The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

Madden has the drive and skill to be as good as Gaudette and Gaudette has the drive and skill to be as good as Horvat...so I don't think we need to worry about Madden...his only issue might be trying to make the Canucks next year...even if we trade Sutter he would have to outplay AG because Green won't play him at 4C, I hope Madden is alright with a year in Utica or playing the wing....

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Madden has the drive and skill to be as good as Gaudette and Gaudette has the drive and skill to be as good as Horvat...so I don't think we need to worry about Madden...his only issue might be trying to make the Canucks next year...even if we trade Sutter he would have to outplay AG because Green won't play him at 4C, I hope Madden is alright with a year in Utica or playing the wing....

For all the skill and compete this young lad shows he still needs to bulk up a bit before he plies his trade in the NHL; I think a year in Utica would benefit both the team and him. Gives him time to add body mass and adjust to the pro life as well. The future looks bright for him but lets not be in a rush, rather let him fully develop in Utica than possibly struggle in Vancouver. Training camp next year will more than likely determine if he is ready or needs more seasoning.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

When our D prospects are mentioned, most people seem to only be naming Woo and Rathbone, but Tryamkin still has to be added to the mix here and may still be the strongest D prospect of them all.

Also, when it comes to the centres, I agree that the young centres on our roster are very strong.  But no team that wants to be a long-term contender can rest on its laurels and just be happy with its current roster players.  Benning has to be keeping the prospect cupboard full for long-term success, and at this point in time, centre is the position where our future prospect roster (and no Kanukfanatic, not our current team roster) is the leanest.

Most of us are much more interested in what happens during Petey, Bo and Gaud's tenures here than we are in what the teams depth might be like a decade down the road. If Madden or Focht make the team, it's likely to be that long before center depth becomes an issue. Of course JB will continue working to keep the pipeline full, but center is not a position that needs any special attention at this point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

His dad John set a lot of records at Michigan State but went undrafted in 1993.  After finishing his 4 years and Michigan State, he had to wait all the way until 1999 to make his NHL debut.  This included two years in the AHL.  

I'm sure that Tyler Madden will be okay with going to play in the AHL first, and he'll probably need two full years there.  We're seeing now so many deficiencies in Gaudette's game (defense and faceoffs), so Madden should be afforded a lot of time to get acclimated to playing professionally. 

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Most of us are much more interested in what happens during Petey, Bo and Gaud's tenures here than we are in what the teams depth might be like a decade down the road. If Madden or Focht make the team, it's likely to be that long before center depth becomes an issue. Of course JB will continue working to keep the pipeline full, but center is not a position that needs any special attention at this point.

That's great to hear that you're happy with the centres on the team now -- who isn't?  All I'm sayin' is that our prospect depth at centre is lower than at wing and D, so yes, Benning would be wise to shore our depth up there.  He went all wingers in the last draft, so here's to hoping that he leans toward centres in the next draft.

• Wat 2

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Not sure why some posters cannot understand this!

Excellent post.

3 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

That's great to hear that you're happy with the centres on the team now -- who isn't?  All I'm sayin' is that our prospect depth at centre is lower than at wing and D, so yes, Benning would be wise to shore our depth up there.  He went all wingers in the last draft, so here's to hoping that he leans toward centres in the next draft.

You seriously cannot understand that D depth is more important right now?

Nothing else needs to be said then....

:picard:

PS: bpa

Edited by Kanukfanatic

9 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

You seriously cannot understand that D depth is more important right now?

Nothing else needs to be said then....

:picard:

PS: bpa

I have read in a couple of Prospect rankings that there should be some dmen right where would draft in the 1st round, "IF" we don't make the playoffs

In the second round.....who knows

But yeah....BPA

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I have read in a couple of Prospect rankings that there should be some dmen right where would draft in the 1st round, "IF" we don't make the playoffs

In the second round.....who knows

But yeah....BPA

Ya this draft is high on top end offence, lot of strong D will land in the 10-18 range likely.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

And you seriously can't understand how much our C prospect depth needs to be strengthened :picard::picard:  That's right....face palms x2 back at you mister!!

We have 3 young centers in the NHL 2 veteran centers. And a solid prospect in Madden. Seems solid for a little bit, not staying don’t take shot in the second and third round at centres but we for sure aren’t in dire need unless you think Pete horvat or Guad are getting traded

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

And you seriously can't understand how much our C prospect depth needs to be strengthened :picard::picard:  That's right....face palms x2 back at you mister!!

We are looking pretty solid down the middle. Adding numbers is one thing but we have one of the best young center groups in the league.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

focht and madden our great center prospects  and we have horvat 25 petey 21 miller 27 and gaudette 23  and sutter and beagle not sure we need any centers in the next 10 yrs 

15 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Injuries.  Free agency.  Play falls off, want more money plus a million other reasons why players don't stay.

I think the only question around Madden is, will he be strong enough after this season to sign and send to Utica, or does he need another year of College hockey. He's an awesome prospect, really hope that he doesn't turn pro before he's really ready to.

Anyone know what his weight was at the start of this season?

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think the only question around Madden is, will he be strong enough after this season to sign and send to Utica, or does he need another year of College hockey. He's an awesome prospect, really hope that he doesn't turn pro before he's really ready to.

Anyone know what his weight was at the start of this season?

He's still pretty scrawny; especially for a C.  Genetically speaking, he will probably fill out to be in the 5'11 @ 190lb range, just like his dad.  That's not bad.

• Upvote 1