The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Dominance Continues?

Canada has always been blessed with the most dominate players throughout history

Orr, Lafleur, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid

As far as Countries go

Do you see other Countries producing more elite talent?

Wonder if people think that will end soon in near future as producing the most top end  and Canadas hope of finishing competitions on top ?

Off the top of my head only counting League dominate players under 25

For next few tourneys Canada would be McDavid, Mackinnon, ( Although very good players like Schiefele, Gaudreau, Huberdeau.Johansen (maybe even Mackinnon) are elite but not the same)

USA has Eichel, Matthews, (Hughes, Hughes most likely -Though unproven in the NHL) maybe Jones (Werenski)

Sweden EP40,Forsberg, Ekblad (Ehlers)

Is there Dominate Defencemen like Doughty to replace?

Goalie?

Do You believe we will see the USA develop the best players in the League consistently soon?

The College route and Team USA program as better than the Canadian system?

As much as I want to believe Canadians are far and away the best and have the most talent, the rest of the world is slowly catching up. Some say already caught up. The Americans have produced a ton of good players, same with Sweden, Russia and Finland, obviously. 

Canada - McDavid, Crosby

USA - Matthews, Gaudreau

Sweden - Pettersson, Landeskog

Finland -  Laine, Koivu

Russia - Ovechkin, Malkin

28 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

As much as I want to believe Canadians are far and away the best and have the most talent, the rest of the world is slowly catching up. Some say already caught up. The Americans have produced a ton of good players, same with Sweden, Russia and Finland, obviously. 

Canada - McDavid, Crosby

USA - Matthews, Gaudreau

Sweden - Pettersson, Landeskog

Finland -  Laine, Koivu

Russia - Ovechkin, Malkin

Koivu...really? I mean he's a  good player but Mikko Rantanen says "Hi"...

2 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Koivu...really? I mean he's a  good player but Mikko Rantanen says "Hi"...

I'm sure there are better Fins than Koivu in the league, and yes, Rantanen is a better player. At least I didn't say Markus Granlund lol   

Russian has always produced fabulous hockey players.  Remember '72.  Wasn't it Bobby Clarke who said Kharlamov (sp?) was the best player, and he needed to do what ever it took (a dirty play) to stop him?  That '72 team was stacked with great players.  The guys who came over in the 80s and early 90s were great too.  Federov, Mogilny, Bure, Larionov, Makarov, Fetisov.  The list of great Russian players is a very long one.  

Over the next 10 years, I think Canada's accounting for the top 10-15 players in the league will decline. However, when it comes to depth of talent, I think it will take another 20 years for the United States to catch up. Just look at the inability of the US to ice a full roster of NHL players at the WHC. Canada, in contrast, could send three elite teams to a tournament that doesn't even include its best player. You could create a top 3/top 6 forward group for the United States that would resemble the top 3/top 6 forward group for Canada, but when you get down to that 4th line, Canada's bottom trio is going to be closer to resembling the first line of the US than the fourth line of the US. 

2 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Canada has always been blessed with the most dominate players throughout history

Orr, Lafleur, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid

As far as Countries go

Do you see other Countries producing more elite talent?

Wonder if people think that will end soon in near future as producing the most top end  and Canadas hope of finishing competitions on top ?

Off the top of my head only counting League dominate players under 25

For next few tourneys Canada would be McDavid, Mackinnon, ( Although very good players like Schiefele, Gaudreau, Huberdeau.Johansen (maybe even Mackinnon) are elite but not the same)

USA has Eichel, Matthews, (Hughes, Hughes most likely -Though unproven in the NHL) maybe Jones (Werenski)

Sweden EP40,Forsberg, Ekblad (Ehlers)

Is there Dominate Defencemen like Doughty to replace?

Goalie?

Do You believe we will see the USA develop the best players in the League consistently soon?

The College route and Team USA program as better than the Canadian system?

Ekblad is Canadian.

Ehlers is Danish.

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

More p*ssed off that the yanks have rigged the deck, & there's been a quarter C where no Cdn city could celebrate a Stanley Cup

Absolute BS

Rigged? It's a numbers game. You're comparing a 330 million market vs 37 million market. 

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Over the next 10 years, I think Canada's accounting for the top 10-15 players in the league will decline. However, when it comes to depth of talent, I think it will take another 20 years for the United States to catch up. Just look at the inability of the US to ice a full roster of NHL players at the WHC. Canada, in contrast, could send three elite teams to a tournament that doesn't even include its best player. You could create a top 3/top 6 forward group for the United States that would resemble the top 3/top 6 forward group for Canada, but when you get down to that 4th line, Canada's bottom trio is going to be closer to resembling the first line of the US than the fourth line of the US. 

World junior is not always a true reflection, as many of the elIte junior will be in the NHL and not in the Tourney

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Russian has always produced fabulous hockey players.  Remember '72.  Wasn't it Bobby Clarke who said Kharlamov (sp?) was the best player, and he needed to do what ever it took (a dirty play) to stop him?  That '72 team was stacked with great players.  The guys who came over in the 80s and early 90s were great too.  Federov, Mogilny, Bure, Larionov, Makarov, Fetisov.  The list of great Russian players is a very long one.  

Konstantinov too.  The guy was an absolute beast before the tragic accident.

Archived