The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Did you read my post even? I never said Boeser so I’m not sure why the need for your first paragraph? I agreee and said he’s not a burner but he’s not slow.

as for Petey yea we were surprised but his time was solid.. he’s a fast skater and he’s a rookie. He’s going to get faster too.

to say Petey isn’t a fast skater is crazy to me sorry mate can’t agree with that all. He pulled away from guys all year. Both of our top 6 Centres do not have any issues with speed.

now if you value raw skating speed over elite IQ we will not see eye to eye on this. And we just have different views on the game in general then.

Because I would take a decent skater with elite IQ over a skater with elite speed and decent IQ anyday of the week. 

I mean you said speed is not an issue for Boeser so I responded to that, did you not? However, I DID NOT say speed is an issue with him, I just stated he's not a fast skater, just like the rest of the proposed line, and as a result, I think Boldy doesn't make them dynamic enough as they have many of the same skills. 

Regarding the speed/IQ thing, we probably don't see it the same way. And perhaps I shouldn't say speed, it's moreso skating. I think that skating is really important, because it allows you to display your "IQ" or "hockey sense." I think there's probably a good number of people and fans who can process the game at a high level and have elite "IQ/hockey sense," but just aren't athletic enough to play hockey at a high level. On the other hand, if you're an elite skater your chances of making the league are much higher.

Essentially what I'm saying is that your ability to process the game is displayed much more if you had the ability to skate aka create space. And it's also easier to have high IQ than to be an elite skater. For example I actually think Granlund's IQ is really high, he just doesn't have the skill or skating to create space for himself to show it, and therefore nobody really thinks of Granlund as a high IQ player. So unless you're magicians with the puck like the Sedins are, there should always be a good skater on each line in order to open up space and show off "IQ/hockey sense."

But that's going way off topic, and I'm sure you'll have a good argument for "IQ"

Edited by Grape

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Byram is a great player, who (IMO) is the second biggest difference maker to Jack Hughes in the draft.  I don't think the Avs would take so little in a trade though.  Avs need young, scoring forwards.  To move up to 4 to get Byram (if he's there at four, which I doubt) would cost our 10th OA + Gaudette + Juiolevi + more.  I really don't think Hutton carries much value in trade.  

Getting Byram would be a coup in many regards, but at what cost?  I don't want to lose Demko to have him become the goalie he could be.  

Personally I dont like the idea of trading up.  It is too costly, risky etc... 

Someone else floated the idea of moving the 10th pick for Trouba.  That is more appealing to me, but we would be in the mix with Edmonton looking to do the exact same thing.  

IMO this deal could make sense for both clubs.  Chris Tanev, our 10th for Jacob Trouba and the jets 1st, likely a 30th OA.  

Tanev fills in a depth role on a very reasonable contract, Myers can resign in the Peg and the Jets would have a very veteran solid defence.  

If JB makes a deal for our pick, I would like to see an immediate team need addressed.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

We just view the game differently, not sure if you play it have ever played hockey either but I’ll say it again skating speed is not everything.

It is important, but I wouldn’t weight it heavier then hockey iq.

thinking fast, reading plays fast, anticipating linemates and opponents actions and positioning naturally or ahead of time are all things a player with high hockey Iq will do. Speed and puck skills allows a player like this execute on their IQ.

so to me a player with above average speed and very highhockey IQ will be an overall better player then someone who’s extremely fast with decent IQ, like a a Jake Virtanen. Kid has all the physical tools probably The fastest skater on the team too but his hockey IQ is not on the same level of a hughes Boeser Petey and it’s very obvious.

I can’t think of a single game where the line of whoever-Petey-Boeser looked slow or not dynamic as well.

i won’t keep messaging about it cause I don’t think I’ll convince you but was worth a try! 

Haha yeah I don't think I would change my mind. I'm gonna counter your Virtanen argument by saying Cody Hodgson. And Cody's not even in the league in large part due to skating.

I never thought of whoever - EP - BB as necessarily dynamic, just like I never considered the Sedins dynamic. They're both dominant lines but I think EP and BB are better served with a really good skating winger.

Just now, Grape said:

I mean you said speed is not an issue for Boeser so I responded to that, did you not? However, I DID NOT say speed is an issue with him, I just stated he's not a fast skater, just like the rest of the proposed line, and as a result, I think Boldy doesn't make them dynamic enough as they have many of the same skills. 

Regarding the speed/IQ thing, we probably don't see it the same way. And perhaps I shouldn't say speed, it's moreso skating. I think that skating is really important, because it allows you to display your "IQ" or "hockey sense." I think there's probably a good number of people and fans who can process the game at a high level and have elite "IQ/hockey sense," but just aren't athletic enough to play hockey at a high level. On the other hand, if you're an elite skater chances are that you have a better chance of making the league are much higher.

Essentially what I'm saying is that your ability to process the game is displayed much more if you had the ability to skate. Therefore unless you're magicians with the puck like the Sedins are, there needs to be a good skater on each line in order to open up space and show off "IQ/hockey sense."

But that's going way off topic, and I'm sure you'll have a good argument for "IQ"

Boldy is brilliant in the O-zone, and pegged to be a potential Selke finalist. 

Petey is very fast, beating out Keller and Kendall Coyne-Schofield in the all star competition and finishing only 0.016 behind Heiskanen, who I’m sure you’d say is fast. His shot is really damn good as well, and he’s defensively sound. He can do it all. 

Boeser is the pure sniper.  

I don’t know about you but this seems like a perfect top line - will score many goals, won’t be a defensive liability, and each player can cover for each other’s mistakes. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I think the slow high IQ Sedins were one of the most dynamic lines the NHL has ever seen. I also think that when you add Quinn Hughes to that mix you have a group of 5 that can keep teams pinned in their own end while Boldy Hughes Pettersson play catch and Boser hangs out in the Ovi spot. I dont think you can just plug Virtanen in there with the desired results. 

Sedins until around 2013 weren't actually "slow." They weren't fast (just like I don't consider Pettersson fast), but they could definitely skate and a few highlights on youtube I think would show that. Obviously I mentioned Pettersson as part of the line, but I was more focused towards Boldy and Boeser, two guys who I think don't complement each other well. 

Either way the team is really talented going forward and you're definitely not wrong for sure. 

10 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

Boldy is brilliant in the O-zone, and pegged to be a potential Selke finalist. 

Petey is very fast, beating out Keller and Kendall Coyne-Schofield in the all star competition and finishing only 0.016 behind Heiskanen, who I’m sure you’d say is fast. His shot is really damn good as well, and he’s defensively sound. He can do it all. 

Boeser is the pure sniper.  

I don’t know about you but this seems like a perfect top line - will score many goals, won’t be a defensive liability, and each player can cover for each other’s mistakes. 

I think it's way too early to peg a prospect like Boldy as a Selke finalist. I saw people pegging Juolevi as a projected Norris finalist and that was absurd giving him such high expectations.

It sounds like a sound top line for sure. But I prefer a top line that can get 80-90 points (at least for Pettersson) or even more, and I think by having Boldy it kind of stalls the offensive production as opposed to having a more dynamic player that can take the load off Pettersson a bit and create space and chances himself.

I don't know, personally I think the most important thing in hockey is the ability to create open space, and I love players who can do that. Boldy I think is a finisher, and we have Boeser for that already. I'd much prefer someone like Zegras personally.

Edited by Grape

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

Haha oh I understand he’s your favorite!! I’m a little indifferent because I really like Krebs and Zegras so feel no matter who we take at 10 I’m probbaly

going to  like them. Just hope they pick the one who will turn out to be the best haha.

but I agree Boldy if he becomes what he can would be the perfect stylistic fit for either line in our top 6!

ans don’t worry whoever Edmonton picks they’ll screw them up :)

I love Krebs and Zegras and desperately hope that one of them is available at 10, and I think they can potentially play wing to fill a need as well.

You already know I don't like Boldy :lol:

32 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Getting Byram would be a coup in many regards, but at what cost?  I don't want to lose Demko to have him become the goalie he could be.  

Personally I dont like the idea of trading up.  It is too costly, risky etc... 

Someone else floated the idea of moving the 10th pick for Trouba.  That is more appealing to me, but we would be in the mix with Edmonton looking to do the exact same thing.  

IMO this deal could make sense for both clubs.  Chris Tanev, our 10th for Jacob Trouba and the jets 1st, likely a 30th OA.  

Tanev fills in a depth role on a very reasonable contract, Myers can resign in the Peg and the Jets would have a very veteran solid defence.  

If JB makes a deal for our pick, I would like to see an immediate team need addressed.  

That would be an excellent trade for us, and it would definitely help the Jets too.  They are cap strapped right now, so getting a top prospect (the 10 overall pick) would be good for them.  Plus, they replace Trouba with Tanev, who is on a good contract.  

I like the idea.  Phone JB!!!!

• Upvote 1

I like the idea of trading up for Byram. The name I keep coming back too with him (if everything goes right) is Morgan Rielly. And he might not be that far away either. Just comes down to what we have to add w/ 10th OV to get him.

The one piece im hesitant to give up on would be Olli Juolevi. Because he could still be a good top 4 D. So is it worth giving up a top 4D & the player we'll get at 10 for another (albeit better) top 4D in Byram. 

I think I have done just about as much research as I think I can do at this point im just sea sawing back and forth on guys. I either want that super high cieling guy we may have to wait a bit to cook. Boldy high IQ goalscorer, Newhook elite speed or someone close to making the jump to the NHL Lavoi who can start out contributing in our bottom 6 and mature into a top 6 PWF.   If its a D JB is locked on I want Sieder who could mature into our Trouba/ Dumba. Soderstrom to me is a middle pairing D a very good one but I don't see him as a complement to Hughes going fwd.  

I'm going to be watching Krebs and Newhook closely in the upcoming U18. Possibly Krebs changes my mind on him but as of right now too many things worry me about him. It will be good to see how he performs on a better team. I think he's worn down from trying to do it all on his crappy team that he seems to make a lot of errors that are costly. Possibly on a better team he can excel as a complementary player instead of trying to be everywhere on the ice and giving up odd man rushes.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Hypothetically, where would he have gone in last years draft?  

Other than BB, I dont see the same quality of defender in the top of this years draft.  

What do I know, Button has Broberg going top 5.  

Getting a complete RHD cannot be over looked, but is he a top ten guy or a team need, or both as you suggest.  

Could a trade down accomplish the same goal?  

One scouting report I read, or watched put a premium on his RHD vs his other abilities... I will paraphrase, but the take was that his position is what puts him in the top 15, but if he was a LHD he would be in the lower half of the first round.  

We need RHD, Woo is in the pipeline, but we dont have alot else.  But the need is now.  I like Soderstrom, but have some doubts about his timeline.  

That said, you have been right far more than me.  With this draft I think JB might look to trade vs take a d man.  The only roadblock is that Edmonton is even more desperate than us and their timeline was 3 years ago.  

Likely between Bouchard and Ty Smith.

9 minutes ago, Mr.53 said:

Soderstrom or Seider.

... Or somehow manage to snag another first and take both?...

Hughes - Seider

Juolevi - Soderstrom.

Damn...

Both would be amazing. Never know, Seider may drop down to our second but its unlikely.

Hughes-Seider

Juolevi-Woo

Tryamkin-Soderstrom

elite

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

A couple of Swedes around where we pick our best scout is in Sweden I love our chances of getting the best of the 2 also we had some good luck with Germans and that big kid might be a good piece in the future.

Who? We got like two good years of Ehrhoff. Marco Sturm sucked.