The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I mostly just want to comment on targeting Karlsson. In my opinion, it would likely depend on what happens in the draft. Perhaps we make the playoffs. Perhaps we stay around the same or even take a nose dive. In the later 2 situations, we are in the draft lottery (albeit with less chances than previous years most likely).

The reason why I mention this is, in the unlikely event we pick up a Hughes or someone else who will likely be paid a lot down the road, that's eventually a lot of people to be paying big bucks to. We'd effectively be the next Toronto (although let's not kid ourselves as that's not a bad situation to be in lol). I think it's just something to be mindful of.

Of course it would be smart to inquire about Karlsson as we need defense, but if you look at teams like Pittsburgh: they've had times where people were going "where's the defense? They have.... Letang?...." and then they win the cup as everyone buys into the system. lol

PIT also has two of the best C's of the past 15'ish years (and a Letang, which we're presently lacking - though perhaps Hughes fills a similar role eventually). 'Getting a Crosby' (followed by a Malkin) isn't exactly a plan you can 'copycat' :lol:

Any player we draft this year is going to likely be 4+ years before they're even off their ELC. That would be more than half of any potential Karlsson deal and an awful lot of time for cap increases including a bound to be lucrative SEA expansion. We have plenty of vets expiring over that time frame to cover the other raises. We can afford one big UFA IMO and I can't think of anyone better than an exceedingly rare generational, RH'd, offensive D who suits our team's shortcomings to a T. 

And as you point out, having 'too many' good assets is a hell of a 'problem' to have (and one I'd gladly accept). Hopefully Benning is just less idiotic about it and moves our 'Nylander' for futures before tanking his value. More CHI in their prime management, cycling auxiliary (but high value) pieces out for futures to complement the core and less...whatever the hell TOR is doing.

11 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I mostly just want to comment on targeting Karlsson. In my opinion, it would likely depend on what happens in the draft. Perhaps we make the playoffs. Perhaps we stay around the same or even take a nose dive. In the later 2 situations, we are in the draft lottery (albeit with less chances than previous years most likely).

The reason why I mention this is, in the unlikely event we pick up a Hughes or someone else who will likely be paid a lot down the road, that's eventually a lot of people to be paying big bucks to. We'd effectively be the next Toronto (although let's not kid ourselves as that's not a bad situation to be in lol). I think it's just something to be mindful of.

Of course it would be smart to inquire about Karlsson as we need defense, but if you look at teams like Pittsburgh: they've had times where people were going "where's the defense? They have.... Letang?...." and then they win the cup as everyone buys into the system. lol

Letang is really good.  So is Doughty.  So was Keith.  So was Chara.  Great D men make their D core (and goalies) look a lot better than they really are.  These great D also make the forwards look better too.  We have Quinn coming, so he will be our super, elite, generational, great D man.  

Although, I do really like EK too.  If we sign him, then we have two super elite guys!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

PIT also has two of the best C's of the past 15'ish years (and a Letang, which we're presently lacking - though perhaps Hughes fills a similar role eventually). 'Getting a Crosby' (followed by a Malkin) isn't exactly a plan you can 'copycat' :lol:

Any player we draft this year is going to likely be 4+ years before they're even off their ELC. That would be more than half of any potential Karlsson deal and an awful lot of time for cap increases including a bound to be lucrative SEA expansion. We have plenty of vets expiring over that time frame to cover the other raises. We can afford one big UFA IMO and I can't think of anyone better than an exceedingly rare generational, RH'd, offensive D who suits our team's shortcomings to a T. 

And as you point out, having 'too many' good assets is a hell of a 'problem' to have (and one I'd gladly accept). Hopefully Benning is just less idiotic about it and moves our 'Nylander' for futures before tanking his value. More CHI in their prime management, cycling auxiliary (but high value) pieces out for futures to complement the core and less...whatever the hell TOR is doing.

Haha You are right that it would be hard to copycat, but one could also point out that if by some miracle we won the draft lottery and drafted Hughes, we'd effectively have done just that in having Pettersson and Hughes as a one-two punch (and having Horvat as the 3rd center would just be ridiculously hard for opposing teams). Boeser would be our Kessel (not a serious comparison before someone whacks me on the head for suggesting that). Hughes would be our Letang. Think about that. ;)

I'm obviously not saying that will happen. What I'm saying is knowing where we stand in the draft later on could have a major impact on who we target come free agency. That being said, Pittsburgh has brought in veteran defense from time to time like Martin, etc.

Would be funny to see that happen though. Can we live in Neverland just once?

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Haha You are right that it would be hard to copycat, but one could also point out that if by some miracle we won the draft lottery and drafted Hughes, we'd effectively have done just that in having Pettersson and Hughes as a one-two punch (and having Horvat as the 3rd center would just be ridiculously hard for opposing teams). Boeser would be our Kessel (not a serious comparison before someone whacks me on the head for suggesting that). Hughes would be our Letang. Think about that. ;)

I'm obviously not saying that will happen. What I'm saying is knowing where we stand in the draft later on could have a major impact on who we target come free agency.

Would be funny to see that happen though. Can we live in Neverland just once?

Awful handy that the draft happens before free agency, isn't it? ;) 

Doubt we win the lotto though (even jumping up to a 2nd or 3rd OA would sure be nice for a change).

And even then, it might be in our best interest to still target EK and make hay while we can, with as many of these kids on ELC's as possible. Defense would still be our shortcoming and would still make sense to target guys like EK (or Myers, Gardiner etc). Try to win a cup or two over the next 5'ish years and deal with cap ramifications and 'too many good players' later.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

We don't fully know this though. We know what his agent said, but that's about it. Edler's a quiet one and keeps to himself. He hasn't really told us much personally.

So I think what you are saying is more opinion than fact in this case as we simply just don't know the facts. He might be willing to waive. He might not. We honestly don't know so I think any assumption in this case is easily fallible.

That being said, do I see Edler being traded? Personally, my guess is no but it's just that: a guess.

I don't disagree, but the function of an agent is to speak and act on behalf of the player.  So, if the agent says it, it's coming from Edler

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't disagree, but the function of an agent is to speak and act on behalf of the player.  So, if the agent says it, it's coming from Edler

I wish it were that easy, but I just think it's perhaps trying to "oversimplify" the situation?

Attorneys also act on behalf of people and other entities. Does that mean they tell the truth all the time? Furthermore, when you get media in between as a 3rd party reporting things, it's easy for quotes to be taken out of context or skewed. I'm not saying that happened by the way. I'm just saying that just because an agent says something, sometimes the goal is leverage over exact truth. Agents aren't paid to be honest with the public. Agents are paid to act on whatever is in the best interest for that player. ;)

So, while I believe Edler doesn't want to leave, there's also been times where Edler's said he would waive his clause if asked. So where exactly are we with that? I'd say the most likely scenario is that Edler realises that it's a business in the end, although that doesn't mean he has to like it either. That's my guess though.

Edited by The Lock

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'm with Lock on this one. Is it likely Edler gets moved? No. is it possible? Sure. I wouldn't be making any hard and fast declarations of 'fact', on what's to be, regarding him either way. 

I do think our 'playoff position' will have very little influence on it though contrary to what a lot of folks seem to think. Benning came flat out and said that standings this season will have basically no influence on what is already their TDL plan and long term vision. If he doesn't get moved it's because he wants to be here and we want him here. Nothing to do with playoffs.

And yes Phat, Edler would garner considerable interest.

Not sure I agree re: Hutton, he's shown to be a solid depth (2nd or 3rd pair) option and there's plenty of room on the left for Edler, Hutton and Hughes (never mind that I think long term, the Canucks might play Hughes on the right). Juolevi needs reps in Utica next fall before we start penciling him in IMO. He's missed an unfortunate amount of development time with injuries :( 

Things that could effect moving Hutton: Next year could JB look to maybe package say Hutton + Tanev for an upgrade....maybe. Do we target Karlsson or Gardiner this summer? 

Well, I think JB just shut the idea of trading edler down completely.  

Edler has played great this year....but Hutton is still an upgrade...!

Edler is 32 years old and has just figured it out....finally...the mistakes are fewer, the bad pinches almost not there anymore and the slow feet are being better mitigated by making the right decisions....but he is 32, it's only going to go south from here...

Hutton has made big strides this year and I see no reason that he won't continue to improve, he is 25 years old and just coming into his prime.

A Hughes/ Edler pairing would be a mess in my opinion ...but a Hughes / Hutton pairing may work out well, Ben moves better than Eddie and is the right age to be a role model but not an elder statesman that Quinn feels he has to acquiesce to all the time...aka Edler...

Trade Edler for a first and resign him in the summer if we want too....

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Edler is 32 years old and has just figured it out....finally...the mistakes are fewer, the bad pinches almost not there anymore and the slow feet are being better mitigated by making the right decisions....but he is 32, it's only going to go south from here...

Hutton has made big strides this year and I see no reason that he won't continue to improve, he is 25 years old and just coming into his prime.

A Hughes/ Edler pairing would be a mess in my opinion ...but a Hughes / Hutton pairing may work out well, Ben moves better than Eddie and is the right age to be a role model but not an elder statesman that Quinn feels he has to acquiesce to all the time...aka Edler...

What are you even talking about? Edler has been a very good defense man for a long time. :picard: Just like every player he has up and down years.

Plus trading UFA and then resigning them in the summer almost never happens in real life. Although it sounds like a great idea it does not happen. Just sign Edler now with a team friendly contract if possible.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

If Edler really wants to help the team, this is what he does.  But I can also see the merits of being a one team long term guy, because today, its ultraaaaaaaaa rare.  I am fine either way, but prefer the first.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I can’t take you seriously when you talk about how he’s improved this year, but that somehow he absolutely must go south from now on. Who’s to say he won’t continue and improve (even if just slightly) for the next 3-5 years? You literally just admitted he improved at 32, so why does it absolutely have to stop?