The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 09, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

mcdavid missed 30 games i think that year, but still mazing pace

Pettersson isn't on McDavid's level. Yet.

He's still blowing Matthews rookie and sophomore campaigns out of the water though, and Make Beleaf fans genuinely try to argue that Matthews is better than McDavid.

4 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

I don't think we can hold on like that very often but if there's one team to do it against,  I'm glad it was the Flames 

Yeah it was definitely 'Miracle on Ice' tier but I'm just so glad they pulled it off. With all the good efforts lately without the 'W' to show for it I'm glad we finally stole one.

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"We talked to our group and said let's just hem them in our own zone for the second period and tire them out, and that's exactly what we did. We were in trouble in the second. Just couldn't make a pass to get out of our zone. But we hung in there. Marky kept us in it. Obviously some big kills in the third period, but sometimes the Hockey Gods pay you back. Tonight was one of those nights. A good win." - Green

you gotta work with the canucks media or other one, your too quick lol

3 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Pettersson isn't on McDavid's level. Yet.

He's still blowing Matthews rookie and sophomore campaigns out of the water though, and Make Beleaf fans genuinely try to argue that Matthews is better than McDavid.

The Laffs should trade Matthews to Arizona for OEL, Keller, and a 1st.  And sign the far superior complete player Marner to a long term mega deal.

25 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Thanks Marky! We needed that. Boys played pretty well except the 2nd period.

Defensively we are giving up way too many chances by self inflicted turnovers; much courtesy of Guddy and Pooalot. I like the energy that Bulldog brings but it’s clear the guy is not a NHL regular. Luckily it should improve with Eagle’s return and with Quinn Hughes(maybe this year) and Olli Juolevi coming next year,

The PP is costing us so many goals and chances. Newell Brown needs to GTFO; what he is doing is clearly not working. It’s like he thinks we still have Salo, Kesler and the Sedins and his style fit them but clearly not our new team.

Petey carries this team’s offense. And Brock compliments him. They are a fun duo to watch. They are reportedly really close off the ice and it seems to translate on the ice too.

Time to celebrate with some wine! 

People realize that Newell Brown doesn't actually play for the Canucks, right,?

I'm sorry but Tanev is just not OT material, especially after all the hard minutes he's just played. And he is not quick on the puck any more. Some nights he looks almost, dare I say, average.  All you need is one D, if any (when 200 foot Pettersson is out there). You have Stecher and Hutton to rotate. Speed kills, especially with all that space. I'd like to see what an all offense combo like Pettersson, Boeser, and Leivo would look like.  A traditional defense is not needed in OT.  Its mostly bounces and stick checks that decide possession, and keeping up with the play without the puck is important.

1 minute ago, CptCanuck16 said:

A bit of a nail biter though. Calgary was really taking it to 'em.

CAL takes it to pretty much any team these days so that's really nothing new. We took it to ourselves a lot with all those turnovers too.

Its so exciting to see a young team hang on and win. Knowing they are going to get better, than watch an aging team hang on and win knowing its not going to get better. Won't be long until this team is back on top! Just need to learn the little things in tight games ,like clearing the zone! Or on the power play the cute no look passes in tight!

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

People realize that Newell Brown doesn't actually play for the Canucks, right,?

When a powerplay stands still all season long....you have to think there is some coaching involved there....  Also zone entry is coaching big time. 

Archived