The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Elias Lindholm, Noah Hanifin to Flames for Dougie Hamilton, Micheal Ferland, Adam Fox

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Regardless, the Flames are going to have trouble replacing Ferland.  I wonder how many of the Flame’s players had a “wtf” moment, when they saw Ferland included in the deal?  Those tough guys are usually well liked by their team mates, no?  I know we love to hate Ferland (and deservingly so) but the guy can actually play.  

7 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

He still had Ferland backing him up. 

I think people are stuck on the memory of ferklunds playoff series against us. He didn’t play like that very often in regular season, he was not a tough guy, he was a disappearing act similar to kassian who often got away from the physical side of the game thinking he was a skilled player.

He was not some intimidating force that ran everything on the ice. Flames wished he played like Tom Wilson but outside of those six games in playoffs he never did. A guy like gudbranson is far more intimidating. Ferklund wouldn’t stand a chance against guddy. 

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think people are stuck on the memory of ferklunds playoff series against us. He didn’t play like that very often in regular season, he was not a tough guy, he was a disappearing act similar to kassian who often got away from the physical side of the game thinking he was a skilled player.

He was not some intimidating force that ran everything on the ice. Flames wished he played like Tom Wilson but outside of those six games in playoffs he never did. A guy like gudbranson is far more intimidating. Ferklund wouldn’t stand a chance against guddy. 

Didn't Ferland play top line minutes, take only minimal penalties, was a plus player, while scoring 20?

He's going to be missed.  Not only did the Flames give up Ferland (still don't get why they included him) they gave up the by far the best player in the deal - Hamilton.  The Flames are hoping Hanifin turns into Hamilton.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Jake's acceleration is so much better he only needs like 2-3 strides to hit Ferland's top speed. Lol. It's one of those things where you can't judge one player by the same metric as another. NBA has a similar problem with offensive fouls. James will get called for an offensive foul on Curry, but will do the exact same thing to say Kawhi and it's fair game. 

Ferland was capable of hammering most every Canuck because of his speed. Jake, not so much. I’d say Ferland untilized his speed much better in his role than Jake has. 

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Didn't Ferland play top line minutes, take only minimal penalties, was a plus player, while scoring 20?

He's going to be missed.  Not only did the Flames give up Ferland (still don't get why they included him) they gave up the by far the best player in the deal - Hamilton.  The Flames are hoping Hanifin turns into Hamilton.  

that's some silly logic Alf.

The Flames are hoping Hanifin turns into Hamilton?  That's nonsense.  The Flames had and dealt Hamilton.  Maybe it's worth asking why?.

The Lames will get the points they lose back in the form of Brodie's production rising again by virtue of playing with Giordano.

And they add a 21 yr old who is already tracking to be a better player than Hamilton.  Hanifin has played twice the games, scored twice the points that Hamilton had in his draft +3 years.

Hanifin was not playing with a Zdeno Chara nor on a 110+ pt team in that span.

I'd take Hanifin for Hamilton one for one - without hesitation.  Hamilton is plain over-rated.  He's gonna need another Chara/Giordano in Carolina - fortunate for him he may be playing with Slavin.

In any event, I think Calgary in the end will win the Hanifin/Hamilton aspect of this deal, the Lindholm/Ferland aspect of this deal, and Carolina will be banking on Fox to close the gap.

That coming from someone that really likes Ferland - no hate like you have for him.   Ferland is effective, and the type of player that is often under-rated - but not in this thread.  (Maybe he'll sign here next summer lol - that would be entertaining).  The under-rated assets in here are Hanfiin and Lindholm.  Calgary bought low on these two,  bought high on Hamilton, and sold high on Hamilton and Ferland.

The idea that Hamilton is a top 5 D in the league is about as laughable as the idea that Jake Gardiner was going to propel the Leafs on a long playoff run.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

He hit 19 by Jan and then disappeared. He’s a 56% ozone start guy that never is counted on in the defensive zone because he’s poor defensively. He plays zero minutes on the pk. I’ll be surprised if he comes close to 40 points next year. 

Lindholm put up 16 goals without getting to play with Johnny and monahan. He also averaged 1:21 pk time per game. And he’s 3 years younger. Ferklunds broken 35 point mark once in his career. Lindholm has done it 4 years in a row. 

Hamilton is soft as butter and pouted as soon as his crappy brother got moved.   Andersson will get more offensive minutes. Hanifin only put up 10 points less than dougie last year and dougie averaged a full minute more on the PP. Hanifin is 4 years younger a better skater and is only going to get better where dougie is what he is. A lazy penalty magnet that only know what to do when the pucks offensive zone. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Like watching two squirrels chase each other.

you make a very good point though.  Maybe teams need at least one of these super elite skating guys on D to defend against the league’s trend to smaller - hyper quick - forwards, especially in open ice?  

Yep, nobody’s gonna go through Hughes’ legs anytime soon...

In all fairness to Hughes, young kids still have to put on meat on their bodies. A height of 5’10” isn’t the end of the world, especially if the speed and skill is there.

And according to Benning’s uncontrollable positive attitude toward Hughes being available, we just got ourselves a 1D folks... some say maybe the best defenseman in the draft.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting how similar Pettersson is to Lindholm.

Both Swedish C/RWers taken 5th overall. Similar size and skill sets when drafted. And both have won almost identical medals at the international level.

Looks like the Flames were jealous of our young Swedish super rookie so they decided to try and acquire their own. :lol:

• Upvote 1

I have a feeling the Flames are gonna regret trading Fox.  I know that it was suggested that he would not sign in Calgary, but the Flames have so many d spots taken (and additional D prospects) he may have thought he chances to succeed in Calgary were limited.

Anyhow, he is no slouch

21 minutes ago, Darius said:

I have a feeling the Flames are gonna regret trading Fox.  I know that it was suggested that he would not sign in Calgary, but the Flames have so many d spots taken (and additional D prospects) he may have thought he chances to succeed in Calgary were limited.

Anyhow, he is no slouch

Fox wasn't going to sign in calgary not because he wasn't sure about his spots but because he wants to play in new york.

On 6/26/2018 at 12:50 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow, I wish the players called Hanifin and Lindholm that are being described in this thread had played for the Canes last year.    These new guys sound really good and the imposters that played in Carolina were simply poor actors I guess.

I suppose it's natural to want to tell yourself that when your new owner-GM just dealt Elias Lindholm for the Flames' Trent Klatt.

And don't get me wrong there - I loved Klatt - and I like Ferland as well - but that part of the deal stands to cause y'all lots of anxiety for years to come.

Anyhow, comfort in narratives about a 23 yr old imposter with 188 NHL points, and a 21 yr old defenseman with 6 fewer career points than the 26 yr old winger the Canes got.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

I suppose it's natural to want to tell yourself that when your new owner-GM just dealt Elias Lindholm for the Flames' Trent Klatt.

And don't get me wrong there - I loved Klatt - and I like Ferland as well - but that part of the deal stands to cause y'all lots of anxiety for years to come.

Anyhow, comfort in narratives about a 23 yr old imposter with 188 NHL points, and a 21 yr old defenseman with 6 fewer career points than the 26 yr old winger the Canes got.

I am a bit confused as I don't get your point.   The key in the trade for Canes was grit (F) but also clearly Hamilton as they felt Noah simply wasn't getting "there" fast enough.   I don't really like the trade but I do know Canes had to get tougher.   

I am not looking for any "comfort" but can say that in the Western Conference, I really worry about Elias as he really tends to shy away from tough going.   I think his contract is excessive.   That has nothing to do with the trade at all.   

BTW - I had to Google Trent Klatt.   You still have me confused as I don't understand your point.   Did Canucks trade him along with a top pairing D to another team in the past?   I could not find any such record but it was a long while ago.   Give me a history lesson!

On 2018-07-17 at 3:40 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

I am a bit confused as I don't get your point.   The key in the trade for Canes was grit (F) but also clearly Hamilton as they felt Noah simply wasn't getting "there" fast enough.   I don't really like the trade but I do know Canes had to get tougher.   

I am not looking for any "comfort" but can say that in the Western Conference, I really worry about Elias as he really tends to shy away from tough going.   I think his contract is excessive.   That has nothing to do with the trade at all.   

BTW - I had to Google Trent Klatt.   You still have me confused as I don't understand your point.   Did Canucks trade him along with a top pairing D to another team in the past?   I could not find any such record but it was a long while ago.   Give me a history lesson!

You had to google Trent Klatt? Serious?

You downplayed both these players in previous posts and insinuated the canes won the deal. Wasn't Elias right up there in hits on the Canes?

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

You had to google Trent Klatt? Serious?

You downplayed both these players in previous posts and insinuated the canes won the deal. Wasn't Elias right up there in hits on the Canes?

Elias is a good player - I like him a lot.   He just tends to disappear when things got "heavy".    He is up there in hits the way that MDZ is in Vancouver - you see the stats but you go "really?".    I think he is a good player, just not sure how he will do out in the west.    Noah is an enigma who hasn't improved and regressed last year - I said that when there was talk of Canucks interest and I warned people to not think they would be getting a superstar.   

Yes, I do think Canes won the trade but clearly Calgary had to do something and it may work out really well for both teams.

Yes, I really had to Google Trent Klatt.    Apologies for not being either older or that much of a Canuck historian.

• Upvote 1

I still think that Ferland is "that" depth playoff performer that every team needs to go deep into the playoffs. You know the "average" regular season guy that excels during a deep run. It's not so much that I think he will do that in Carolina - because they are not going to be contenders anytime soon - but I'm happy that a turd team like Calgary lost him :lol:

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Elias is a good player - I like him a lot.   He just tends to disappear when things got "heavy".    He is up there in hits the way that MDZ is in Vancouver - you see the stats but you go "really?".    I think he is a good player, just not sure how he will do out in the west.    Noah is an enigma who hasn't improved and regressed last year - I said that when there was talk of Canucks interest and I warned people to not think they would be getting a superstar.   

Yes, I do think Canes won the trade but clearly Calgary had to do something and it may work out really well for both teams.

Yes, I really had to Google Trent Klatt.    Apologies for not being either older or that much of a Canuck historian.

Well maybe I'm wrong and you aren't Brent Krahn.