The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Enstrom unhappy with playoff scratch

I have no issue with a player being POed that he got scratched.  That's how a guy (who is a competitor) should react, isn't it?  Maybe more of the Jets should have played with this guy's passion (Ehlers) and they would have won?  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I have no issue with a player being POed that he got scratched.  That's how a guy (who is a competitor) should react, isn't it?  Maybe more of the Jets should have played with this guy's passion (Ehlers) and they would have won?  

You can be pissed off and still be professional. Enstrom was only one of these things.

35 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

enstrom probably shouldn't have played like trash while he was injured. if you're hurt, then be a team player and sit out and let one of the many other depth guys take your spot. someone give tobi a taxi to the airport. hes pretty replaceable

The NHL's romanticization of players playing hurt has resulted in guys playing through injuries while not actually helping out the team. Sometimes they get to be called "hero", "warrior", etc.... but sometimes these same guys are just being selfish. If the guy that is currently scratched can play better than you, take yourself out of the lineup instead of relishing in the opportunity to tell the media how hurt you were.

One thing about the Sedins... they NEVER disclosed injuries to the media. Guys like Evander Kane couldn't wait to let everyone know about which injuries they played through.

He's fallen off a cliff in recent years. The best he would provide at this point is veteran leadership and we already have a Swedish defenseman who can do that, except ours is one year younger, 5 inches taller, 35 pounds heavier, and a heckuva better player.

His days are probably very numbered at this point.

23 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

The NHL's romanticization of players playing hurt has resulted in guys playing through injuries while not actually helping out the team. Sometimes they get to be called "hero", "warrior", etc.... but sometimes these same guys are just being selfish. If the guy that is currently scratched can play better than you, take yourself out of the lineup instead of relishing in the opportunity to tell the media how hurt you were.

One thing about the Sedins... they NEVER disclosed injuries to the media. Guys like Evander Kane couldn't wait to let everyone know about which injuries they played through.

tumblr_inline_nlmka4J3fj1rmb41h.gif

54 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

You can be pissed off and still be professional. Enstrom was only one of these things.

Professional for sure. Just like Dan Boyle at the end of his career haha 

1 hour ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

enstrom probably shouldn't have played like trash while he was injured. if you're hurt, then be a team player and sit out and let one of the many other depth guys take your spot. someone give tobi a taxi to the airport. hes pretty replaceable

He plays like trash even when healthy lol. Most Jets fan want him gone.

A true mercenary! :blink:

Who was it above that suggested Pittsburgh & Edmonton?  Spot on, but for a series haircut on his pay.

Toby is a good player, but his contract value was one of Winnipeg's mistakes.  Oddly enough, Winnipeg still needs LHD help.  Morrisey is not enough. I guess Kulikov is ok?  But Chiarot & retread Joe Morrow (4 years ago I thought he was on his way) is a stretch for 2LD, if not 3LD? And pride sounds like it may impact Enstrom coming back for a more realistic figure.

@Monty , what is your take?

23 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

A true mercenary! :blink:

Who was it above that suggested Pittsburgh & Edmonton?  Spot on, but for a series haircut on his pay.

Toby is a good player, but his contract value was one of Winnipeg's mistakes.  Oddly enough, Winnipeg still needs LHD help.  Morrisey is not enough. I guess Kulikov is ok?  But Chiarot & retread Joe Morrow (4 years ago I thought he was on his way) is a stretch for 2LD, if not 3LD? And pride sounds like it may impact Enstrom coming back for a more realistic figure.

@Monty , what is your take?

Winnipegers have been waiting years for his contract to expire. Not just because he wasn’t living up to it, but he wasn’t right for the team either. He also has a “history” in Winnipeg for being salty off the ice and in the city to begin with (although that doesn’t have anything to do with his on-ice play). This story of how he left sheds light on his attitude through the years.

He’ll go somewhere else and have little to no success. If he couldn’t find his game with this years version of the Jets, he won’t find it anywhere else. The Toby Enstrom from his Atlanta days is as good as dead.

I honestly have nothing against Toby. Carved himself out a good career in the NHL and had a great start. Unfortunately, injuries caught up to him and he’s lost more than a step.

Archived