-Vintage Canuck-

[GDT] 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

I do hope Hughes turns out to be what he is because honestly I just don't get it.  I see the skating, but the size and the lack of a shot just doesn't do it for me.  He was the 7th rated defender on my own personal board.  Dobson and Bouchard were better fits with this team going forward.  I also like Boqvist better.  Woo in the 2nd round was a great selection ad I liked the Madden selection.  The rest of the picks I'm unfamiliar with. 

Size not an issue in the NHL any more - speed and skill rule, even for D's.   Hughes is about 5.10 and 170 pounds that is not undersized or small.    

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Gudbranson should play more like Tom Wilson? 

......ok.

guddy.jpg.10af0b3ceadaf4d85d2b49e6fa7a615d.jpgtank.jpg.2873ae7c5599f9cfb796f31fb1c3ee1d.jpggudlock.jpg.602f5e8e86464553e975a7e4ce2ab781.jpg

Guddy was jumped and won that fight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

aside from Hughes Utunen and Manukyan intrigues me the most. low risk high ceiling picks. 

3 minutes ago, samurai said:

Guddy was jumped and won that fight.

he wasn't even angry in that fight, just confused lol

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

......ok.

guddy.jpg.10af0b3ceadaf4d85d2b49e6fa7a615d.jpgtank.jpg.2873ae7c5599f9cfb796f31fb1c3ee1d.jpggudlock.jpg.602f5e8e86464553e975a7e4ce2ab781.jpg

I'm not saying he can't do it, it's a consistency thing.

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

......ok.

tank.jpg.2873ae7c5599f9cfb796f31fb1c3ee1d.jpg

Look at that stare LOL :lol:

I am curious if Hughes Gudbranson as a pairing could be the key to unlocking Gudbranson's potential Guddy played with veteran Brian Campbell in FLA before being traded to VAN.  Hughes is a very similar skater but imo with a higher ceiling.  Could be a good match. God I love guddy lol

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, samurai said:

Dude that was Gudbranson.   He rarely fights because guys don't screw around on the ice.  When he was in the line up we didn't really have any trouble with guys taking shots at ours.  Gudbranson track record speaks for itself  - he polices the other team.   He is also known around the league as one of the toughest guys.   U are wrong on all counts

That's great. He can still hit more and be like that more than once a season. The guy that is only here to hit and be nasty is barely top 5 on the team in hits. What?

13 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

That's great. He can still hit more and be like that more than once a season. The guy that is only here to hit and be nasty is barely top 5 on the team in hits. What?

he wasn't brought here because of his hitting, nobody has ever said that is part of his game.  Is Gud overpaid  - yes.  But you don't really seem to understand what his strengths  are and why we need him right now.  As well reported if we were not going to resign him somebody was going to pay him that money - e.g Toronto, Florida and so forth.    Guddy started to play very once he was with Elder.  

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

he wasn't even angry in that fight, just confused lol

yeah because Wilson should have been given a instigator for it.  

10 minutes ago, samurai said:

he wasn't brought here because of his hitting, nobody has ever said that is part of his game.  Is Gud overpaid  - yes.  But you don't really seem to understand what his strengths  are and why we need him right now.  As well reported if we were not going to resign him somebody was going to pay him that money - e.g Toronto, Florida and so forth.    Guddy started to play very once he was with Elder.  

He has 54 points all time and all of his metrics are abysmal. Literally the only use he has is being physical and nasty, he simply needs to do more of it. Otherwise, I'd rather have Biega. At least Biega can skate and digs in every shift.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

He has 54 points all time and all of his metrics are abysmal. Literally the only use he has is being physical and nasty, he simply needs to do more of it. Otherwise, I'd rather have Biega. At least Biega can skate and digs in every shift.

being more physical and nasty is why our team isn't very good?   There is not GM or coach in the league that would take Biega over Gud - u are way off.   

• Upvote 1

Aquaman: are you ready to come to Vancouver lol

• Upvote 1

I wonder........I wonder if the NHL has been under pressure with concussions and injuries.  The players are starting to push back and many see from international hockey that fast hockey without the bashing and holding is still a very popular game.  I'm not sure how else I can explain how the league is getting smaller and faster.  The NHL tried ditching the obstruction more years ago but slowly put the whistles away as the year went by.  A number of teams went smaller and got bitten by the lack of sustainability of the new model......especially in the playoffs.  We saw that with the Canucks of the past.  So this is my big concern with JB's moves this weekend.  I think he's gambling that the game will continue to get quicker with less hitting and obstruction.  If he's correct, great......but aside from Woo, he's put a lot of eggs in that basket this weekend.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, billabong said:

Number 1 priority from top to bottom this teams priority now has to be SIZE!

We have a lot of slight/skill/small guys 

We’re gonna continue to be a punching bag for the league if things don’t change 

virtanen and gudbranson can’t be the only 2 guys crashin and bangin 

Easier to trade for or sign muscle than to acquire skill...if they draft a bunch of skilled players they can theoretically trade players that don't fit for muscle plus (e.g. draft picks).

3 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Look at that stare LOL :lol:

I am curious if Hughes Gudbranson as a pairing could be the key to unlocking Gudbranson's potential Guddy played with veteran Brian Campbell in FLA before being traded to VAN.  Hughes is a very similar skater but imo with a higher ceiling.  Could be a good match. God I love guddy lol

Personally I think this might be the best plan.  Gudbranson collects the puck from around the net or knocks guys off and Hughes is there to get it out of the zone.  Good comparable too BTW size and skill wise.

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I wonder........I wonder if the NHL has been under pressure with concussions and injuries.  The players are starting to push back and many see from international hockey that fast hockey without the bashing and holding is still a very popular game.  I'm not sure how else I can explain how the league is getting smaller and faster.  The NHL tried ditching the obstruction more years ago but slowly put the whistles away as the year went by.  A number of teams went smaller and got bitten by the lack of sustainability of the new model......especially in the playoffs.  We saw that with the Canucks of the past.  So this is my big concern with JB's moves this weekend.  I think he's gambling that the game will continue to get quicker with less hitting and obstruction.  If he's correct, great......but aside from Woo, he's put a lot of eggs in that basket this weekend.

Absolutely.  Personally I've seen the league do this for the last thirty years ie mimic whomever is winning cups recently and with CHI and PIT getting half of them the last decade collectively skill had speed had become a fad that might stay around for a while but I doubt it sticks.  WSH and WNP are heavy teams with skill and that is always and will always be better.  Woo was his best pick and probably his safest.  Just can't imagine why you'd want 5 10 180lb defenseman trying to clear the net, throw a hit or smashing a puck instead of a 6 3 220lb guy.  But what do I know, at least Burke had the balls to bring this up and stick to his guns on the subject.  Hard finding any 5 10 defenseman in the HHOF.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2