The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Bad Restaurant

brokensticks

Imagine this scenario.

You have been going to your favourite restaurant for years but lately they have served you horrible food. When you complain to management, they apologize and tell you that their current chef is old and slow and ready to retire. But they have a new chef coming who is still at BCIT and getting really high marks so please keep coming to our restaurant and eat the bad meals because things will get better.

What do you say to the restaurant owner?

5 minutes ago, brokensticks said:

Imagine this scenario.

You have been going to your favourite restaurant for years but lately they have served you horrible food. When you complain to management, they apologize and tell you that their current chef is old and slow and ready to retire. But they have a new chef coming who is still at BCIT and getting really high marks so please keep coming to our restaurant and eat the bad meals because things will get better.

I'll be back when the food is good again.  

Better hire a good chef in free agency because there's no telling if or when that kid at BCIT will be able to handle working for real.  Let alone produce consistent quality under pressure.

24 minutes ago, brokensticks said:

Imagine this scenario.

“I will keep coming, but It’s not to eat your food.  I like the visiting restaurants’ food.”

I'm surprized they even have a so called "chef" it takes at least 2 years of apprentiship to become a cook never mind a chef,and it alway puzzled me that they don't pay cooks and chefs good money for the amount of stress that job has,

just look at that A-hole on the cooking show screaming at people.and yet people are actually willing to put what they make in there mouth.

Just because you are in a kitchen doesn't mean you are a chef.I see even five star restaurants being closed because of health violations nevermind some average place.

Be careful out there food poisoning is no joke.

what if the cook is your father and he is retiring in a few months. would you turn your back on him or suggest that he take un less first line cooking? do you show your love and appreciation for all the great meals he has made over the years or do you prescribe to the cut throat solution and demand his removal?

If you want to keep supporting a neighbourhood restaurant you can always just go for a drink and appetizer since there is a lot of money for them in those and you can still support them without eating a full crappy meal. 

its early, I took it literally :picard:

OK I don't get it - we wanted a rebuild - that is what is happening.  What did you expect was going to happen. All these kids that are up and coming aren't ready to play here this season - hopefully some of them will be in the fall. Some of out aging vets are still under contract with NM and NT clauses. Their time is  coming to an end on this team - we know it and they know it too.

The attitude in this forum was so different when Brock, Bo and Baer were playing - now because  Brock and Baer are out with injuries and the team is struggling this place is like a sinking ship and the rats are escaping and complaining.

Some of this season has been some of the best entertaining hockey I have seen from the Canucks in years.And without a doubt the last games have been hard to watch. I feel so bad for the players - it has to be hard to lose  game in and game out.

So in the end I eat the burger on the  bun even though the place up the road has better food - and believe that next season will bring in more youth

And FYI I hear Moxies in Calgary serves up a mighty fine dish

Just my 2 cents worth.

Did I get this all wrong? Was this really about bad food at a rest or was this about our team playing poorly in the last stretch?

2 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I’m 99% sure this is a metaphor for the Canucks! :lol:

Don't think so. The bad food is his girlfriend, the management are her parents and the BCIT student is the younger sister, soon to home from her studies. It's a happy tale, we just don't know if it has a happy ending.

What if you have been going to that restaurant for the better part of 4 decades, and you know that this restaurant, along with all the others in the neighbourhood, go through bad cycles.  Your experience, and your reference to historical precedence, makes you realize that you have to be patient and you need to stick it out and wait for the new star chefs to get hired.   Its how things work.  Of course, as a long time patron, you knew that the owner should have done a complete renovation  about 5 years ago but in the grand scheme of things you couldnt really blame the guy who has a mountain of money tied up in the business for trying to patch up the place with a paint job and a couple extra hired hands.  You know now that the owner and manager are back on track and the restaurant has rebounded several times before.

I can see that newer patrons, especially younger ones that haven't seen the restaurant in a prolonged bad cycle before and are used to being quickly gratified with all of their modern entertainment options , would become highly critical and start complaining on yelp  and to who anyone else that would listen online.

It's an interesting dilemma.

Is it your favorite restaurant because the food used to be good or is it close to your house and you only support local?

Are there other restaurants that serve better food and are award winning but you hate the type of food they serve or do you know the chef and think he looks like a rat?

Did your dad and his dad eat there? Even though the foods bad is it fun to eat there?  

Did you grow up only eatting there and therefore refuse to go anywhere else and actually think Alex Burrows isn't a cheap shot artist?

Do you have faith in their process? 

Myself I love food. I love to sample different resturants but always have a favorite. Sampling other resturants makes me less biased towards my favorite resturant.

And to top it off- The manager tried to help out the old chef by bringing in experienced line cooks with strong backgrounds in neighbourhood cookery. Problem is, they're not any good either. Not only that, they keep getting sick and sometimes decide to not even show up for their shift.

I feel bad for the restaurant, so I haven't updated my review on yelp because I know what they can be. The manager's a good guy, the new servers are young and hot but still learning the ropes. The bartender looks like a rockstar but it's common for him to miss shots, forget recipies and usually serves a weak drink. 

I just order beer and fries. Hope the new cook can turn this place around

Archived