D-Money

Bouchard vs. Dobson - The Athletic's in-depth analysis

Rate this topic

9 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I'm going to post an article from The Athletic. I don't normally do this, as I feel they do excellent work and hope people will subscribe so that it keeps on coming. However, I found this to be one of the best in-depth analysis articles I've read recently.

I'm posting this for 2 reasons:

1. There is a decent chance that Bouchard or Dobson may be who we take at #7 (hence placing the article in Canucks Talk), and
  2. I feel it may convince some people on the fence to subscribe (if you like this stuff, the few bucks a month is totally worth it)

I'm happy to see Bouchard getting his due, but it also means he may very well not be there at #7.  I'm not particularly interested in Dobson, so hopefully Hughes, Boqvist or Kotkaniemi are there at #7 if Bouchard is gone

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm happy to see Bouchard getting his due, but it also means he may very well not be there at #7.  I'm not particularly interested in Dobson, so hopefully Hughes, Boqvist or Kotkaniemi are there at #7 if Bouchard is gone

Based on the chatter, these 5 will likely be going in the top-6:

• Dahlin
  • Svechnikov
  • Zadina
  • Wahlstrom
  • Hughes

And Kotkaniemi or Tkachuk might end up there too. So one of Boqvist or Bouchard will fall to 7.

Edited by D-Money

Bouchard is the next Pouliot.
Dobson is the right pick.

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Don’t want either 

wahlstrom, Hughes, tkachuk

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Don’t want either 

Yay...more wingers. :mellow:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Don’t want either 

Hughes and Tkachuk will be gone between 4-6

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Tkachuk
Boqvist
Hughes
Dobson
Wahlstrom
Bouchard
Ty Smith

• Hydration 1

12 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Don’t want either 

I think most want Hughes but I am pretty sure he's going to the first D picked well before Canucks get to him.

Now for Wahlstrom and Tkachuk... I know both are listed as centers/wingers but whats the realistic chance either would be a center?  That for me would weight into it a lot especially if they felt Petterson would be more effective as a winger then you need a center who could carry that line.  If neither is expected to be a center in the NHL I think I would rather go Dobson. 

This is gonna be a fun draft and theres gonna be lots of arguments among Canuck fans for years to come as always haha

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd be very happy with one of these two. 

• Upvote 1

@D-Money - is this typical of the articles on the Athletic? thinking about trying it out 

If Boqvist or BT fall to 7, Benning will do a happy dance. 

I think I’d take Bouchard over Dobson. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

If Boqvist or BT fall to 7, Benning will do a happy dance. 

I think I’d take Bouchard over Dobson. 

I’m in agreement with you.  I heard a Montreal reporter, on the radio, saying the Habs (if they can’t trade down a couple spots) might grab that Kotkaniemi kid.  He also said Dobson has climbed very high.  

This top ten could be a lot of fun to watch.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m in agreement with you.  I heard a Montreal reporter, on the radio, saying the Habs (if they can’t trade down a couple spots) might grab that Kotkaniemi kid.  He also said Dobson has climbed very high.  

This top ten could be a lot of fun to watch.

It’s tough to compare a Dman from the Q to one from the O, but this article does it. I don’t like the comparables as they are largely situational. I’d like to have watched more of them head-to-head at WJ camps or something where they play in the same system, on the same team and against the same players. I’m guessing at their trajectory as much as the next google-guy. These articles are full of fluff, mainly. 

Is Bouchard the next Gonchar/Shattenkirk while Dobson is the next Pietrangelo? Awesome, but Boqvist might be the next Karlsson. The luxury. Tank on! 

This top 10 will be really fun to watch, like you and others have said. Soon, it’s Christmas morning for us! I’m excited. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

@D-Money - is this typical of the articles on the Athletic? thinking about trying it out 

Yea this is pretty common article.  They go very indepth on the articles constantly.  Might get slow throughout the summer with lack of hockey/basketball but still very interesting.  I signed up and am very happy, I enjoy reading quality journalism articles, not the crap TSN and Sportsnet put out these days that are hacked together in mere minutes.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

I don't really care who we pick, I trust Benning....fact is, often the 1st defenseman pick in the draft is not the same one when you re-do the draft a couple years later.  So I hope, there isn't 6 forward picked before us.

Juolevi

Hanifin

R.Murray

Larsson

Gudbransson

Hickey

Edited by timberz21
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Don’t want either