The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Protecting our stars (Poll)

vannuck59

Do we need to protect our Stars  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Maybe I am missing something. To those who say that we Canuck homers just don't see all the nasty things our players do to the opposition, I have a question. Who on the other teams have Canuck players recently knocked out of the game with concussions by blatantly dirty, unpenalized plays, as happened to our best  centre and our best left winger?

Recently?   There isn't a time limitation and these things come and go but having it penalized or not has more to do with what the refs see or don't see - how is that a discriminator?   Canucks have injured plenty of people in the past, penalized or not, and some of them some of the most infamous of all (e.g. Moore).    The play on EP was taken care of by the league.   The play on Baer was seemingly missed by both the league and the refs but it is hard in real time to see it as something awful - it sure looks bad in slow motion.   

Willes’ Musings: Elias Pettersson’s skill set is unique in today’s NHL – The Province

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/willes-musings-elias-petterssons-skill-set-is-unique-in-todays-nhl/amp

On a related note, in the last three weeks the Canucks have watched the Panthers’ Michael Matheson deliver a hit that knocked Pettersson out for six games, the Golden Knights’ Thomas Hyka knock Sven Baertschi out for five games and counting, the Blackhawks’ Brandon Manning knock Troy Stecher out of a game and the Avs’ Matt Calvert deliver a cross-check to Boeser’s back.

Not going to spend a lot of time on this one. If the Canucks aren’t concerned about the liberties being taken with their skilled players, they should be. Hockey has changed a lot in the last 25 years but it hasn’t changed that much.

6 hours ago, mll said:

3 hours ago, ABNucksfan said:

Willes’ Musings: Elias Pettersson’s skill set is unique in today’s NHL – The Province

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/willes-musings-elias-petterssons-skill-set-is-unique-in-todays-nhl/amp

On a related note, in the last three weeks the Canucks have watched the Panthers’ Michael Matheson deliver a hit that knocked Pettersson out for six games, the Golden Knights’ Thomas Hyka knock Sven Baertschi out for five games and counting, the Blackhawks’ Brandon Manning knock Troy Stecher out of a game and the Avs’ Matt Calvert deliver a cross-check to Boeser’s back.

Not going to spend a lot of time on this one. If the Canucks aren’t concerned about the liberties being taken with their skilled players, they should be. Hockey has changed a lot in the last 25 years but it hasn’t changed that much.

This "Pack Mentality" can start anytime now!  

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I hate to say it but Willes makes a good point. It would be nice to see Gudbranson, Archibald, Roussel, Virtanen and Schaller start setting a more intimidating tone on the ice. The soliders are there. They just need to be given the green light. 

no no, this is nonsense. this is the new NHL, intimidation is a thing of the past and actually doesn't work to deter dirty plays against anyone.  Everything is fine. Zepp and Stawns said so. 

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Recently?   There isn't a time limitation and these things come and go but having it penalized or not has more to do with what the refs see or don't see - how is that a discriminator?   Canucks have injured plenty of people in the past, penalized or not, and some of them some of the most infamous of all (e.g. Moore).    The play on EP was taken care of by the league.   The play on Baer was seemingly missed by both the league and the refs but it is hard in real time to see it as something awful - it sure looks bad in slow motion.   

Not much point in comparing current discipline with practices and incidents from decades past. The play on Baer was blatant and you are right - it certainly does look bad in slow motion. Too bad the league does not have access to slow motion videos. (sarcasm)

You seem to be missing the point; when blatant, injury-causing fouls are unpenalized and the league does not even bother conducting a disciplinary hearing, obviously it will create a sense of outrage among the fans. Especially when this mostly seems to go only one way. Comparing the Bertuzzi incident is a pretty weak response; did Bert not receive an on-ice penalty and about the longest suspension in league history for what he did? Hard to argue that he didn't get penalized for his actions.

I notice that while you responded to my post, you didn't answer the question. I'll try it again: Who on the other teams have Canuck players recently knocked out of the game with concussions by blatantly dirty, unpenalized plays, like the one on Baer? And to clarify, by recently, I mean since the advent of the current rules on headshots and the use of video reviews by the DPS, and by unpenalized, I mean with no on-ice penalty and no league discipline.

If you can come up with some, I will admit that I am just a homer, who doesn't see when a Canuck dodges a disciplinary bullet.

11 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Not much point in comparing current discipline with practices and incidents from decades past. The play on Baer was blatant and you are right - it certainly does look bad in slow motion. Too bad the league does not have access to slow motion videos. (sarcasm)

You seem to be missing the point; when blatant, injury-causing fouls are unpenalized and the league does not even bother conducting a disciplinary hearing, obviously it will create a sense of outrage among the fans. Especially when this mostly seems to go only one way. Comparing the Bertuzzi incident is a pretty weak response; did Bert not receive an on-ice penalty and about the longest suspension in league history for what he did? Hard to argue that he didn't get penalized for his actions.

I notice that while you responded to my post, you didn't answer the question. I'll try it again: Who on the other teams have Canuck players recently knocked out of the game with concussions by blatantly dirty, unpenalized plays, like the one on Baer? And to clarify, by recently, I mean since the advent of the current rules on headshots and the use of video reviews by the DPS, and by unpenalized, I mean with no on-ice penalty and no league discipline.

If you can come up with some, I will admit that I am just a homer, who doesn't see when a Canuck dodges a disciplinary bullet.

Well, how am I missing the point.   There was no penalty when EP was hit and it was a suspension.   There have been three suspensions this season across the NHL where no penalty call occurred during the game.   

Your question is silly.   There have been seven players play the Canucks and not play the next game so theoretically all seven were injured by the Canucks during play.   I didn't notice any of them but a lot of game occurs away from the camera.   As this seems so important to you, look it up (each injury) and see if you can find the correlation.   My point, which you seem to be missing, is there are no extra injuries happening to Vancouver from borderline hits than to any other team in the league.   Vancouver has had some exceptionally bad injury luck for the past few years but bench doors, pucks and so forth are not exactly sentient beings out for blood.   More Canucks have been injured by pucks than anything else the past three seasons.    As far as the "disciplinary bullet", Guddy was very close to a head shot in the very first game.   Roussel's hit from behind was not even a penalty.   So forth.   That is what you get to see from feeds - in the actual game, there are lots of little things you will never see but any one of those players who were injured could have been victim to some slash, hack, butt end and so forth.   Who knows and, to be honest, who cares as it is part of the game and it evens out (at least that is what I believe - I don't think you do).

52 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I hate to say it but Willes makes a good point. It would be nice to see Gudbranson, Archibald, Roussel, Virtanen and Schaller start setting a more intimidating tone on the ice. The soliders are there. They just need to be given the green light. 

In the off-season Benning was saying that they were brought in so that the skilled players could play in a safe environment.  Why would they hold them back now.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Well, how am I missing the point.   There was no penalty when EP was hit and it was a suspension.   There have been three suspensions this season across the NHL where no penalty call occurred during the game.   

Your question is silly.   There have been seven players play the Canucks and not play the next game so theoretically all seven were injured by the Canucks during play.   I didn't notice any of them but a lot of game occurs away from the camera.   As this seems so important to you, look it up (each injury) and see if you can find the correlation.   My point, which you seem to be missing, is there are no extra injuries happening to Vancouver from borderline hits than to any other team in the league.   Vancouver has had some exceptionally bad injury luck for the past few years but bench doors, pucks and so forth are not exactly sentient beings out for blood.   More Canucks have been injured by pucks than anything else the past three seasons.    As far as the "disciplinary bullet", Guddy was very close to a head shot in the very first game.   Roussel's hit from behind was not even a penalty.   So forth.   That is what you get to see from feeds - in the actual game, there are lots of little things you will never see but any one of those players who were injured could have been victim to some slash, hack, butt end and so forth.   Who knows and, to be honest, who cares as it is part of the game and it evens out (at least that is what I believe - I don't think you do).

It's a legitimate question. What you don't seem to understand is that fans aren't looking for dirty retribution, just a little push back. The only fights we've had were challenges from the opposition after hits. No one is looking for players to chase players for blood, which seems to be your idea of push back. But Matheson didn't get hit once after nor oleksiak, Calvert or manning. Not even a push or extra shove on the boards. 

If guddy, Archie, roussel or achalleehit one player after it would be different. 

12 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

It's a legitimate question. What you don't seem to understand is that fans aren't looking for dirty retribution, just a little push back. The only fights we've had were challenges from the opposition after hits. No one is looking for players to chase players for blood, which seems to be your idea of push back. But Matheson didn't get hit once after nor oleksiak, Calvert or manning. Not even a push or extra shove on the boards. 

If guddy, Archie, roussel or achalleehit one player after it would be different. 

You have not a clue if there was pushback or not.   You see what you see on TV and that is all.   Game is bigger than that.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Well, how am I missing the point.

I really don't know. How are you missing the point? "when blatant, injury-causing fouls are unpenalized and the league does not even bother conducting a disciplinary hearing, obviously it will create a sense of outrage among the fans" 

There was no penalty when EP was hit and it was a suspension.   There have been three suspensions this season across the NHL where no penalty call occurred during the game.   

Your question is silly.   There have been seven players play the Canucks and not play the next game so theoretically all seven were injured by the Canucks 

Do you have any evidence that they were injured by Canucks dirty play? 

during play.   I didn't notice any of them but a lot of game occurs away from the camera.   As this seems so important to you, look it up (each injury) and see if you can find the correlation.

In other words, no, you are not aware of any instances where a Canuck injured another player with a dirty play and suffered no consequences. 

My point, which you seem to be missing, is there are no extra injuries happening to Vancouver from borderline hits than to any other team in the league. 

Do you have any evidence of this at all? 

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:16 PM, Isam said:

People forget that even when we had geno out protecting pavel, the cheap shots didn't stop. 

Pavel loved Gino and vise versa. Pavel stuck up for himself a lot, but that was knowing Gino has his back. Maybe McKuen on Petterssons wing would work. McKuen without Pettersson isn't an Nhler and Pettersson without McKuen won't survive the NHL. Semenko scored a lot of goals on Gretsky's wing, but he also enabled Gretsky to accomplish what he did. NHL has changed, but cheap shots to Pettersson, Boeser and Motte show that the change is minimal. Been watching hockey for over fifty years. Canucks need

a spine! Gudbranson, Schaller, Roussel and Virtanen are a good start, but we are one tough talented player away from protecting our stars. A guy like Ferlund added to our team would allow our stars to play hockey knowing their backs are covered. 

Archived