The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sabres trade Evander Kane to Sharks for Dan O'Reagan, 2019 conditional 1st-round pick, 2020 4th-round pick

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Very good and very hard working player who can't help but do stupid things off of the ice that may eventually lead to an early downfall.

Fwiw, I  am very happy for the Sabres - don't take my mocking of that awful former GM's deal for what it's not.  I like what Botterill managed to recover for Kane - and that is despite the recent leaking internal conflict, and the fact that an extension could not be worked out as part of the Kane deal, effectively making him a rental.

Good job by Botterilll even if that pick winds up in the 17-25 range - that pck, O'Regan and a 4th is a pretty good recovery under the circumstances imo even if it might be slight loss on his market value were there term and less drama attached to it.  I hope he - and Housley - manage to maximize that return.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Fwiw, I  am very happy for the Sabres - don't take my mocking of that awful former GM's deal for what it's not.  I like what Botterill managed to recover for Kane - and that is despite the recent leaking internal conflict, and the fact that an extension could not be worked out as part of the Kane deal, effectively making him a rental.

Good job by Botterilll even if that pick winds up in the 17-25 range - that pck, O'Regan and a 4th is a pretty good recovery under the circumstances imo even if it might be slight loss on his market value were there term and less drama attached to it.  I hope he - and Housley - manage to maximize that return.

I understand your point.  You called out Tim Murray and knew what he was before anybody else.  I had hopes for him until his failures piled up to the point that they could no longer be forgiven or explained away.

If you go back to the day of the trade thread on CDC, I went uncharacteristically ape sh*t when I saw how much was given away in that trade.  I calmed down when I thought about it and realized that even though the players given away were decent, they would never be great.

Lemieux's father was a problem once he learned his son wasn't going to be given an immediate spot in the NHL so he had to go.  His dad has connections to the Jets so that was the best place for him.  Stafford did what Stafford does, has a very good contract year, then returns to mediocrity. The Jets realized that and tossed him.  This may end up being his last year in the NHL.  He's just horrible now.

That 1st round pick that he carelessly tossed onto the pile still rubs at me to this day though.  With his track record, it's doubtful that he would have had the foresight to choose Roslovic like the Jets did but it still could have brought in a decent pick or player.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

I understand your point.  You called out Tim Murray and knew what he was before anybody else.  I had hopes for him until his failures piled up to the point that they could no longer be forgiven or explained away.

If you go back to the day of the trade thread on CDC, I went uncharacteristically ape sh*t when I saw how much was given away in that trade.  I calmed down when I thought about it and realized that even though the players given away were decent, they would never be great.

Lemieux's father was a problem once he learned his son wasn't going to be given an immediate spot in the NHL so he had to go.  His dad has connections to the Jets so that was the best place for him.  Stafford did what Stafford does, has a very good contract year, then returns to mediocrity. The Jets realized that and tossed him.  This may end up being his last year in the NHL.  He's just horrible now.

That 1st round pick that he carelessly tossed onto the pile still rubs at me to this day though.  With his track record, it's doubtful that he would have had the foresight to choose Roslovic like the Jets did but it still could have brought in a decent pick or player.

Oh well - new page though - and I thnk Botterill/Housley are a big upgrade even if it will take time to translate.

29 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Oh well - new page though - and I thnk Botterill/Housley are a big upgrade even if it will take time to translate.

Here's hoping it does.  They need to clean house.  The lackluster play on the ice is ridiculous at times.  I can watch bad play while hoping for better days, but I can't stand watching half of the team going through the motions while they happily collect an NHL payday.

There's a reason why the Sabres were only able to move one player today.

That seems like a pretty low return for someone who was seen as the top winger available - a 2nd if he doesn't get re-signed (or win the Cup) and a 24 year old RFA.

If you are the Bruins why do you pay the price you paid to get Nash and not Kane?   

17 minutes ago, mll said:

That seems like a pretty low return for someone who was seen as the top winger available - a 2nd if he doesn't get re-signed (or win the Cup) and a 24 year old RFA.

If you are the Bruins why do you pay the price you paid to get Nash and not Kane?   

team culture. Nash is almost certain to fit in, Kane has questions. And playoff experience, Kane has none. Makes sense to me (even though I do think Nash was an overpayment).

21 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

team culture. Nash is almost certain to fit in, Kane has questions. And playoff experience, Kane has none. Makes sense to me (even though I do think Nash was an overpayment).

Cassidy did say that he hoped that any deal would not mess the chemistry in the room - he thinks it's a big part of their success.

I was hoping for an on-ice play explanation. 

The Mercury News say that the Sharks were going to look at him in free agency but it now gives them the opportunity to see how he fits in the room.  They think they have a strong culture but want to see how he interacts with their core. The article highlights how cheap he was to acquire and that there was not that much interest by other teams.

If it's indeed an off-ice reason and teams have likely done their due diligence - I don't see the Canucks signing him with so many young players coming up soon.  Green and Weisbrod also have very high standards on character. 

I'm so on the fence with trying to sign this guy. Sometimes I'm all in. Then I watch him play and maybe I just keep catching some sub par games but I'm not seeing it. I hope the Sharks make the post season. It would be a great place to evaluate Kane at. 

6 hours ago, rekker said:

I'm so on the fence with trying to sign this guy. Sometimes I'm all in. Then I watch him play and maybe I just keep catching some sub par games but I'm not seeing it. I hope the Sharks make the post season. It would be a great place to evaluate Kane at. 

He is never a stand out influence in any of the games I've seen either, even when he is scoring. But hell, if he scores consistently I could stand the fact he doesn't influence the flow of games.

On 2018-02-28 at 8:01 AM, mll said:

Cassidy did say that he hoped that any deal would not mess the chemistry in the room - he thinks it's a big part of their success.

I was hoping for an on-ice play explanation. 

The Mercury News say that the Sharks were going to look at him in free agency but it now gives them the opportunity to see how he fits in the room.  They think they have a strong culture but want to see how he interacts with their core. The article highlights how cheap he was to acquire and that there was not that much interest by other teams.

If it's indeed an off-ice reason and teams have likely done their due diligence - I don't see the Canucks signing him with so many young players coming up soon.  Green and Weisbrod also have very high standards on character. 

Hopefully his negatives are over-stated, and the Canucks can also acquire him for cheaper-than-expected in free agency.

My only real trepidation has been what he might command in $/term. But I'm starting to think a shorter term deal (3-4 years) at not much more than his current cap hit is looking quite plausible.

To me this is all history repeating. 

Paul Kariya was from the Vancouver area, did we ever sign him in free agency? No.

Joe Sakic is from Burnaby, did the Canucks ever sign him in free agency? No.

Even Milan Lucic signed in Edmonton over Vancouver. 

Just because you're from here doesn't mean you will sign here. 

Kane is on his third club, I don't think his negatives are over-stated. If they weren't why would a team like Buffalo who needs talent trade him for a late round 1st? 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

To me this is all history repeating. 

Paul Kariya was from the Vancouver area, did we ever sign him in free agency? No.

Joe Sakic is from Burnaby, did the Canucks ever sign him in free agency? No.

Even Milan Lucic signed in Edmonton over Vancouver. 

Just because you're from here doesn't mean you will sign here. 

Kane is on his third club, I don't think his negatives are over-stated. If they weren't why would a team like Buffalo who needs talent trade him for a late round 1st? 

The Sharks are in a playoff position - so late 2nd round.  It's only a 1st if they re-sign him or win the Cup.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

He is never a stand out influence in any of the games I've seen either, even when he is scoring. But hell, if he scores consistently I could stand the fact he doesn't influence the flow of games.

I suppose. Just gun shy after the LE contract. I hope Kane makes the playoffs and can showcase or not his skills. If he doesn't perform well maybe his contract demands adjust accordingly. If he wants to come here and we want him. 

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I suppose. Just gun shy after the LE contract. I hope Kane makes the playoffs and can showcase or not his skills. If he doesn't perform well maybe his contract demands adjust accordingly. If he wants to come here and we want him. 

My issue with Kane is the cost. As a UFA the player cost is eliminated. What remains is his contract in duration and CAP hit. What Buffalo got for Kane should reduce his cost but in a open market who knows. I do not think Vancouver should be paying Kane a premium in either term or pay. He will not be a team leader if his history is any indicator. Currently the two keys are Horvat and Boeser. The core require another two forwards and at least one d-man but should be two. 

Archived