The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Noah Hanifin and the 7th overall pick

Most of Canucks nation is clamoring for a defenseman to be drafted with the 7th overall pick in June, but what if that pick was an intricate piece in plucking Noah Hanifin out of Carolina?

Assuming GMJB and TL do in fact decide to take a blueliner at the draft, it's safe to assume one of Evan Bouchard, Adam Boqvist, Quinton Hughes, or Noah Dobson will be pulling a blue and green sweater over their head; but are any of those players better than an 18-year-old Noah Hanifin?

image.png.93cbc8b4266d86c8b8e92c8e542f9853.pngThis is a very basic side by side comparison of all five defensemen in their draft year. As you can see, Hanifin is right there with each of the potential draft picks that could come the Canucks way, but he comes with an added bonus of 239 NHL games already under his belt. He isn't an offensive dynamo like Boqvist or Bouchard, but the tools are there, and solidifying the defensive side of the blueline with players like Juloevi, Tanev, and Hanifin would allow a bigger leash for an offensive Troy Stecher, Ben Hutton, Jack Rathbone (potentially), or any future defenders the organization decides to draft.

Personally, I think the 7th for Hanifin is a definite conversation starter and GMJB should kick tires. The obvious name drops of Horvat, Boeser, Petterson, or Demko are grounds for hanging up, but the idea of having two picks in the top 10 for Carolina would most definitely peak Don Waddell's interest.

8 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

7th this year is worth more than hanifin. 

virtanen or bear , markstrom, 3rd this year for hanifin is a fair offer for both teams

Carolina isnt looking for a "fair" offer. Bear to me has MINIMAL value. Markstrom is just a random add in and sucks. 3rd man.... If I was a CAR GM, I would be cursing the fk outta u. 

what CAR is looking for is prob like 7th + Juolevi. Something like that. 

Hanifin is a young D man with plenty of room to grow and is farther along development compared to Dobson, etc. 

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'd rather have both *shrugs*

I'm in the same camp.

Sadly, I've gone fanboy for Bouchard and if he's gone by #7... I dunno.. Maybe

In an ideal world JB figures a way to take Hanifin for peripheral players and a few scraps. I don't see that happening though

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

@King Heffy is right.  Don’t go near this Hanifin guy.  Almost 70% cherry time, only 30 points, and minus 20.  

There is a price that makes sense, roster guys over 23, later round picks, etc. We don't really know what Carolina wants or how they view someone like Sutter e.g. Lots of young guys get the o-zone gifts Sergachev e.g., but he was a +12 with similar zone time.... so without knowing if his d partners were part of the issue I personally don't want Jim giving up the #7 pick. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

@King Heffy is right.  Don’t go near this Hanifin guy.  Almost 70% cherry time, only 30 points, and minus 20.  

Bo Horvat -30. Hanifin has been on a team with arguably the worst goaltending in the league. Carolina is a playoff team if they have a goalie who can stop the puck. Their goaltending over the last 3-4 years has been around .900

2 hours ago, AllCanucksAllTheTime said:

Most of Canucks nation is clamoring for a defenseman to be drafted with the 7th overall pick in June, but what if that pick was an intricate piece in plucking Noah Hanifin out of Carolina?

Assuming GMJB and TL do in fact decide to take a blueliner at the draft, it's safe to assume one of Evan Bouchard, Adam Boqvist, Quinton Hughes, or Noah Dobson will be pulling a blue and green sweater over their head; but are any of those players better than an 18-year-old Noah Hanifin?

image.png.93cbc8b4266d86c8b8e92c8e542f9853.pngThis is a very basic side by side comparison of all five defensemen in their draft year. As you can see, Hanifin is right there with each of the potential draft picks that could come the Canucks way, but he comes with an added bonus of 239 NHL games already under his belt. He isn't an offensive dynamo like Boqvist or Bouchard, but the tools are there, and solidifying the defensive side of the blueline with players like Juloevi, Tanev, and Hanifin would allow a bigger leash for an offensive Troy Stecher, Ben Hutton, Jack Rathbone (potentially), or any future defenders the organization decides to draft.

Personally, I think the 7th for Hanifin is a definite conversation starter and GMJB should kick tires. The obvious name drops of Horvat, Boeser, Petterson, or Demko are grounds for hanging up, but the idea of having two picks in the top 10 for Carolina would most definitely peak Don Waddell's interest.

"but are any of those players better than an 18-year-old Noah Hanifin?"

Dobson hands dowm...  skill size speed and snipe... 

2 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Carolina isnt looking for a "fair" offer. Bear to me has MINIMAL value. Markstrom is just a random add in and sucks. 3rd man.... If I was a CAR GM, I would be cursing the fk outta u. 

Hmm, I thought the rumour was that it was Carolina that wanted to trade Hanifin? If so, then doesn't that mean that they don't have any rights to curse any lowball offers?

13 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Hmm, I thought the rumour was that it was Carolina that wanted to trade Hanifin? If so, then doesn't that mean that they don't have any rights to curse any lowball offers?

Dundon told every player (save Aho) that his job is to find a better player than them and that their job is to make it hard.   They are looking for upgrades.  Any offer where it's the other team that adds doesn't really make sense in light of his comments.  They want to get the better player out of the trade. 

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We're not pushing for a playoff spot so why rush the plan? Let's develop our own Hanfin type D prospect in Dobson/Bouchard.

Save Joulevi/Jake for ourselves. -20? hmmm... that's not good.

Tanev is +7 on a bad team.

Feels like a +1 for every game he played this year. Poor guy.

That's some $&!#ty luck there. 

Derailing a bit, sorry, OP

Dobson > Anybody else on this list.

Good size defenceman already for his age, and mobility to match, AND knows how to play the game "the way it is currently played" - both ends of the ice.

Keep and develop.

I’m not convinced the 7th pick will be a centrepiece in a hanifin trade. 

Like why would Carolina, a team that wants to be better now, trade a top 4 d for an unproven prospect that’s gonna take 3 years to get to where hanifin is now

markstrom is the guy I think Carolina would want as well with other pieces 

1 hour ago, billabong said:

I’m not convinced the 7th pick will be a centrepiece in a hanifin trade. 

Like why would Carolina, a team that wants to be better now, trade a top 4 d for an unproven prospect that’s gonna take 3 years to get to where hanifin is now

markstrom is the guy I think Carolina would want as well with other pieces 

heres hoping markstrom  plus gets him 

Personally, I would wait to see who is on the board at our pick. If we're aiming particularly for a defenseman and neither Hughes nor Dobson are available, I would definitely consider trading the 7th overall pick+ for Hanifin.

Archived