The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sabres trade Evander Kane to Sharks for Dan O'Reagan, 2019 conditional 1st-round pick, 2020 4th-round pick

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the one thing that could come back to bite the Canucks is an accuser coming forward after he signs a large deal here. Even if its not true, that could throw a big shadow over the team for quite a while. I know that can happen to any player but he seems more likely for something like that to happen. Even if he cleaned up his act that past of his.... its a hard choice to decide just how likely or risky that really is. 

Totally agreed.  He is an easy target and soooo many are happy to play BS games for the attention and some easy money.   Fall into him "accidentally" at a bar and claim they were grabbed etc.   Not saying it could happen but with him, likelihood much higher.

PS - thanks for taking mom comment the way it was intended.   Never know around here with people's sense of humour...your's always has seemed solid and nicely twisted.

9 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Totally agreed.  He is an easy target and soooo many are happy to play BS games for the attention and some easy money.   Fall into him "accidentally" at a bar and claim they were grabbed etc.   Not saying it could happen but with him, likelihood much higher.

PS - thanks for taking mom comment the way it was intended.   Never know around here with people's sense of humour...your's always has seemed solid and nicely twisted.

I really have to contain myself sometimes. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would still be interested in signing him if the right terms could be had. He seems to be trending in the right direction in terms of his maturity and focus. 

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04/11/does-this-shark-deserve-his-bad-boy-rep-let-evander-kane-tell-the-story/

Kane wants the next chunk of his career to be defined by his dominance on the ice — and a solid reputation away from it.

“I still have a good 11 seasons left. That’s definitely more than enough time to change some people’s minds and leave some different impressions,” he said. “A few years ago, I was a little more hard-headed. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that your reputation is important. Everyone wants to be viewed in the light that they see themselves in.”

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Remember some were saying you can't rebuild on the fly, and you have to tank?

San Jose and Boston may not win a cup but with the right moves, you can rebuild on the fly. 

The difference you need depth, good drafting even in the later rounds. 

The difference is you need a number 1 centre and dman then you can retool/rebuild on the fly. If you don't have those you have to acquire them and the easiest way to do that is from the draft.

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Remember some were saying you can't rebuild on the fly, and you have to tank?

San Jose and Boston may not win a cup but with the right moves, you can rebuild on the fly. 

The difference you need depth, good drafting even in the later rounds. 

SJS looks to be running out of rope a bit in that regard. They've still got some good young players but their prospect pool is starting to get thin. Whether they can retool yet again, around their current youth in the next few years, will be interesting to watch. If Kane decides to re-sign there, it will certainly help them maintain competitiveness and help them to keep getting younger/renew.

BOS has a ton of young players and a relatively deep pool still. They're pretty set for the next 5'ish years.

23 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

To all the people who said Kane sucked and would NEVER want him on the Canucks, his dominance has silenced you and the rest of us have our fingers crossed hoping Benning can entice him to join this team!

still don't want him

you do realize he is in a contract year

and playing for a new contract

and is on his best behaviour

and focused on a playoff run

time will tell

i'm prepared to wait longer

as an aside

manziel used the same sort of language

trying to rehab his image

and managed to remain looking good for an extended period of time

well over a year

and then just blew up that new image/reputation recently

this stuff takes time

reputations cannot just be painted on

they need to be earned

and become part of ones core

36 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

To all the people who said Kane sucked and would NEVER want him on the Canucks, his dominance has silenced you and the rest of us have our fingers crossed hoping Benning can entice him to join this team!

I think Kane's a really good player but I always felt he was the kind of player that needed a strong veteran leadership core to succeed. Buffalo does not have that and neither did Winnipeg at the time. Though ironically he would fit in now as a Jet since that teams culture and leadership has solidified. 

The Sharks have a good leadership group (Pavelski, Burns, and Thorton) so it's no suprise that he's very good with the team. But I doubt he fits in a locker room with a young group like what Vancouver has right now. 

10 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I think Kane's a really good player but I always felt he was the kind of player that needed a strong veteran leadership core to succeed. Buffalo does not have that and neither did Winnipeg at the time. Though ironically he would fit in now as a Jet since that teams culture and leadership has solidified. 

The Sharks have a good leadership group (Pavelski, Burns, and Thorton) so it's no suprise that he's very good with the team. But I doubt he fits in a locker room with a young group like what Vancouver has right now. 

Lol he was great on Buffalo this year. 

42 minutes ago, aGENT said:

* Asset management. They wanted to keep him. 

They traded him to get value rather than lose him for nothing in free agency. 

Kane was quoted saying he would have liked to re-sign in Buffalo but a new deal was never on the table - they never contacted his representatives even if it was only to find out his price tag.  A lot of noise that ownership was really upset about his arrest and that might have played a role.  Maybe also cap considerations with Eichel's new deal kicking in.

49 minutes ago, mll said:

Kane was quoted saying he would have liked to re-sign in Buffalo but a new deal was never on the table - they never contacted his representatives even if it was only to find out his price tag.  A lot of noise that ownership was really upset about his arrest and that might have played a role.  Maybe also cap considerations with Eichel's new deal kicking in.

Sabre's should never have traded for Kane in the first place.  Who gives up a to four right shot Dman (Meyers) for a troubled winger?  

1 hour ago, mll said:

How could there possibly be a CAP problem in Buffalo? More likely they have trouble making the 'floor' rather than the 'ceiling'. IMHO one of the worst managed teams in the NHL. That said I can totally see why they wanted to move Kane. More trouble than he is worth on a rebuilding team. 

6 hours ago, iinatcc said:

But somehow still ended up being traded. 

They would have been stupid not to trade him. If they want to talk about a new contract they can do it in the summer. 

Was Vanek traded because he is useless and lazy? No, he was traded to gain assets.

1 hour ago, mll said:

Yes , well I've seen other info that said Kane wanted to move on, wanted to head out West, was for sure testing free agency and they traded him to at least get some assets back rather than just watch him walk for nothing.

Cap :lol:

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yes , well I've seen other info that said Kane wanted to move on, wanted to head out West, was for sure testing free agency and they traded him to at least get some assets back rather than just watch him walk for nothing.

Cap :lol:

It was in January where he was hopeful he could get a new deal and that didn't happen.  As they didn't approach him what other choice does he have.  

I just looked at their cap now and probably not an issue.

44 minutes ago, mll said:

It was in January where he was hopeful he could get a new deal and that didn't happen.  As they didn't approach him what other choice does he have.  

I just looked at their cap now and probably not an issue.

G7RQyHp.gif

Archived