The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 09, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

Some thoughts about the game:

-  Nothing more needs to be said about Marky... he was the difference.

-  Good games from both Bo and Boes... Boes was particularly good... all over the puck tonight... tons of chances... nice to see him get his goal as a real scorer's goal... he needs to get back to that level of shooting to be really successful.

-  Stecher just won the PP Quarterback competition for D's.... he was calm and collected on the blue line, handled the puck well... made some great passes.  He also played well in even strength situations.  In many ways he is an ideal guy to cover Johnny Gaudreau because he is quick on his skates, turns well and has decent acceleration.

-  Good game for Leivo... continues to show a sniper's skill... he is scoring when maybe he shouldn't... he was also showing a good forecheck and physical play.

-  Bullsh*t penalty on Virtanen for checking Gaudreau... all he did was push him... wasn't a cross check.

-  Pettersson continues to show us the subtleties of his game... some excellent defensive plays... some perfectly timed passes, and a great finish in the shootout.

Overall Canucks didn't really deserve to win... but the game showed when you have excellent goaltending and a couple star players, you can win no matter how badly you are outshot.

10 minutes ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

Virtanen has good speed but not very tactical,reminds me too much of Mason Raymond,lol.

Oh yeah he does actually. Ive never made the comparison before but he is just like Raymond. Lots of speed but no scoring touch.. I think Virt plays his best when he is physically involved. We need guys who can throw hits especially if we make the playoffs. Right now we've got Guddy and Rousell, but that's about it. I think even Petey is noticing our lack of physical play and he is trying to help out as best he can. Did you catch it when he laid out James Neal in the corner late in the 3rd?

18 minutes ago, xereau said:

Hitch should have known better.  I think once he got a whiff of the stench in that locker room he knew he made a mistake.  But he swallowed his pride, and half of Edmonton with it, and is still going.  All fat jokes aside, he should have known better.  SOMETHING IS ROTTEN IN EDMONTON.

edmonton (notice the lower case) is like the Euro team that should have been relegated to the second tier.

We didn't deserve to win this... But we've lost plenty of games this year that we did deserve to win. 

Gotta thank Marky for this one and prepare better from here on in. That second period needs to be a major learning experience. 

5 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Oh yeah he does actually. Ive never made the comparison before but he is just like Raymond. Lots of speed but no scoring touch.. I think Virt plays his best when he is physically involved. We need guys who can throw hits especially if we make the playoffs. Right now we've got Guddy and Rousell, but that's about it. I think even Petey is noticing our lack of physical play and he is trying to help out as best he can. Did you catch it when he laid out James Neal in the corner late in the 3rd?

Wrong.... Jake has an excellent shot.  He scores a lot of goals from positions where most players don't do anything.

Where he is lacking is in not being willing to go to the net and get the dirty goals.   He has the size and hands to do that, but seems to be afraid to get his nose in there.

Archived