The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning and Linden quotes on Draft Prospects

Vinny in Vancouver

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

He did mention taking a D pre-Juolevi. It was pretty obvious we were drafting PLD, or if gone (as he was), Juolevi.

I have the same recollection. As I have mentioned before, Benning is surprisingly honest for a GM and I have never heard anything from him that I would regard as misdirection regarding the draft. I am not saying that is good or bad, and Linden plays his cards closer to his chest. Benning is just a pretty straightforward guy. 

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

...or he could be hinting that he did well because it was on big ice ring.

After watching the hitting between Caps and Bolts, I fear for smallish puck carrying D-men. 

Yes, size and toughness on the D is not as important as it was a few years ago, but it still matters, especially in the playoffs. I still think that with a high draft pick you go for a high skill player even he is not that big, but you still need some size and toughness on the team.

8 hours ago, spook007 said:

...or he could be hinting that he did well because it was on big ice ring.

After watching the hitting between Caps and Bolts, I fear for smallish puck carrying D-men. 

Yeah... the game always corrects itself... if one team gets too small / skilled another will rise up to beat them up. A team gets too big, a smaller team skates circles around them.   It'll always be about everything... skill, size, speed, toughness, balance, momentum, chemistry, health, luck.

Doesn't seem wise to just default to the small skilled guy because the "new NHL."  That said, if you have a D core than can handle itself in the corners.. a Boqvist or Hughes could be an awesome compliment.  It's a team game. 

On the other hand a guy like Dobson is like ketchup.. he'll go well with anything. ::D

On 4/29/2018 at 10:23 AM, Alflives said:

Sounds like JB likes Wahlstrom because “he can play center”?  I think we will get to choose between Boquist and Dobson.  We should take the guy with the higher ceiling.

Is it a coincidence that the guy with the "higher ceiling" is more often than not the smaller/shorter guy?

I'm still on team Bouchard. If he's gone by the 7th selection, then perhaps i would go with Dobson (if he's still there), and I'd even think long and hard about taking Tkackuk were he to fall to 7th. 

And, depending on the terrain of who is left on the board, what are the assumed needs of other teams, and then who might be gone in the next few selections, I'd even consider dropping a few spots to pick up a few extra prospects/picks. Somebody might go to the draft all hung over or day-drunk and over pay to move up to seven.

regards,  G.

On 4/29/2018 at 9:16 AM, Gnarcore said:

No mention of Bouchard eh....

I'm assuming there are quotes, just not any listed by the OP... or Benning is playing his cards close. :)

regards,  G.

On 4/29/2018 at 5:13 PM, coolboarder said:

Here is what I think, Benning should not even quote anything about the prospects to give his rival GMs any idea on every prospects' qualities and let them do their homework and make the pick accordingly.  It also give away his hand a little bit.   I would bet you that other teams would be watching his comments on any prospect closely because of his reputation as a best scout of all time.   This is my only take on this one.  I would rather to hear his comments on them after he made the pick, not beforehand.  

Image result for ok thanks genius

10 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Sure do want to hear that, in this draft he is like McDavid and then everyone else, with everyone else being like a bunch of "Nylanders", good, but not franchise guys.

This kid would grow with the team making others better around him. IF he lives up to expectations he adds the "stud" factor for over a decade. Not like this guy is that much of a hope and prayer.

Besides my idea there would have had the Nucks retain the #7 pick and if they dangle Demko at NYI and they bite, maybe a #10 or #12 also.

Now that would almost finish a rebuild in one draft, the team would still suck for another year or so, but the heavy lifting could almost be done.

Someone who advocates trading Boeser and Demko is definitely a Calgary mole.

On 29/04/2018 at 9:45 AM, deus.ex.makina said:

Hughes just doesn't need to have a rocket, he IS a rocket. 

Hughes or Wahstrom could be the extreme consolation prices, but not sure that would be enough to calm my stomach.  

I'm worried about guys whose most important skill is their speed. We've seen lots of guys who come and go with great speed who don't make much of an impact in the NHL because they lack hands, a shot, or awareness. Then once they lose a step it's game over.

Not saying Hughes doesn't have other good aspects to his game, of course, I don't know these guys very well. It just worries me when all I hear about is their speed. 

2 hours ago, BabychStache said:

I know we need D. It’s the right thing to do.

However

The idea of Tkachuk causing havoc in front of the net as Boeser and Peterson control the half wall and the spot on the PP gets me excited.

or Kotkaniemi setting up Boeser and Petterson from the half wall on the PP

13 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah... the game always corrects itself... if one team gets too small / skilled another will rise up to beat them up. A team gets too big, a smaller team skates circles around them.   It'll always be about everything... skill, size, speed, toughness, balance, momentum, chemistry, health, luck.

Doesn't seem wise to just default to the small skilled guy because the "new NHL."  That said, if you have a D core than can handle itself in the corners.. a Boqvist or Hughes could be an awesome compliment.  It's a team game. 

On the other hand a guy like Dobson is like ketchup.. he'll go well with anything. ::D

Exactly.  It's always about an effective balance in the end. 

'Fast' teams still need some size, 'skilled' teams still need grit, 'big' teams need speed, etc - in the end, every team is all those things to some extent, but most need to tweak their elements.

Some people get carried away with perceived trends that they think will make age old elements obsolete - and it's not gonna happen.

The league is getting faster - and it is bringing an end to the enforcer role and the traditional fourth line - meaning more depth and talent in general and a more entertaining, quicker game - but the idea that big, physical guys are going to disappear - as if they're "throwbacks" - is over-stated and just too 'trendy' minded to be taken too seriously.

As far as the possibility of complementing a smaller pmd - yes, if you have an otherwise physical enough D core a pmd can be a great complement - and in addition, if you have a forward group that plays gang defense, and centers that can handle the down low battles in their own zone, etc  - that also enables a team to slip a small D or two into the mix - and I think that's the type of game that Green builds toward.   So I personally am not too concerned if the team drafted a purer pmd type - although personally I'm not that concerned about the type of player they take in this draft in general.  A RHpmd would be great, but even if it's a forward like Wahlstrom (or whomever winds up BPA at 7), it's going to be an iinteresting take, and there will remain a few needs the team will have to address either from within or future adds - it's not like this pick is going to complete the process (although they're certainly building a promising critical mass of prospects).

6 hours ago, mephnick said:

I'm worried about guys whose most important skill is their speed. We've seen lots of guys who come and go with great speed who don't make much of an impact in the NHL because they lack hands, a shot, or awareness. Then once they lose a step it's game over.

Not saying Hughes doesn't have other good aspects to his game, of course, I don't know these guys very well. It just worries me when all I hear about is their speed. 

Reputed the fastest guy in the draft?

Don't hold that against him! He also has dazzling hands, agility, puck control, passing, a wicked wrist shot. He scored only 2 points less than Tkachuk in the NCAA as a freshman D. 

When you look at things objectively, without worrying about positional value, I would be very surprised if Wahlstrom is not very high on the Canucks list despite the value of d and centers over wings.

He is smart (going to Harvard) can really shoot it....might have the best shot in the draft. Benning values guys who can  snipe. Boeser,Petersson,Virtanen,McCann he loves forwards who can shoot. 

Wahlstrom has speed and above average size already(around 200 pounds and over 6 feet)

On the surface he seems to have all the qualities of a very complete prospect in terms of size and skills. Combined with excellent Hockey IQ and grit and determination.

3 years from now he might be the true steal in the top 10 with everyone being focused on which d out of Dobson and Bouchard and Boqvist and Hughes the Canucks should take.

Unless you really think one of those 4 are much better than the other 3 go with the safest smart pick in the top 10.

Archived