Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Red Wings | November 6th, 4:30pm PT | Sportsnet Pacific

Roberts

Vancouver Canucks @ Detroit Red Wings  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will win the game?

• Vancouver Canucks
    • Detroit Red Wings
  2. 2. How many goals will the Vancouver Canucks score this game?

• 0 goals
    • 1-2 goals
    • 3-4 goals
    • 5-6 goals
    • 7+ goals
  3. 3. How many goals will the Detroit Red Wings score this game?

• 0 goals
    • 1-2 goals
    • 3-4 goals
    • 5-6 goals
    • 7+

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/07/2018 at 12:30 AM

Wonder what Gaunce needs to do to stay in the lineup?

2 GP, 3 points, 1 goal, 2 assists, +3, 58.3 FO%, 3 hits 

45.45% offensive zone starts

And he's maintaining his usual sparkling on-ice 5v5 differentials (fancy stats): 

60.71 Corsi for% (+12.49% relative), 52.63 Fenwick for% (+5.11% relative), 57.14 shots for% (+9.77% relative), 80.0 goals for% (+35.56% relative), 47.06 scoring chances for% (+1.85% relative), 60.0 high danger chances for% (+26.67% relative)

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

And he's maintaining his usual sparkling on-ice 5v5 differentials (fancy stats): 

60.71 Corsi for% (+12.49% relative), 52.63 Fenwick for% (+5.11% relative), 57.14 shots for% (+9.77% relative), 80.0 goals for% (+35.56% relative), 47.06 scoring chances for% (+1.85% relative), 60.0 high danger chances for% (+26.67% relative)

He's earned his way back in, and I was on the waive him train during the preseason. He's outplayed a good portion of the lineup. He won't maintain these offensive numbers but he's playing great, has been steady as she goes. Does the little things right. 

The one thing I noticed is Green seems to like lines with a theme. Offensive players together with other offensive players. I think that's why we never see Jake with Pettersson. Reason I bring this up is because when healthy, does the team keep him for the bottom 6 which has been primarily defensive lines? Roussel, Schaller, Granny and Jake, when this team is healthy, are our bottom 6 wingers. At the very least he should be a press box guy. He's proven to be a better option than Leipsic. I don't think this team will ever be 100% healthy, so I think it's safe to say Gaunce will be around for the foreseeable future and rightfully so. But if/when it comes down to waiving one or two of Motte, Gaunce or Leispic I'd say Gaunce should be last on the list. I have been really impressed with his play.

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

He's earned his way back in, and I was on the waive him train during the preseason. He's outplayed a good portion of the lineup. He won't maintain these offensive numbers but he's playing great, has been steady as she goes. Does the little things right. 

The one thing I noticed is Green seems to like lines with a theme. Offensive players together with other offensive players. I think that's why we never see Jake with Pettersson. Reason I bring this up is because when healthy, does the team keep him for the bottom 6 which has been primarily defensive lines? Roussel, Schaller, Granny and Jake, when this team is healthy, are our bottom 6 wingers. At the very least he should be a press box guy. He's proven to be a better option than Leipsic. I don't think this team will ever be 100% healthy, so I think it's safe to say Gaunce will be around for the foreseeable future and rightfully so. But if/when it comes down to waiving one or two of Motte, Gaunce or Leispic I'd say Gaunce should be last on the list. I have been really impressed with his play.

I'd rather see Gaunce get playing time over the likes of Leipsic

16 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

good couple of games, so I would imagine a bit more consistency? 

17 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m surprised by this as well that he had another strong game on Friday and like the stats you posted up above “should” be enough to keep him in the lineup at least until the team loses and needs to switch it up. Very strange to take him out  during a three game winning streak and 3 points in two games while being an effective player for us. I’m not the biggest Gaunce fan, but I am puzzled by this move as he’s been great since his callup.

6BE98DA3-D608-4497-8E0F-113EA5A6398D.jpeg

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

100% agree. It was really nice to see he didn't become a sour puss over his demotion to the AHL and decided to keep working hard. Definitely the kind of guy you want around. 

This game might be one of Leipsic's last "show me" games.  As the team gets healthy again, they'll have to demote someone.  Leipsic could very well be on the chopping block if he can't step up his game.

I agree though that Gaunce has played well enough to stay in the line-up.  Unfortunately for Gaunce, he doesn't have to pass through waivers for another few weeks so he's much more likely to be demoted until management can decide what to do with Leipsic.  I'm sure management would prefer to trade Leipsic than to waive him.

Omg frrack’n Liepsic ! Wonder how many times this guy slips & falls tonight ? I’m call’n 4times . If we lose tonight it’ll be cause of a liepsic fall & giveaway . I’m not a huge Gaunce fan but he’s showed some game since he’s been up . Why does this team always have a go to weak link , Megna , Chaput now liepsic. 

14 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

This game might be one of Leipsic's last "show me" games.  As the team gets healthy again, they'll have to demote someone.  Leipsic could very well be on the chopping block if he can't step up his game.

I agree though that Gaunce has played well enough to stay in the line-up.  Unfortunately for Gaunce, he doesn't have to pass through waivers for another few weeks so he's much more likely to be demoted until management can decide what to do with Leipsic.  I'm sure management would prefer to trade Leipsic than to waive him.

I imagine management doesn't particularly care about potentially losing Leispsic on waivers. For one he's done nothing to prove he even belongs in the NHL. Can't produce with mega star Pettersson? Why would a team believe they could with their team? 

44 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

They've moved on.  They don't want to waste the years of Petterssson and Boeser and want to compete as early as possible.  McKenzie was saying that they are aware that other teams are moving to 3 scoring lines and 1 hard to play against line.  There's no reason to invest further in Gaunce when they already have experienced players for that 4th line. 

24 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Better foot speed is my first thought

Maybe. I actually don't find Gaunce's skating to be much of an issue any more when I watch him. Seems more than able to get to the spots he needs to. And actually can have a fair amount of jump at times. He doesn't buzz around like a few of our more "speedy" guys, but he also doesn't seem to fall down as much, or get caught up ice, end up chasing, or out of position and missing assignments (not naming any names here ;)). 

16 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I think you're probably right that it's more about the lines Green wants to utilize in his matchups and game planning, than simply Gaunce being a worse individual option than some of the guys slotting into the lineup ahead of him.

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd rather see Gaunce get playing time over the likes of Leipsic

Me too. Although I do want to see Leipsic getting this opportunity. Just wish one didn't have to come at the expense of the other.

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

good couple of games, so I would imagine a bit more consistency? 

Hard to be consistent when you don't get to play. I'd rather have seen Green give Gaunce the chance to stay on the roll and see how far he can take it. Let his play determine whether or not he sits. And I can't really support the idea that Gaunce's showings the last two games warrant him getting scratched over some of the other forwards. But as I said above, it's probably more about the team than the individual, and Green putting together the lines that he feels will work best for his overall game plan.

11 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

I’m surprised by this as well that he had another strong game on Friday and like the stats you posted up above “should” be enough to keep him in the lineup at least until the team loses and needs to switch it up. Very strange to take him out  during a three game winning streak and 3 points in two games while being an effective player for us. I’m not the biggest Gaunce fan, but I am puzzled by this move as he’s been great since his callup.

6BE98DA3-D608-4497-8E0F-113EA5A6398D.jpeg

Hopefully he gets another chance to play and make a case that he deserves to stay with the big club. I don't think you can argue with his results over the two games he's played. I think he's earned at least another game, and hopefully he rotates back in sooner rather than later (and certainly he should play again before he's sent back down to Utica).

Archived