The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake's Contract..Looks Like What???

Nuxfanabroad

34 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Jake Virtanen is a 21 year old prospect with high expectations.  He has not met those expectations yet, but there's is still a lot of room for improvement.  Why does anyone think he would agree to anything longer than a 2 year deal?

Let's say he gets offered $10 million for 4 years, 2.5/yr.  Why would he take this?  If he thinks he will improve and score 30-50 points in the coming years he will be worth more than just that.  Better to take two years at a cheaper rate and work his way towards the big payday.

On the office side, a shorter term deal is better if you're trying to trade the asset... for some odd reason.

The flip side is he's offered ten million, enough money for a lifetime of working for the average schmuck, and turns it down, takes a bridge and finds himself in Europe like dozens of other busts.  

I like JV and hope he's a keeper, but it's not a foregone conclusion yet either.  A short term deal makes sense for the team for a variety of reasons, I don't see anything more than a two or three year deal been on the table.

Comparables......JV has 8-9-17 to date this season

Baertchi 2 @ 1.85 coming off a 15-13-28 season

Ferland 2 @ 1.75 coming off a 15-10-25 season

Duclair 1 @ 1.2 coming off a 5-10-15 season

There are probably better comparables but I'm not digging through the whole league.  It's pretty clear that he will get less than Baertschi and Ferland.   I think that Duclair is slightly below Jake as well but is not far off.

Let's try 2 @ 1.35-1.5

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

So say he "shows us", big-time?! Around the same moment, you'll be juggling Brock's BIG $$$ raise, EP's expiring ELC, etc...

Also assuming we'll perhaps deal for 1 or 2 D-men that require some major pesoes. Maybe Try-man returns too.

I CAN'T see Jake(23, 24 yo) playing at a level below 2 mill/value. For this reason, I try to stretch this contract.

For one there's no way Jake signs a long term contract unless it's north of 3mil and max 3-4 years. 

Second, a money issue because Canucks all of a sudden have a plethora of stars does not sound like a bad thing.

Bridge contract is really the only logical way for both sides. He is showing signs of constant improvement and his agent will not sell him short.

1 hour ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

For one there's no way Jake signs a long term contract unless it's north of 3mil and max 3-4 years. 

Second, a money issue because Canucks all of a sudden have a plethora of stars does not sound like a bad thing.

Bridge contract is really the only logical way for both sides. He is showing signs of constant improvement and his agent will not sell him short.

In 2 years, he should be worth money

Archived