Sign in to follow this  
Qwags

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

My concern about Boldy is Boston College. Wahlstrom really struggled there this year, well maybe didn’t struggle but his year was lackluster.

 

looking at how farabee excelled at Boston Uni makes me wonder was it the program or was it personal for Wahlstrom.

 

but they do have a good group of rookies coming in, including Newhook and Goalie Knight.

 

it would suck to draft Boldy at 10 and Newhook goes at like 12 or something and if he directly outperforms Boldy..

 

 

I am not sold on Boldy.  His skating is a concern.  He has a great shot and IQ.  I am all for Zegras, Turcotte, Krebs Cozens or Dach.  Caufield is a gamer, but his size is a concern.  Is he a Schoeder or a Marner?  

 

I don't think Broberg or Soder are as good as last years top d men and Morietz is too much of an unknown playing in a lower league to gamble our first on him.  

 

That's my take.  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For lower rounds, Nick Robertson, Ryan Siedem, Cole Moberg, Case McCarthy, and Michael Gildon could pan out. These are guys that have the smarts and the drive but haven't exactly produced yet. Individual skills can be taught, like the small things. Judging off what I've seen from them, Siedem in-particular, they could be late bloomers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

He's a top 6 or bust type of guy IMO. I think he will be a top 6 forward for sure, but he may not achieve that elite status. I think he's become a "brand name", but there are guys in the draft that aren't far off from him in the top 7 or 8. Basically I feel like he will be a Nico Hischier type of player who I would not be upset using a 1st overall pick as he would be a surefire NHLer, but there could be EP potential somewhere else in the draft.

The Nico Hischier comparison is spot on. I was thinking the same thing. Like decent player but not top line player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, stawns said:

I think it's possible he's a bust as a first or second overall.  He'll be a good NHL'er, at least, though

I dont think there is a chance, not with the Hughes work ethic. Hearing their dad talk about them competing in an interview, it would take a major injury.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think certain players are just built for the NHL. Players who are currently playing against men have an advantage. Looks at Pettersson, playing in a men's league, he was able to translate his game seamlessly. This is a reason why Soderstrom and Seider (and even Broberg to some extent) intrigues me. And another reason why Caufield concerns me. He was having a field day playing with Team Hughes last season, playing against other kids, but I don't feel confident he'll kick down the door and be the next Gaudreau or Debrincat when he gets to the NHL (or if). The combine should be interesting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The top of the draft can be a strange animal. I'm of course looking for a silver lining after another lottery draft shaft. Over the years some players go at early because they are closer to NHL ready rather than having a higher ceiling. Nolan Patrick over Petey is a  classic example. The lure of injecting a player into the lineup quickly can blind some GM's whose jobs may not be that solidified. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoping for Blake Murray in the 2nd round. Decent size and speed for a center, with a lethal and accurate shot.

 

Pre-season ranking he was a top 15 prospect, but after an underwhelming season, he fell out of the top 30. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Completely sold on Soderstrom.

 

Defensively responsible, physically engaged at all times, and possesses the skillset to complement our fast, talented forwards. Not to mention he fills an organization need.

Just watched a bunch of highlights on him. Looks solid at both ends. Especially on the PP. and that is where we need help on. I can’t count how many games the last 4-5 years where the PP lost us valuable points by firing blanks. We had a top PP from 08-11 and won a ton a games. Soderstrom looks like the real deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Just watched a bunch of highlights on him. Looks solid at both ends. Especially on the PP. and that is where we need help on. I can’t count how many games the last 4-5 years where the PP lost us valuable points by firing blanks. We had a top PP from 08-11 and won a ton a games. Soderstrom looks like the real deal. 

Yep Im a big Soderstrom fan. Looks like the exact piece we need moving forward. Imagine a power play with Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes and Soderstrom on it. Would be downright lethal.

 

Draft Soderstrom, we need a guy like this and a RD is far more valuable then a winger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I dont think Hughes will bust but he could be Clayton Keller rather than Patrick Kane.

 

He alot better skater than Keller though.

 

 

Being in Boston I actually watched a lot of BU games and watched Keller play plenty in his draft year. I called it when I said he's going to be drafted lower than he deserves and will compete for the Calder the year after. 

 

With that being said, J. Hugues is going to be a lot closer to Kane than Keller. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, suitup said:

Being in Boston I actually watched a lot of BU games and watched Keller play plenty in his draft year. I called it when I said he's going to be drafted lower than he deserves and will compete for the Calder the year after. 

 

With that being said, J. Hugues is going to be a lot closer to Kane than Keller. 

Yeah didn't mean that as a knock on Keller. He's a great player.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Completely sold on Soderstrom.

 

Defensively responsible, physically engaged at all times, and possesses the skillset to complement our fast, talented forwards. Not to mention he fills an organization need.

How far away do you think he is?  3 years minimum?  I am not adverse to taking a d man, but this year at ten I hope either Krebs or Vegras falls.  Whomever is there at ten is going to be at least 2 years away.  

 

Soderstrom does have a good two way game and is already playing in the SHL so ge should translate.  This draft I think that there is one or two forwards that will fall out of the top 9 that have more upside.  

 

Gotta think that Edmonton is looking hard at him too.  He could be gone before ten.  

 

Good depth is never a bad thing, but if a deal can be made with our first to get better sooner, I would think that JB would trade our pick.  JB doesn't have any clock left.  

 

JB knows that he has to make some moves this summer to get this team competitive.  That RHD need is urgent.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, aGENT said:

Depending on where Benning hears Boldy's going/if he thinks he'd dropped to us, I'd be perfectly fine if he thinks moving up 2'ish spots lands him vs not landing him...if the price isn't too out to lunch.

 

Not that some of the other options at 10 won't also be solid picks but I think Boldy's a damn good player and fit.

 

So no, not stupid.

Sorry I could have phrased that better.

 

The idea of trading up 2 spots from 10th overall is not stupid.

 

Anyone believing that actually happens in the real world with a rebuilding team giving up copious assets to make it happen is stupid. ::D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

How far away do you think he is?  3 years minimum?  I am not adverse to taking a d man, but this year at ten I hope either Krebs or Vegras falls.  Whomever is there at ten is going to be at least 2 years away.  

  

Soderstrom does have a good two way game and is already playing in the SHL so ge should translate.  This draft I think that there is one or two forwards that will fall out of the top 9 that have more upside.  

  

Gotta think that Edmonton is looking hard at him too.  He could be gone before ten.  

 

Good depth is never a bad thing, but if a deal can be made with our first to get better sooner, I would think that JB would trade our pick.  JB doesn't have any clock left.  

 

 JB knows that he has to make some moves this summer to get this team competitive.  That RHD need is urgent.  

 

7

He plays a mature, cerebral game that would likely have him not look out of place even if he slotted in next year.

 

But, it would be in his best interest to test his limits offensively in another league next year while still building his frame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

 

Oh my god. However that doesn’t really help his case of falling to 10 unfortunately.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.