The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning and Linden quotes on Draft Prospects

Vinny in Vancouver

Since Jim Benning has been with the Canucks, he has been honest with giving his evaluation of the prospects. As an example, last year, there was good indication that Pettersson was in his top list. I'd like to collate quotes from him (and to a lesser degree, Linden) on the prospects. Here are some quotes from Benning on some of the players in this year's draft:

• Brady Tkachuk: "He plays similar to his brother but he’s longer. He’s always around the front of the net for dirty goals. He pays the price, gets rebounds and deflections. From the top of the circles in, he’s smart and has good offensive instincts."
  • Quinn Hughes:
    • on Hughes compared to Makar: "Makar can shoot the puck. He has a rocket for a shot. Quinn Hughes is more like Samuel Girard in Colorado. He’s a better skater than Girard, probably. He can carry the puck up ice and when teams are forechecking, he can really beat them with his speed. In that respect he’s like Makar. But he doesn’t have a bullet for a shot. He has an accurate shot, though, just not a rocket."
    • on Hughes' performance during the World Hockey Championship: "The way he skates, it helped him on the big surface because he could get back and carry the puck up ice, and it was just magnified on the big ice. We thought he was real good.”
  • On Adam Boqvist having the highest ceiling of all D not named Dahlin: "That sums him up, right on. He can rifle the puck and he’s a good offensive player. I still think, when he gets stronger he’ll be better defensively."
  • on Adam Boqvist, Benning said Boqvist’s ability to push the pace and unleash a good shot are why the 5-foot-11, 170-pound product of Brynas IF is commanding attention.  
  • on Adam Boqvist: "He’s a good player in his own right. Other guys just have a more well-rounded game."
  • On Wahlstrom's ability to play centre: "Wahlstrom can play centre too, and we want to be sure we get the best guy here."
  • On Noah Dobson:
    • "He’s a smart player and a good skater. He gets shots through and makes a good first pass. He plays a quiet, simple, skilled game. He’s another one who needs to get stronger but he’s smart."
    • "It’s just his overall game. He’s a good heads-up player and it’s his ability to read the game and move the puck up fast with good offensive instincts. He seems to find the holes and he’s got a good shot.”
  • on Evan Bouchard: "He would play 35 minutes a game, which is amazing in itself. He’d stay out for the whole power play and kill penalties and had by far had the most ice time of any player in this draft. They (Knights) relied heavily on him and he was good."
  • on Bouchard joining the NHL this coming season: "He's physically mature. Big and strong and has good speed, and with a good summer, he'll have an easier time adjusting - but time will tell."

Hughes just doesn't need to have a rocket, he IS a rocket. 
They are pretty high on Boqvist obviously. 

i call this horrible season (and the lottery) a success if we'll land Boqvist or Tkachuk.

Hughes or Wahstrom could be the extreme consolation prices, but not sure that would be enough to calm my stomach.  

16 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Expects Bouchard gone at 3-4, maybe?

Expects Tkachuk to be around though? Interesting if that's the case. Most have him all but assured a top 4 spot. I think these were just the guys he was asked about. Or were just the guys Botch was interested in and omitted the parts where he talked about some other guys. I'd rather hear Benning talk about these guys rather than read about it. Purely for the reason the writers can just leave out things that he said.

6 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

They know that he’s to good to fall out of the top 5. If he does, it’s a no brainer. You don’t pass on the next Doughty. 

I agree he's the #5 but the scouts sure don't.  I want him, Boq or Wahl. I am fine with Hughes but Bouchard and Boqs QB skills impressed me more. That said I have only seen about 5-6 games from each guy. .  

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Since Jim Benning has been with the Canucks, he has been honest with giving his evaluation of the prospects. As an example, last year, there was good indication that Pettersson was in his top list. I'd like to collate quotes from him (and to a lesser degree, Linden) on the prospects. Here are some early quotes from Benning on some of the players in this year's draft (http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/jason-botchford-canucks-focus-on-picking-seventh-after-dream-of-no-1-dies):

• Brady Tkachuk: "He plays similar to his brother but he’s longer. He’s always around the front of the net for dirty goals. He pays the price, gets rebounds and deflections. From the top of the circles in, he’s smart and has good offensive instincts."
  • Quinn Hughes compared to Makar: "Makar can shoot the puck. He has a rocket for a shot. Quinn Hughes is more like Samuel Girard in Colorado. He’s a better skater than Girard, probably. He can carry the puck up ice and when teams are forechecking, he can really beat them with his speed. In that respect he’s like Makar. But he doesn’t have a bullet for a shot. He has an accurate shot, though, just not a rocket."
  • On Adam Boqvist having the highest ceiling of all D not named Dahlin: "That sums him up, right on. He can rifle the puck and he’s a good offensive player. I still think, when he gets stronger he’ll be better defensively."
  • On Wahlstrom's ability to play centre: "Wahlstrom can play centre too, and we want to be sure we get the best guy here."
  • On Noah Dobson: "He’s a smart player and a good skater. He gets shots through and makes a good first pass. He plays a quiet, simple, skilled game. He’s another one who needs to get stronger but he’s smart."

Thanks to Vinny for going to effort of collecting quotes. Vinny is right in saying that Benning has generally been honest -- surprisingly honest -- about his views on the draft. I remember being surprised, for example, that he signaled that the Canucks might take a D at #5 in 2016 -- and they did. (They wanted and expected Dubois at #5, but Columbus took him earlier.) It might be strategically better to say less but I admit that I am interested in what he has to say pre-draft. I don't think Linden will be giving anything away, though.  

58 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

No mention of Bouchard eh....

48 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Expects Bouchard gone at 3-4, maybe?

It very, very unlikey that Bouchard goes at 3 or 4 and I am sure Benning is not expecting that. The consolidated rankings given by https://canucksarmy.com/2018/04/20/2018-nhl-draft-consolidated-industry-rankings-for-april-2018/ are based on 11 of the most well respected rankings. Bouchard averages out at #8 and the highest ranking he gets is #5. He is rated #4 among North American skaters  by NHL central scouting, but that means he is almost certainly #6 overall in their list (behind Dahlin and Boqvist). So no-one credible has him at 3 or 4 overall.

Personally, I would be happy with Bouchard at #7 but there have been rumours allegedly based on inside knowledge that the Canucks are not that high on Bouchard. The knocks on Bouchard are i) that he is not a great skater and ii) that he lacks intensity.  While it is true that some guys are unable to transition a high scoring junior career to the NHL because of limited skating ability (Dane Fox among others), I think the data shows that being results oriented is more important -- i.e. if a guy can score, that is the key thing. The knock on Matthew Tkachuk in 2016 was that he was not a great skater. He has still been excellent in the NHL. Sometimes guys improve their skating (Horvat) and sometimes they just get the job done without being great skaters (Sedins). And some great skaters cannot parlay that into significant NHL success. Knowing where to go is more important than going to the wrong spot, but getting there fast.  (Compare Boeser and Virtanen, for example.)

As for lacking intensity, the positive spin is that Bouchard is very calm on the ice. No one is going to confuse him with Biega.

From the combination of rumours and quotes from Benning, I think the Canucks internal ranking (after the top 3) probably has Tkachuk next. They would grab him at 7 in the unlikely event he is available but are not expecting that. They probably have Boqvist next. After that it is hard to read, but my guess is Dobson next, then it could be either Bouchard or Hughes, with Wahlstrom following that group.

So I would be pretty confident that the Canucks draft one of Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard, or Hughes as at least two of those guys are certain to be available at #7.

12 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I agree he's the #5 but the scouts sure don't.  I want him, Boq or Wahl. I am fine with Hughes but Bouchard and Boqs QB skills impressed me more. That said I have only seen about 5-6 games from each guy. .  

what about the flaws surrounding Bouchard's skating ? If you saw him about 5-6 games, did he passed the eye test, skating-wise ? 

6 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Thanks to Vinny for going to effort of collecting quotes. Vinny is right in saying that Benning has generally been honest -- surprisingly honest -- about his views on the draft. I remember being surprised, for example, that he signaled that the Canucks might take a D at #5 in 2016 -- and they did. (They wanted and expected Dubois at #5, but Columbus took him earlier.) It might be strategically better to say less but I admit that I am interested in what he has to say pre-draft. I don't think Linden will be giving anything away, though.  

It very, very unlikey that Bouchard goes at 3 or 4 and I am sure Benning is not expecting that. The consolidated rankings given by https://canucksarmy.com/2018/04/20/2018-nhl-draft-consolidated-industry-rankings-for-april-2018/ are based on 11 of the most well respected rankings. Bouchard averages out at #8 and the highest ranking he gets is #5. He is rated #4 among North American skaters  by NHL central scouting, but that means he is almost certainly #6 overall in their list (behind Dahlin and Boqvist). So no-one credible has him at 3 or 4 overall.

Personally, I would be happy with Bouchard at #7 but there have been rumours allegedly based on inside knowledge that the Canucks are not that high on Bouchard. The knocks on Bouchard are i) that he is not a great skater and ii) that he lacks intensity.  While it is true that some guys are unable to transition a high scoring junior career to the NHL because of limited skating ability (Dane Fox among others), I think the data shows that being results oriented is more important -- i.e. if a guy can score, that is the key thing. The knock on Matthew Tkachuk in 2016 was that he was not a great skater. He has still been excellent in the NHL. Sometimes guys improve their skating (Horvat) and sometimes they just get the job done without being great skaters (Sedins). And some great skaters cannot parlay that into significant NHL success. Knowing where to go is more important than going to the wrong spot, but getting there fast.  (Compare Boeser and Virtanen, for example.)

As for lacking intensity, the positive spin is that Bouchard is very calm on the ice. No one is going to confuse him with Biega.

From the combination of rumours and quotes from Benning, I think the Canucks internal ranking (after the top 3) probably has Tkachuk next. They would grab him at 7 in the unlikely event he is available but are not expecting that. They probably have Boqvist next. After that it is hard to read, but my guess is Dobson next, then it could be either Bouchard or Hughes, with Wahlstrom following that group.

So I would be pretty confident that the Canucks draft one of Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard, or Hughes as at least two of those guys are certain to be available at #7.

Well put it this way... joulevi was a .73ppg player on London with a star studded team in his draft year. Bouchard is 1.3 ppg as a D-man playing with nobodies.  He also has a high +/- and is captain. He’s probably the Gem of this draft behind Dahlin. 

This is an opportunity to finally get a D prospect of promise in this organization should Bouchard be available. I hope JB and co don’t F*** this up like they did in 16.

9 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Sounds like JB likes Wahlstrom because “he can play center”?  I think we will get to choose between Boquist and Dobson.  We should take the guy with the higher ceiling.

2 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Well put it this way... joulevi was a .73ppg player on London with a star studded team in his draft year. Bouchard is 1.3 ppg as a D-man playing with nobodies.  He also has a high +/- and is captain. He’s probably the Gem of this draft behind Dahlin. 

This is an opportunity to finally get a D prospect of promise in this organization should Bouchard be available. I hope JB and co don’t F*** this up like they did in 16.

I kind of agree with you, but JB is picking guys with the highest (potential) ceilings.  OJ has a very high ceiling.  Virtanen too.  And Pettersson too.  I think Boquist has the highest ceiling, so we should take him, if he’s there.  We need to swing for home runs, and get the guys who can bring us a Cup.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like JB likes Wahlstrom because “he can play center”?  I think we will get to choose between Boquist and Dobson.  We should take the guy with the higher ceiling.

Yes, we all acknowlege (including Green and Benning) that the biggest need the Canucks have is for high end D who can QB the PP and move the puck (and get on the scoresheet) at 5-on-5. Boqvuist, Bouchard, Dobson and Quinn could all potentially do that. I personally would not forget about size and strength, though, as people might be over-reacting to the "new NHL" where speed and skill matter more and size and toughness matter less.

But getting another good center in the system is important, too. I still think it was a mistake to trade McCann for Guddy. McCann has a good year in Florida and has moved ahead of Virtanen in some of the re-drafts. But that is spilt milk.

I just don't see the Canucks picking Wahlstrom, though. My guess is that they had him at #9. I think Benning said that they had a good list right up through #9 (the lowest they could have picked).

2 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Yes, we all acknowlege (including Green and Benning) that the biggest need the Canucks have is for high end D who can QB the PP and move the puck (and get on the scoresheet) at 5-on-5. Boqvuist, Bouchard, Dobson and Quinn could all potentially do that. I personally would not forget about size and strength, though, as people might be over-reacting to the "new NHL" where speed and skill matter more and size and toughness matter less.

But getting another good center in the system is important, too. I still think it was a mistake to trade McCann for Guddy. McCann has a good year in Florida and has moved ahead of Virtanen in some of the re-drafts. But that is spilt milk.

I just don't see the Canucks picking Wahlstrom, though. My guess is that they had him at #9. I think Benning said that they had a good list right up through #9 (the lowest they could have picked).

Wahlstrom is gone before we pick.

Dahlin

Sven

Tkatchuk

Walstrom

Zadina

Bouchard

Boquist/Hughs/Dobson?  I say we pick the guy with the highest ceiling - soundly like that is Boquist.

55 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Bouchard is exactly what the Nucks need on the backend.  Big, solid in his own end, high IQ, cannon for a shot and probably the best PP qb in the draft

Archived