The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Maple Leafs, Assistant General Manager Mark Hunter mutually agree to part ways

It's not so much Dubas' age as his background.  Lou, like him or not, has a lifetime of experience in professional hockey management.  There was more common ground to work with there.  Hunter now would have been reporting to someone who likely has very different views on how to run a hockey team.  Like it or not, a lot of hockey people would prefer not to work under these analytics weenies.  

I'm betting Hunter goes back to junior and has a great deal of success.

2 hours ago, Qwags said:

A bad day for Toronto, and therefore, a good day for Canada.

Not sure how those two things equate.

Don't know if he would be following Lou to the Isle.  Would love to see him here in VP Hockey Ops type situation.  

More competition for Nonis.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

It's not so much Dubas' age as his background.  Lou, like him or not, has a lifetime of experience in professional hockey management.  There was more common ground to work with there.  Hunter now would have been reporting to someone who likely has very different views on how to run a hockey team.  Like it or not, a lot of hockey people would prefer not to work under these analytics weenies.  

I'm betting Hunter goes back to junior and has a great deal of success.

Except Dubas isn't just an "analytics weenie".

People unwilling to use analytics as a tool closely parallel religious people unwilling to use science to improve life. 

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

People unwilling to use analytics as a tool closely parallel religious people unwilling to use science to improve life. 

Dubas will use analytics to make his decisions.  That' the (most likely) reason Lamarillo and Hunter moved on.  They can see what's coming, and know the Leafs are doomed to fall to the bottom of the league.  They are jumping ship while there is still land in sight.  

23 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

It's a tool, but should not be the only tool.  I think the analytics guys have a place in an advisory role but there's no substitute for a lifetime scouting and evaluating talent.  There's no reason someone with the resume of Hunter would want to work somewhere his input wouldn't be taken seriously.

Looking forward to seeing the Leafs replicate the dominance of Arizona.   

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

It's a tool, but should not be the only tool.  I think the analytics guys have a place in an advisory role but there's no substitute for a lifetime scouting and evaluating talent.  There's no reason someone with the resume of Hunter would want to work somewhere his input wouldn't be taken seriously.

Looking forward to seeing the Leafs replicate the dominance of Arizona.   

But Dubas didn't start with analytics... and he doesn't use analytics as "the only tool". 

You're making assumptions about why Hunter left ("he thought his input wouldn't be taken seriously") when there are many rival plausible explanations. 

I think its pretty cut and dried. They had a good GM who they decided to replace with one of 2 different but seemingly good choices. They could only pick one and it was very likely the other would leave. 

On a lot of levels it makes sense. Dubas can bring in his own AGM that was not previously his equal organizationally. Hunter can move on to pursue other opportunities that could lead to a GM job short or even longer term. That wasnt going to happen in Toronto. 

11 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think its pretty cut and dried. They had a good GM who they decided to replace with one of 2 different but seemingly good choices. They could only pick one and it was very likely the other would leave. 

On a lot of levels it makes sense. Dubas can bring in his own AGM that was not previously his equal organizationally. Hunter can move on to pursue other opportunities that could lead to a GM job short or even longer term. That wasnt going to happen in Toronto. 

This is the key. Hunter wants to be an NHL GM. He may get the opportunity sooner than some may think.

6 hours ago, Master Mind said:

It's alarming how this is likely a popular opinion.

His age/experience shouldn't matter if he's earned his role. That's a toxic mindset that plagues many companies across the country.

Bring on the next wave of talent I say. Out with the old boys club.

Nothing wrong with hiring and promoting new and younger management.  Can be of concern though when too much of the others depart, leaving questions as to what's left.  Maybe losing Lou is best for the team long-term, but is losing Hunter as well?  The Leafs apparently have a huge management structure so maybe it's not such a big deal and they have plenty of others in line to replace him from within.

27 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It is an assumption to suggest it was Hunter's decision. It could very well have been the Leafs wanting to clear the deck for their new GM to avoid any potential splintering of staff who may have had loyalties to Hunter.

Sounds like it was his decision:

8 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Didn't get the GM job so he leaves? What a baby.

....it isn't easy being sure of becoming the "number one" and getting passed over...and when it is someone more than 20 years your junior, it is REALLY hard.   I don't think he is a "baby" as much he has professional pride and only left a leadership position with the Knights to ascend to the top of the Leafs day-to-day management chain and now sees that is effectively closed to him.    I view it more that he sees himself in a different way than the Leafs obviously do.   This is akin to Fleury leaving the Pens....if he wasn't exposed, he may have signed with someone else anyway.   If you think you can still be the number one....it is hard to let that slip past you.

Just sayin', Hunter has huge respect from me as a hockey man and I don't view this as anything other than he seeing a different version of his role.

I don't blame Hunter, seems like a slap in the face. Who is this Dumbass guy anyway? Shanny's nephew? lol

I'm looking forward to watching this experiment. Between the GM fiasco and Babcock/Matthews unhappy with each other, next year is going to be fun lol

Archived