The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Huawei CFO arrested.

Violator

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think majority of reasonable people can separate government and peoples when they blame China. Anyone who doesn't is a simpleton. 

True. The people are never fully representative of their government no matter the country.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

True. The people are never fully representative of their government no matter the country.

Personally when I saw blame china I mean there leaders and at the same time I say I feel for their peoples. I presume most people share that sentiment. Like I said though simpletons exists.

Either way this argument takes us away from the actual problem which is their leadership. I would rather stop seeing this argument and maintaining focus. If idiots decide to flame the people both right and left wingers should call them out.

• 3 weeks later...

PM Trudeau 'very disappointed' over China charging two Canadians

Published Friday, June 19, 2020 1:32AM EDT Last Updated Friday, June 19, 2020 12:56PM EDT

BEIJING -- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada is "very disappointed" that China charged two Canadians who have been detained in China for 18 months.

Chinese prosecutors said Friday that Michael Kovrig was charged in Beijing on suspicion of spying for state secrets and intelligence.

Michael Spavor was charged in Dandong city near the North Korean border on suspicion of spying for a foreign entity and illegally providing state secrets.

Both men have been held since December 2018 in a move seen as an apparent attempt to pressure Canada to release Meng Wanzhou, a top executive at Chinese tech giant Huawei.

The charges were announced Friday by China's highest prosecutor's office in brief social media posts.

In his daily media appearance Friday morning, Trudeau said Canada is offering all its support to both the men and their families and continues to object to their detention. Canada has insisted from the beginning the arrests of Spavor and Kovrig were "arbitrary" in retaliation for Meng's arrest.

He said Canada is doing everything it can both privately and publicly to put pressure on China to release the two men, who he says are being "held for no other reason than the Chinese government is disappointed in the independent proceedings of the Canadian judiciary."

Trudeau, who was speaking in Chelsea, Que., near Ottawa, said Meng's case is proceeding without political interference.

Asked what evidence China had against Spavor and Kovrig, Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said only that each is charged with "secretly gathering state secrets for overseas forces with particularly serious consequences."

China has denied any explicit link between her case and the lengthy detention of the two Canadian men, but outside experts see them as tied and Chinese diplomats have strongly implied a connection.

More in the link  https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/pm-trudeau-very-disappointed-over-china-charging-two-canadians-1.4991056

China believed to be behind major cyber attack on Australian governments and businesses

Federal Government agencies believe that China is the nation behind ongoing cyber attacks on Australian institutions, including hospitals and state-owned utilities, in recent months.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said Australian organisations, including governments and businesses, were currently being targeted by a sophisticated foreign "state-based" hacker.

While Mr Morrison said the Government would not take the formal step of publicly naming which state, senior sources confirmed China is believed to be behind the malicious attacks.

The Prime Minister emphasised the attacks "hadn't just started", were ongoing and constant threats to Australia, and said the accumulation of attacks required a firm warning to the government and private sectors to harden their shields.

Some of the attacks have been on state government departments and agencies and local governments, all of which hold sensitive economic and personal data.

"This activity is targeting Australian organisations across a range of sectors, including all levels of government, industry, political organisations, education, health, essential service providers and operators of other critical infrastructure," Mr Morrison said.

"We know it is a sophisticated state-based cyber actor because of the scale and nature of the targeting and the tradecraft used."

Mr Morrison said, so far, it did not appear there had been any "large-scale" breaches of people's personal information, but described the attacks as "malicious".

"This is why we are raising this matter today," he said.

"To raise awareness of this important issue, to encourage organisations, particularly those in health, critical infrastructure and essential services, to take expert advice and implement technical defences to thwart this malicious cyber activity."

Federal Labor Leader Anthony Albanese said he received a full briefing on the ongoing attacks and the work being done by intelligence agencies.

"There is no difference between the Government and Opposition on these issues, none," he said.

Mr Albanese said there had "clearly been an increase" in the number of attacks, which in turn prompted the Prime Minister to issue the warning to Australian businesses and organisations this morning.

Feel very badly for these 2 Canadians. China getting a little too bold these days. You can add onto that the attack on unarmed Indian soldiers where at least 23 Indian soldiers were attacked with rebar with nails welded to it and murdered. Some bodies mangled so badly they had trouble identifying them.

Edited by nuckin_futz

• 1 month later...

Another Canadian citizen sentenced to death in China:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/china-sentences-3rd-canadian-to-death-on-drug-charges/ar-BB17DpMs?li=AAggNb9

China has sentenced a third Canadian citizen to death on drug charges amid a steep decline in relations between the two countries.

The Guangzhou Municipal Intermediate Court announced Xu Weihong’s penalty on Thursday and said an alleged accomplice, Wen Guanxiong, had been given a life sentence.

Death sentences are automatically referred to China’s highest court for review.

The brief court statement gave no details but local media in the southern Chinese city at the heart of the country’s manufacturing industry said Xu and Wen had gathered ingredients and tools and began making the drug ketamine in October 2016, then stored the final product in Xu’s home in Guangzhou’s Haizhu district.

Police later confiscated more than 120 kilograms (266 pounds) of the drug from Xu's home and another address, the reports said. Ketamine is a powerful pain killer that has become popular among club goers in China and elsewhere.

Relations between China and Canada soured over the arrest of Meng Wanzhou, an executive and the daughter of the founder of Chinese tech giant Huawei, at Vancouver’s airport in late 2018. The U.S. wants her extradited to face fraud charges over the company's dealings with Iran. Her arrest infuriated Beijing, which sees her case as a political move designed to prevent China’s rise as a global technology power.

In apparent retaliation, China detained former Canadian diplomat Michael Kovrig and Canadian entrepreneur Michael Spavor, accusing them of vague national security crimes.

Soon after, China handed a death sentence to convicted Canadian drug smuggler Robert Schellenberg in a sudden retrial, and in April 2019, gave the death penalty to a Canadian citizen identified as Fan Wei in a multinational drug smuggling case.

It could very well be that these three are guilty of the crimes they're accused of, but in light of the situation with the two Michaels, my advice to any Canadian currently in the PRC, would be to GTFO....

9 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/china-sentences-3rd-canadian-to-death-on-drug-charges/ar-BB17DpMs?li=AAggNb9

It could very well be that these three are guilty of the crimes they're accused of, but in light of the situation with the two Michaels, my advice to any Canadian currently in the PRC, would be to GTFO....

IMO countries like China, USA, Australia, and other hardline police/militaristic countries should only be visited for vacation and never lived in for more than 6 months. 

People who complain about the government/police brutality in Canada don't know what it is like in other countries. 

We have it pretty good here. 

13 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Over exaggerated much. Case in point, don't do stupid things and no one will bat an eye. They are not pulling people off the streets. These people definitely did something illicit or dumb that caught Xi's eye. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Over exaggerated much. Case in point, don't do stupid things and no one will bat an eye. They are not pulling people off the streets. These people definitely did something illicit or dumb that caught Xi's eye. 

Exactly, don't go do crap in countries that you know have very meh human rights and don't give 2 craps what the rest of the world thinks.  If you're going to run drugs in countries like China, Russia, etc. theres going to be consequences and it aint going to be a slap on the wrist like Canada does. 

8 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Sure, but also with relationship between China and Canada being tense, there is a message for Canada as well in these sentences.

• Thanks 2

Hopefully my buddy living in Guangzhou doesn't get caught up in any of this political detention crap.... he has been living there for like 10 years... I keep telling him to come back but he says the money he is making is too good with the lifestyle he only works like 4 hours a day. plus white people are basically celebrities with the women over there so there's that. 

23 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Hopefully my buddy living in Guangzhou doesn't get caught up in any of this political detention crap.... he has been living there for like 10 years... I keep telling him to come back but he says the money he is making is too good with the lifestyle he only works like 4 hours a day. plus white people are basically celebrities with the women over there so there's that. 

I lived in Guangzhou before and that city would put any NA city to shame. Once again as long as you don't do dumb or illegal things, keep quiet about internal politics, and is a nobody, life is very good in the large costal cities when you have a good paying job. 

No sales or income tax (company takes care of that like some countries in Europe) doesn't hurt either.

Yeah i know that is a lot if asterisks there.  

Edited by 24K PureCool

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

I lived in Guangzhou before and that city would put any NA city to shame. Once again as long as you don't do dumb or illegal things, keep quiet about internal politics, and is a nobody, life is very good in the large costal cities when you have a good paying job. 

Yeah i know that is a lot if asterisks there.  

Yeah I have been there twice the population is ridiculous. It's a fun city. The air quality sure leaves something to be desired though that was the biggest difference for me coming back to Canada was being able to breath clean air and not be all sweaty from the humidity all the time.

Here is a video from my time there. kind of ruining my anonymity here but oh well. gives me goosebumps thinking i was this stupid to bungee jump in China 10 years ago.

Edited by Chicken.
  • Cheers 3

10 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

And what did the two Michaels do, other than being Canadian, shortly after Meng was arrested?

Edited by RUPERTKBD

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Advice for general civilians not government officials or business leaders. They'll always have a target on their backs.

Yeah, time to stop associating with countries that act in that manner. Canadians should stop supporting China in every way possible. Same for a few other countries too. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

image.png.437916c50d07bcaf4f875b70088fee93.png

The nightlife looks like it'd be amazing there.  Working 4 hours a day sounds amazing.

51 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

And what did the two Michaels do, other than being Canadian, shortly after Meng was arrested?

For being a somebody that is Canadian. If you are someone with connections with a foreign (non-chinese) government then yeah get the heck out.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

For being a somebody that is Canadian. If you are someone with connections with a foreign (non-chinese) government then yeah get the heck out.

I'm glad to hear that the average person has nothing to worry about, but TBH, I personally would not risk it....

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The Garratts say hi.

:picard:

They once taught in a national defense college in China, that is a huge target on their back and make them a somebody. Spreading Christianity is also a big no no and will get you targeted. 

Point is, keep to yourself and you will be fine. 

My personal opinion is it's time Canada release Meng Wanzhou. I realize we have an extradition treaty with USA that we should honor. However Canada does not and should not back political prosecutions.

This is clearly a political prosecution. Trump even said as much when he said he'd be willing to use Meng Wanzhou's freedom as a bargaining chip in his trade negotiations with China. How much clearer does it need to be said than that?

It's put Canadian citizens at risk (the 2 Michaels) as well as straining relations between the 2 countries. What are we getting out of this? Apart from more aluminum tariffs?

Edited by nuckin_futz

28 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

My personal opinion is it's time Canada release Meng Wanzhou. I realize we have an extradition treaty with USA that we should honor. However Canada does not and should not back political prosecutions.

This is clearly a political prosecution. Trump even said as much when he said he'd be willing to use Meng Wanzhou's freedom as a bargaining chip in his trade negotiations with China. How much clearer does it need to be said than that?

It's put Canadian citizens at risk (the 2 Michaels) as well as straining relations between the 2 countries. What are we getting out of this? Apart from more aluminum tariffs?

I kind of agree.

Trudeau would have to walk back his comments pretty hard though. he didn't leave much room for interpretation

A group of 19 high-profile Canadians, including former foreign affairs ministers Lloyd Axworthy and Lawrence Cannon, penned a letter to Trudeau this week saying Justice Minister David Lametti should intervene to free Meng.

They said Meng's release would give Canada the chance to "redefine its strategic approach to China."

"There is no question that the U.S. extradition request has put Canada in a difficult position. As prime minister, you face a difficult decision. Complying with the U.S. request has greatly antagonized China," the letter says. CBC News obtained the letter Wednesday.

The letter writers said Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig are likely to languish in Chinese prison until Meng's extradition case is settled. The two Canadians who were detained in China shortly after Meng was detained in Vancouver in 2018.

Trudeau was definitive that Canada would not bow to Beijing to secure the freedom of these two men.

"I respect these distinguished Canadians who put forward that letter but I deeply disagree with them," Trudeau told reporters Thursday. "They're wrong in their approach."

Trudeau said he is sympathetic to the plight of Spavor and Kovrig — he called it a "terrible and trying situation" — but he said Canada can't let China get away with this sort of hostage diplomacy.

He said countries shouldn't be allowed to snatch Canadians to get what they want from Ottawa.

"The reality is releasing Meng Wanzhou to resolve a short-term problem would endanger thousands of Canadians who travel to China and around the world by letting countries know that a government can have political influence over Canada by randomly arresting Canadians," Trudeau said.

Trudeau said his government is firmly committed to the rule of law and Meng's case will be handled by our justice system.

"We need to continue to be absolutely crystal clear that Canada has an independent judiciary and those processes will unfold independently of any political pressure, including by foreign governments," Trudeau said. "We deplore what China did."