The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, wildcam said:

I am very excited with the Quinn Hughes ... 

Benning mentioned in interview on Sportsnet 650 that Hughes has mention he might be interested in turning pro and not going back to college in the fall...

Lots of people think he could hum into the NHL with his great skating and speed..He played with men on USA

team that won Bronze and didn't look out of place..

I predict Vancouver sign him soon and he makes the Canucks team this season..

He turns 19 in October....Will be very interesting to follow this great pick...

I think we will have a very good pick at #37 tomorrow...

Some good prospects passed over....Very excited for the # 37th pick it will be a Centre or D man..

I say it will be another D man...

Jett Woo D, 6'0, 205

Jared McIsaac 6'1, 194  D ( Josh Manson type)

Mattias Samuelsson 6'3, 205 D

ugh ugh    Sorry of people feel he could step into the  NHL next year, he showed signs playing with USA mens team this past may...He was playing with NHL players and looked fine..

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

They beat Edmonton that year.  It was the own goal that beat them, so really beat themselves.

Steve Smith’s own goal as a rookie.  Turned into a good defence man, though, sadly a play of his on Bure blue out Bure’s Knee for the first time - good play, though, just bad luck for Bure, I think he caught a rut in the ice.

I love this pick!

Can't lie.  Had Boqvist on my own agenda first. Either, or Dobson for different reasons, were just fine from my camp!

Imagine how much faster we will be two years from now, compared to just two years ago???  :gocan:

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Benning mentioned in interview on Sportsnet 650 that Hughes has mention he might be interested in turning pro and not going back to college in the fall...

Lots of people think he could hum into the NHL with his great skating and speed..He played with men on USA

Some good prospects passed over....Very excited for the # 37th pick it will be a Centre or D man..

Jett Woo D, 6'0, 205

Body Wilde D, 6'2 198 Ranked 25 on Mckenzie's list

Adam Ginning D, 6'4 206 

Hopefully we snag another solid D prospect

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Yes, or at least he turns pro and goes to Utica. I think the AHL is the current level he's at.

The only thing I see a concern is his decision making sometimes as he tends to do a lot of risky stuff. I'm not even concerned about his size. He's got the speed, the agility, and smarts to avoid the physical stuff and most likely won't get touched at all. His incredible tenacious backchecking ability also makes it easier for him to defend. He's very defensively sound and other than his skating and puck ability, is what really struck me most at the Worlds. Unlike others in the draft class, he's good in all facets. 

I don't think this organization has ever had the skating and puck ability that Hughes has and he's only 18. Hughes dominated his college season in his draft year. He plays with predominantly 23-25 year olds, he has a handful of experience playing against seasoned veterans and NHL'ers at the Worlds, and didnt look out of place once.

I'm actually quite confident he turns pro. I wouldn't throw him into the NHL just yet, but I surely have him in Utica.

He can't go to AHL as he is only 19.. 

5 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Jett Woo D, 6'0, 205

My guess is that Hughes has not yet been in an environment with so much hitting as the AHL and NHL.  I would think it's college or AHL this year (I understand he's eligible for AHL). 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Body Wilde D, 6'2 198 Ranked 25 on Mckenzie's list

Adam Ginning D, 6'4 206 

Hopefully we snag another solid D prospect

Has Noel been picked yet?  It looks like we are going to get another excellent prospect at #37 for sure, considering all the guys who are still on the board.

Our timeline to contention as I've stated a few times before is 2021.  

2018/2019 is another top 10 pick.  Entrance of our first true wave of home grown prospects to the AHL and actual depth becoming visible across the board

2019/2020 is our first huge step forward.  Bubble team to 1st round loss while watching our 1st year of kids in the AHL develop.  Some call ups to the NHL

2020/2021 is our year to turn the league over.  Large waves of home grown prospects pushing the AHL to the NHL and stocks in Euro/College CHL leagues

Quinn Hughes fits perfectly in to this timeline in the same way Boqvist would have.  While not physically NHL ready yet, he will be by the time we make our first true push towards respectability in 2 seasons.

He is small now, much like Peterson was last year.  I said then that I knew he was going to be a longer term project but he may have kicked the door down with his insane play.  We have 2 years to shed the last of the contracts of the old core, garner extra picks and prospects.

in 2-3 years or seasons time we will have (should Benning be allowed to actually continue the build) without question one of; if not THE deepest pool of prospects this team has ever assembled 

I don't see anyone unhappy with this pick.  I was still more on the Boqvist train between the two and leaned towards an RHD due to long term needs but this kids skating and skill is almost unquestionable.

Welcome to the team kid.  No rush.  You do you for now and don't listen to the idiocy of our fan base.  There's 10 true lovers of this team for every ThGuardian_ 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, wildcam said:

He can't go to AHL as he is only 19.. 

I believe he can because he isn't coming out of Junior and has no Junior team to be returned to. Its in the transfer agreement. Benning said he could play in the AHL but its up to him if he wants to go play with his brother. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Has Noel been picked yet?  It looks like we are going to get another excellent prospect at #37 for sure, considering all the guys who are still on the board.

Noel is a winger, Benning said he would try for a centre or D man and there are 6 very good D men and 2 good centres...So thats 8 good picks and we will get one ...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nope.  Noel and Mcleod seem like the biggest fallers available right now.  

10 minutes ago, Pears said:

If Hughes does make the team next year, sign a guy like Neal and role out a powerplay like this

Neal - Horvat - Pettersson

Boeser - Hughes

Boom. 

James Neal. Hmm.

36 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Actually he is quite small... 

But on the second part of your post... I think he's going to be great and light it up... also help Canuck forwards light it up....  

What... 175 and growing?  That's not tiny.  He'll be 185 in a year or two max.  Maybe top out around 190, 195.  No, he's never going to be a bruising player, but that's not his game anyway and his game lends itself to keeping it away from the opposition - which means keeping himself away from others.

• Upvote 1