Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

-Vintage Canuck-

[GDT] 2018 NHL Entry Draft

58 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

You initially said the league is not getting smaller (i.e. I was completely wrong for saying that).  Your chart shows the league is getting lighter by weight (up to 2014).  I assume the chart takes into account both rebuilding teams, young players, old players, etc.  So I'm not sure what you're getting at.  I took your advice.....here's a link with a few extra years of weight data.  The league is still trending lighter.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/so-you-want-to-win-the-stanley-cup-here-s-how

I'll agree with you though about the size and winning.  No correlation.  They didn't add "big US city" into the multivariate regression analysis though.  That might have found some correlation!  

A lighter trend would of course be related to better conditioning and diet.  In other words lighter because in better shape.  

On 6/25/2018 at 1:41 PM, Nooks said:

The fact that your source lists the caps as the 3rd heaviest team in the NHL is inaccurate?  Your not making any sense at all.  The final really showed how far the Nucks need to go to get there and I'd be terrified icing a bunch of 135lbers out there.

I made no claims whatsoever about Vegas vs the Jets.

The 3rd heaviest team in the NHL just won the cup with a very physical game.  How does that not correlate size with winning?

i can see you haven't even taken a basic stats course. 

10 hours ago, samurai said:

10 hours ago, samurai said:

A lighter trend would of course be related to better conditioning and diet.  In other words lighter because in better shape.  

On 6/24/2018 at 3:03 PM, samurai said:

I don't like the term undersized because it suggests a deficiency. Yes he is smaller than the average player but his size is not unusual in today's NHL.  There is no correlation between size and winning.  If there was then winning would be pretty straightforward.   

Clearly you have a little person sensitivity that blinds you from the fact that your average NHLer is at least 6' and 195lbs+.

4 hours ago, Nooks said:

Clearly you have a little person sensitivity that blinds you from the fact that your average NHLer is at least 6' and 195lbs+.

Your points made on this topic over a number of posts are full of holes and gaps in thinking.  I would be very surprised if you were older than 18.  

18 hours ago, samurai said:

The trouble is that we ARE able to read a graph.  We're just seeing something different than you.

Getting back to my original point (which is still valid), JB is hoping the league continues to reward speed and skill and not physicality including obstruction.  This is a gamble based on previous NHL seasons.  I agree with others.....the regular season and the playoffs are handled differently in most years.  The physical teams tend to get away with more and tend to be less wounded in the playoffs......especially in the latter rounds where there's more on the line.  Boston, Anaheim, LA, Washington have all been successful.  Winnipeg also looked great this year.  Pittsburgh were not huge but they had tough players.

There's little risk in JB drafting Hughes.  But there's definitely a big risk though in drafting a lot of smaller-ish players especially outside of the wing positions.

7 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

The trouble is that we ARE able to read a graph.  We're just seeing something different than you.

Getting back to my original point (which is still valid), JB is hoping the league continues to reward speed and skill and not physicality including obstruction.  This is a gamble based on previous NHL seasons.  I agree with others.....the regular season and the playoffs are handled differently in most years.  The physical teams tend to get away with more and tend to be less wounded in the playoffs......especially in the latter rounds where there's more on the line.  Boston, Anaheim, LA, Washington have all been successful.  Winnipeg also looked great this year.  Pittsburgh were not huge but they had tough players.

There's little risk in JB drafting Hughes.  But there's definitely a big risk though in drafting a lot of smaller-ish players especially outside of the wing positions.

no, you are not following the thread.  the previous poster said that because the Caps won the cup that this constitutes a correlation between size and winning the cup.  U agreed previously that this is not the case because as you know it is incorrect.  Correlation of course is a statistical term and I am sure you know that one sample is not sufficient to make any kind of claim. 

And of course your Pitts comments is sorry to say nonsense.  You are trying to shape something that doesn't fit your assumptions.  Again if the idea that simple size won cups then building a NHL cup contender would be easy.    

Yes you are reading it different, but a more accurate word would be wrongly.  

2 hours ago, samurai said:

no, you are not following the thread.  the previous poster said that because the Caps won the cup that this constitutes a correlation between size and winning the cup.  U agreed previously that this is not the case because as you know it is incorrect.  Correlation of course is a statistical term and I am sure you know that one sample is not sufficient to make any kind of claim. 

And of course your Pitts comments is sorry to say nonsense.  You are trying to shape something that doesn't fit your assumptions.  Again if the idea that simple size won cups then building a NHL cup contender would be easy.    

Yes you are reading it different, but a more accurate word would be wrongly.  

Fake news?!!!  You show a weight graph that has a downward trend and then you say I'm completely wrong for saying the league is getting smaller.  You justify it by saying the players are younger and haven't filled in yet......but that's not what the graph is showing us.  I agree Washington didn't win the cup because they're bigger.  It was a combination of things of which that article I referenced is probably pretty close with the analysis.  My point all along has been that JB is gambling by picking a bunch of lightweights when the team needs some toughness.  This might turn out alright for him, but as I said, he's putting a lot of eggs in the same basket.

Let's agree to disagree before we drive everyone else nuts here!  Cheers.

16 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Fake news?!!!  You show a weight graph that has a downward trend and then you say I'm completely wrong for saying the league is getting smaller.  You justify it by saying the players are younger and haven't filled in yet......but that's not what the graph is showing us.  I agree Washington didn't win the cup because they're bigger.  It was a combination of things of which that article I referenced is probably pretty close with the analysis.  My point all along has been that JB is gambling by picking a bunch of lightweights when the team needs some toughness.  This might turn out alright for him, but as I said, he's putting a lot of eggs in the same basket.

Let's agree to disagree before we drive everyone else nuts here!  Cheers.

I told you that more than likely the weight issue relates to better training and diet.   The other point is that you are wrong about JB picking lightweight.  Jake, Nikita, Gadj, Brise and so forth.  Boeser, Gaudette, Lind, Oli are league average.   

23 hours ago, samurai said:

I told you that more than likely the weight issue relates to better training and diet.   The other point is that you are wrong about JB picking lightweight.  Jake, Nikita, Gadj, Brise and so forth.  Boeser, Gaudette, Lind, Oli are league average.   

Was talking about this draft.....not previous drafts.  Especially considering he drafted more Dmen