Forsling. On the other hand, Benning sniped Forsling in the 5th round: a round where you seldom expect players to even make the NHL. Plus I do prefer Sutter to Bonino to be honest.

So it's just.... I dunno.... kinda split? lol

Archived