The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL 1st-round draft pick's career ruined by video game addiction

9 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I knew that from your original post.

You can share your opinion all you want but don't be surprised if others call you out when it's clear that you don't have the knowledge to be speaking as an authority. 

It's an OPINION.  I never claimed to be an authority; please show me where I stated I was.  I just stated my belief.

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

It's an OPINION.  I never claimed to be an authority; please show me where I stated I was.  I just stated my belief.

5 hours ago, kloubek said:

Video game addition. That's a bunch of bullcrap. Are video games fun?  Sure.  But to be ADDICTED to them?  Come on.  

I suppose a person could get "addicted" to anything.  Personally, I'm addicted to sports cars.  Doesn't mean I have to sit in one, look at one or research one at all times. 

An addition like this is a lack of self control. Nothing more. The "addition" is a cover-up for a guy simply not being interested enough in his career to put the effort in.

That's what happens when you speak in absolutes on a topic you may not know much about :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I've been addicted to smoking, so I have a pretty good idea what addiction is like. Difference being that the chemicals in cigarettes are physically addictive. 

But no, sorry - I don't buy into the idea that one MUST play a video game. I mean... what happens if this guy doesn't play a video game.  Does he start puking and tweaking out?

Just because my opinion differs from yours doesn't invalidate it.  I am entitled to my own opinion just as you are.

Not every addiction has physical side-effects like 'puking and tweaking out'

'Addiction is a condition in which a person engages in use of a substance or in a behavior for which the rewarding effects provide a compelling incentive to repeatedly pursue the behavior despite detrimental consequences. Addiction may involve the use of substances such as alcohol, inhalants, opioids, cocaine, nicotine, and others, or behaviors such as gambling; there is scientific evidence that the addictive substances and behaviors share a key neurobiological feature—they intensely activate brain pathways of reward and reinforcement, many of which involve the neurotransmitter dopamine.'

www.psychologytoday.com

www.psychguides.com

12 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

That's what happens when you speak in absolutes on a topic you may not know much about :rolleyes:

Isn't that CDC in general? More often than not people speak their mind without having to include a caveat of "this is just my opinion.  I am not an authority on the subject".  Besides, aren't you speaking out with the opposite?  What makes YOU an authority any more than I?  I was stating what I believe to be fact, but am perfectly fine with others feeling differently. 

Whatetever. My statements were opinions, and I stand by them.  You have a different opinion, and I respect yours and your right to have it.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I've been addicted to smoking, so I have a pretty good idea what addiction is like. Difference being that the chemicals in cigarettes are physically addictive. 

But no, sorry - I don't buy into the idea that one MUST play a video game. I mean... what happens if this guy doesn't play a video game.  Does he start puking and tweaking out?

Just because my opinion differs from yours doesn't invalidate it.  I am entitled to my own opinion just as you are.

Yes, they start to "jones' for their dopamine fix. But this was all ready explained   in this thread, you either missed it, or choose not to believe it.

And I never said you were not entitled to an opinion, I did say that it was not an educated opinion though.

15 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Could well be anywhere in the 1st round as well- high pick doesn't necessarily mean a top 10 pick.  Any first round pick relative to the entire draft could be considered high?

who is high ?

don't bring another issue into this discussion

1 addiction at a time please

:P

6 hours ago, kloubek said:

hehehe.... 

I have nothing to retort with, but maintain my position that claiming ADDICTION to video games is a bunch of hogwash. It's a lack of self-control - which would become apparent regardless of whether it was video games, drugs, or even just a general lack of effort.

Addiction. Addiction. Addiction.

you are somewhat stupid or naive

i hope no one close to you ever has to deal with an addiction issue

cuz you'd likely say something stupid to them

to trigger them and make things worse

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

you are somewhat stupid or naive

i hope no one close to you ever has to deal with an addiction issue

cuz you'd likely say something stupid to them

to trigger them and make things worse

Those beliefs, that addiction was a sign of weak character, are what my generation grew up believing.  I don’t know if those beliefs are stupid.  Maybe just ignorant?  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Those beliefs, that addiction was a sign of weak character, are what my generation grew up believing.  I don’t know if those beliefs are stupid.  Maybe just ignorant?  

feel free to parse hairs

i don't know if there is a truly meaningful difference between ignorant and stupid

or at least not one worth commenting on

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

feel free to parse hairs

i don't know if there is a truly meaningful difference between ignorant and stupid

or at least not one worth commenting on

Ignorance is simply not knowing better. Stupidity is knowing better but choosing to hold onto ignorant beliefs. 

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

How do you know my opinion is uneducated?  Perhaps I'm a psychologist.  I mean, I'm not... but you don't know that. And is that not what a forum is about?  To share opinions?

Original.  Nobody suggested that already.

You are not, and I could tell that because the literature suggests that low self control accounts for very little variation in video game addiction.

Forums are about sharing opinions, but when your opinions suck, you get called out on them. 

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Isn't that CDC in general? More often than not people speak their mind without having to include a caveat of "this is just my opinion.  I am not an authority on the subject".  Besides, aren't you speaking out with the opposite?  What makes YOU an authority any more than I?  I was stating what I believe to be fact, but am perfectly fine with others feeling differently. 

Whatetever. My statements were opinions, and I stand by them.  You have a different opinion, and I respect yours and your right to have it.

Feel free to stand by an opinion that is wrong:

Kim, E. J., Namkoong, K., Ku, T., & Kim, S. J. (2008). The relationship between online game addiction and aggression, self-control and narcissistic personality traits. European psychiatry, 23(3), 212-218.

Mehroof, M., & Griffiths, M. D. (2010). Online gaming addiction: the role of sensation seeking, self-control, neuroticism, aggression, state anxiety, and trait anxiety. Cyberpsychology, behavior, and social networking, 13(3), 313-316.

Self control is a small part of addiction. 

4 hours ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

image.png.9f9700ddcc75cafee5954ac3e3eaa119.png

This looks like a guy that's been up all night playing Fortnite... I'll guess Juuso Valimaki

I'd say no. He was really emotional when Finland lost to the Czechs in the WJC quarterfinals this year, and said it was the biggest disappointment in his life. Seems like hockey is the most important thing to him.

Could be anyone. These guys are kids and guess what? Kids like video games, a lot. 

Question is: Does it interfere with every day life, causing it to be unmanageable? If so, then it's an addiction. If he just plays games a lot, but manages to go to work and do what's required every day, then he's just enjoying a hobby.

I sure hope it's not a Canucks player. My first thought was Jake, but he's been around for 4 years already.   

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Could be anyone. These guys are kids and guess what? Kids like video games, a lot. 

Question is: Does it interfere with every day life, causing it to be unmanageable? If so, then it's an addiction. If he just plays games a lot, but manages to go to work and do what's required every day, then he's just enjoying a hobby.

I sure hope it's not a Canucks player. My first thought was Jake, but he's been around for 4 years already.   

Just heard the interview on the radio.  The player is a recent high pick, by a popular team, who currently is very good in junior.  We don’t have any guys who fit that description.  

Archived