The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Dallas Stars, March 17, 2019, 4 PM

KyoNami

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Not sure.  Feels more like he is treating each players individually based on what he thinks is best to get them to reach their maximum potential.  

You don't treat a bottom-6 guy the same way you treat someone who has the potential to be a top-6.  The bottom-6 might be playing ahead but it doesn't mean he earned it on merit.  You can't ask more from a bottom-6 because he might already be at his limit but you can ask more from someone with top-6 potential.

Leivo is 0.4 ppg playing with either Horvat or Pettersson and on PP1.  He ranks 260th in P60 among Fs with minimum 35 games - he's not productive for the offensive minutes he is getting.  

Not sure he has much more patience with Goldobin though. 

One thing I think Leivo does bring is both puck retrieval and net front presence skills. Though I fully agree he does need to produce a bit more to make this role a permanent one for him. 

Goldy needs the best summer of his life.. And come back to battle for a spot next September.

I doubt he will get the same kind of benefit of doubt at the start of this season tho. 

And he will be on a shorter leash. 

He has made improvements but I really hope he made that step earlier in his career. I wish he played with same level of urgency earlier in his career. 

His progress obviously isn't enough to guarantee him a top 6 spot next season.

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Eriksson can play the PK and defense with only 5 less points than Goldobin. While Goldobin has played well the last few games he offers little else to the team when he is not scoring. 

If you're going to be that vacant defensively you better be scoring consistently. 

You seem to be confused a lot. Are you sure you're capable to analyze Greens decisions? 

:bigblush:

Gamenight.....stars battling for playoffs and nucks tanking like theres no tomorrow. Hope to see theres some nifty moves from the EP40 line and his stick. Hope to see some chemistry and better passing then in last game. And that EP40 creates some magic like he did in the shootout. 

10 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Goldy needs the best summer of his life.. And come back to battle for a spot next September.

I doubt he will get the same kind of benefit of doubt at the start of this season tho. 

And he will be on a shorter leash. 

He has made improvements but I really hope he made that step earlier in his career. I wish he played with same level of urgency earlier in his career. 

His progress obviously isn't enough to guarantee him a top 6 spot next season.

I am not a scout. Nor do I have any insider information.  But just from me, sitting here watching this team every single game, Goldobin appears to have turned the corner.  He is playing a complete game since his last benching.  Boardwork. Backcheck. Forecheck.  The kid is an absolute beast waiting to emerge, I can kind of feel it coming.

3 minutes ago, xereau said:

I am not a scout. Nor do I have any insider information.  But just from me, sitting here watching this team every single game, Goldobin appears to have turned the corner.  He is playing a complete game since his last benching.  Boardwork. Backcheck. Forecheck.  The kid is an absolute beast waiting to emerge, I can kind of feel it coming.

I still say the tough love Green has given him is because they see a future for him here. If they didn't I think they just ride out the year and nothing much said or done about him. 

4 minutes ago, xereau said:

I agree, I was at the last game against NJ and noticed a significant improvement in backchecking, there was even an instance where he dropped down and blocked a good scoring chance. He was quite noticeable at both ends of the ice imo. Eriksson on the other hand, was the literal definition of:

coasters_table-min.jpg

2 hours ago, TU90 said:

But does Biega bring any positives to the game? 

If Goldy is going to be a liability defensively, he needs to score more than 4 points in 23 games playing with our best players.

What???? He's been our best 2 way defenseman since the Edler injury like 10 to 12 games ago. 

Sure he makes mistakes defensively from time to time but so does everybody else. If no one ever made mistakes every NHL game played would go to a shootout tied 0-0. It's a dynamic game full of decisions that need to be made in an instant. Sometimes the right choice is made, sometimes not. 

What Biega brings to the table is a defenseman who knows when to pinch but is also responsible enough to get back when the puck starts back the other way, a D who can get point shots through to the net, and a D who can actually carry the puck well enough to gain entry into the O zone.  Honestly I hope this is his big break and he becomes a full time 3rd pairing next season.

I can see a spot for Goldy on the roster next year. Not so much for Schaller, Eriksson, Granlund or Spooner. Hoping after a good summer that Baer can safely return to form. Need to play Goldy as much as possible down the stretch. 1st PP unit and with Pettersson to get his offensive tools to the forefront and see if he can be offensively minded and play decent defensively. Next year I want to see a major shakeup. Unless we get an NHL ready forward from the draft Id like to see something like this.

Goldy-Pettersson-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Pearson

Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Myers

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

Green makes perfect sense. This isn’t a league that gives gold stars and blue ribbons for trying your best, this is a league that requires players to get things done to consolidate themselves.

A top-6 forward in today’s high-scoring NHL constitutes being a reliable and consistent producer. Same reason Green has kept Virtanen in the bottom-6. 

Green is managing a team based on merit, not draft pedigree or names (bye Guddy). I like what I see.  

That sure explains his decision to play Eriksson on the first line.  

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

Yup, Green is moving players around so they cannot build a chemistry. He leaves Marky almost alone and out to dry... Why? Did Green hope that Marky would fold and surrender to the pressure? 

Green does a lot that doesn't make sens if not he is tanking and/or have players he want to favourize. 

I think Green is still on the NYI payroll and is secretly sabotaging the Canucks. I heard this theory in a bar the other day and it makes total sense.

Archived