The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Canucks shouldn't make the playoffs (not about draft)

Boest-er

Hello CDC, long time reader rare poster. (also sorry I'm a terrible writer just wanted to post my thoughts out there)

I just felt like I needed to express something given our current situation of people wanting to make the playoffs and people who don't.

IMHO The Canucks shouldn't make the playoffs for one reason: They aren't tough enough/ don't stand up for each other,

Our team throughout this season has been getting hurt badly on the injury front with some players leaving due to cheap shots from other teams(where even the league didn't suspend them). Now if we make the playoffs I believe when the whistles are put away we are going to get hurt quite badly, and I don't want to see any of our young players getting injured and becoming scared of doing any risky maneuvers ever again(ala rushing the net). 

It could, in all honesty, help the team, by giving them a little glimpse into what they have to do in a playoff environment in order to survive, however, I don't think this experience is worth it compared to if some of our players are injured. 

TL;DR

team is too soft ATM, might get hurt badly when whistles are put away thus playoffs may end up hurting us in more ways than one.

Thanks for reading!

I still think it's more worth the experience, even if they get pummeled, for two reasons:

1) It shows even more to management that we need some more toughness; and,

2) It shows our team that we need to train as hard as possible in the off season and get stronger.

There are other reasons why I think it's better, but this thread is about what it's about. 

Start playing farm and recently signed youth  players who have future potential and will gain experience for next season and maybe one player who just deserves a few games for all the hard work they put in with the young talent  down in Utica giving some rest to a few Canucks who played a long hard season. It helps grow for the future and keeps the team healthy heading Into next year. We don’t need playoff experience we need a healthy team. As our young players start to learn how to grind out a season winning and with out getting injured we will be better suited for playoff hockey. If we somehow keep winning games oh well ?! That’s good either way. 

This organization completley dropped the ball by not adding a Chris Neal type forward to patrol for the Sedins when needed at the height of that great team a decade ago.

And now with Pettersson and Boeser ( who will carry the bulk of the scoring in the future for us ) who will he have to make sure no liberties are taken with them like the insulting actions the Sedins absorbed?

Ferland comes to mind immediatley as a forward and one more rock at the back end too will change the opposition's temperament when they play us....

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Even if you do believe that, wouldn't getting a firsthand glance at just what the playoff grind entails be a positive going forward?

This exactly. Winning one or two games would do wonders for this group going forward. 

29 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Meh, if they let Torres take runs at people without getting penalized like Ferland......

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but i recall how in game three in Boston of the 2011 SCF Torres disappeared for the series.

II think team is a bit tougher with Pearson and Lievo at forward. They have added size with those two.  Still need to add lots of toughness IMO

They're not making the playoffs.   About 1% chance of that happening 

If they do it'll be great experience for them. They'll feel the playoff game and know what it takes. And I do agree with op that they'll take a lot of physical punishment.  

But not happening. Too far behind. 

14 minutes ago, 6string said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but i recall how in game three in Boston of the 2011 SCF Torres disappeared for the series.

Ferland was definitely charging on those many of those hits in playoffs.  

I'm no homer. Get quite annoyed on gdt when ppl countinously call conspiracy on almost half the penalties against.

But ferland should have been called on those hits.  Made a huge difference in the series. 

If we somehow make it we’re most likely playing Calgary.  They’re not exactly a tough, gritty team plus they don’t have ferland anymore either.  Plus I want me some playoff hockey, not just for the players, but because I’ve missed it so much.  Best time of the year during my childhood 

4 hours ago, Boest-er said:

They aren't tough enough

I had similar thoughts after watching the Ottawa game. When it began to get feisty and big hits were being thrown I was nervous for guys like Boeser and especially Petterson. The playoffs are all about physical play and wearing your opponents down. I don't think the team has the right personell to give and take big hits every night for a 7 game series. I think they could benefit from some more guys like Virt, Motte, and Rousell in the lineup as those are the only players I notice that routinely throw big hits.

Archived