The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Kings @ Nucks 28/03/19 7pm -- Willie or Won't He?

xereau

54 minutes ago, xereau said:

Everyone was concerned about Schenn's speed when we traded for him.

Can anyone recall his speed getting him caught and or causing us a goal against?

So he wasn't the promised one, as advertised, for the TML.
The media grinded and grinded on this guy.

But here he still is.

A VERY serviceable journeyman stay at home beefcake.

He makes the best passes of the entire current D corps.

He has punished a few guys at the blue line.

And on the boards.

I hope he signs here for depth.

And to show these young guys, especially Woo, how it is done at this level.

He has been one very pleasant surprise - glad Benning nabbed him - that said I hope he proves to be a good mentor to these young guys. I believe I like him better then Guddy.

At least there isn't constant turn overs - bad passes and the let down that happened when he didn't step up when the young youngs got run. Sure sometimes he did but.......... think Schenn  has more to offer.  Noticed the last couple games he is starting to get up in the play more. Think we are in for an interesting off season - hope some of these vets can be moved.

17 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't care we're out of the race, just win baby!

Next year we back, cut some players, add some players, figure out the injuries for gawds sake.

Hughsie on the PP = fun stuff

I have a good feeling about our 1st round pick. 

Team needs to spend some money on researching that magic knee brace thing from the Dark Knight or whichever Batman movie it was. Guy went from decrepit to crime fighter in one night. Could bump Tanev's games played from 50 to 60, maybe even 65 games :O Imagine?

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Gotta say I doubted him being able to be effective at this level still at first, happily surprised to see how well he has done and would welcome another year or two extension for him as a 6-8 dman here. 

Me too, but all I had to go on was what the lying hyperbole monsters, err, 'media' were to have me believe.

The proof is in the pudding.

4 hours ago, ItalianCanuck1 said:

Thanks for posting great info. But with all stats it's all how you select the bracket.

If you add in 14 and 15 Canucks so youre looking at 6 years not 4 then we are no where near worst.

And if you look at the last  10 years nux record is really quite good.

So ya. Lousy 4 years but that's a pretty short time frame to look at in a rebuild.

Gonna go one step further and predict were a winning /possible playoff team next year!

Moving on up!  (Jeffersons lol)

1 hour ago, Rick_theRyper said:

To you maybe. To the guys in the locker room they sure do. 

Glad our team doesnt have your attitude. Be a bunch of losers and happy about it.. 

Good stuff bro. Go watch golf. 

Well it's just a fact that these games don't matter as much as those earlier in the season..

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

Thanks for posting great info. But with all stats it's all how you select the bracket.

If you add in 14 and 15 Canucks so youre looking at 6 years not 4 then we are no where near worst.

So ya. Lousy 4 years but that's a pretty short time frame to look at in a rebuild.

Gonna go one step further and predict were a winning /possible playoff team next year!

Yeah, that's right.

The reason why I posted this stat is to underline how those years were tough and tested our loyalty (personally those years made me more connected with the team than in the Golden Era).

Hope for a bright future.

GCG!

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

Here's a bigger question:

How does a team like Edmonton, with a 1st overall, arguably one of the best players in the league, along with Draisaitl, RNH, Darnell Nurse, have only 2 points and a game in hand? 

How does a team like Buffalo, with Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Dahlin, have a game in hand and 3 points back of the Canucks?

You can be critical all you want, I'm pretty sure there's bigger questions on other teams on longer rebuilds. With higher draft picks. 

45 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How does a team like Edmonton, with a 1st overall, arguably one of the best players in the league, along with Draisaitl, RNH, Darnell Nurse, have only 2 points and a game in hand? 

How does a team like Buffalo, with Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Dahlin, have a game in hand and 3 points back of the Canucks?

You can be critical all you want, I'm pretty sure there's bigger questions on other teams on longer rebuilds. With higher draft picks. 

Answer = Bad Defense and/or Bad goaltending.   Marky probably gave the Canucks an extra 10-15 points this year.

I'm sure Schenn's agent was like.

Agent: "Luke they have no one who can hit after trading Gudbranson, you want a NHL job next year hit everything you see and protect the young kids."

Luke: "I can do that, that's all I have to do to have a job in the NHL now?"

Agent: "Yes, trust me the fans in Vancouver are dying for a guy to hit and protect their young guys, you will be a fan favorite."

Luke: "I think I'm going to like playing in Vancouver then good news, Toronto sucks."

1 hour ago, DADDYROCK said:

LUKE SCHENN a defense man who actually "hits" people and plays good defensive position,

WOW WHAT A CONCEPT, the Canucks need more of that.

I WOULD GUESS LUKE S, HAS MORE HITS IN 7 GAMES THAN TANEV HAS IN 50,I just HARDLY see Chris T. hit anybody.

Tanev is a hittee, not a hitter.

10 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Not trying to defend Edmonton nor Buffalo ( possibly the worst deliberate tankers in the NHL ), but some teams must find the UFA market does not exist for them. 27+ year old millionaires, either single or married, don't rush to certain cities. If you got offered a great job in LA would you prefer to take a great job in Edmonton or Buffalo ? Not being able to utilise the UFA pool is a huge obstacle ! Much harder to control your destiny.

24 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Not trying to defend Edmonton nor Buffalo ( possibly the worst deliberate tankers in the NHL ), but some teams must find the UFA market does not exist for them. 27+ year old millionaires, either single or married, don't rush to certain cities. If you got offered a great job in LA would you prefer to take a great job in Edmonton or Buffalo ? Not being able to utilise the UFA pool is a huge obstacle ! Much harder to control your destiny.

Not buying it man. Lucic did exactly what you s aid players dont do.

Left LA, at the age of 27, to go play in edmonton. I get that he probably didnt have an offer from the kings but he could have chose anywhere.  

They've had much better draft position than us and equal opportunity at free agents. 

7 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Not buying it man. Lucic did exactly what you s aid players dont do.

Left LA, at the age of 27, to go play in edmonton. I get that he probably didnt have an offer from the kings but he could have chose anywhere.  

They've had much better draft position than us and equal opportunity at free agents. 

There will always be exceptions to the norm, but I absolutely believe that it's way harder for Edmonton to attract UFAs than most other teams. Even being Canadian can turn players away. Having better tax conditions can be big. There will be a handful of big ticket UFAs this summer. I highly doubt they're telling their agents that Buffalo, Colombus or Winnipeg is where they want to play. It would be interesting to see players' 'limited no trade' lists. If you were granted a 4 team no trade option, who would you pick ?

Archived