The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Drafting Positional Need

Well, I think it is clear to everyone that Pettersson can play center...……...so we do not necessarily need another center

So what is our most pressing need to build our franchise via the 2019 draft...…...

Now I ask you because Pettersson has changed things here a little, and as I watch the draft rankings (an interest of mine), I have pondered, that if in our draft position we could have what ever we wanted, what would it be? RHD, LW, RW, LHD ? (Not Who)……...What would you pick, all things being equal?

Edited...…...Wednesday  Morning

Ok guys....maybe I didn't make this clear enough...………..so you have 6 players all in different positions (G, LHD, RHD, LW, C, RW) all equal in skill and ranking, and it is a very subjective pick...………...what position would you pick to fill our organizational need. This is a 10 to 15 OA pick.

I used to be a proponent of drafting for positional needs.

Then we drafted Boeser when I wanted a defenseman.

Then we drafted Pettersson when I wanted a defenseman.

I learned that BPA is always the best.

BPA seldom refers to one specific player. At the very top of the draft, this might be true, but if we are picking after #10 or #15, BPA will refer to a small 'layer' of players. They are considered equal and at this point, picking by 'need' becomes relevant. We probably need RHD most.

Archived