The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did Travis Green mishandle Nikolai Goldobin?

*Buzzsaw*

Travis Green and Nikolai Goldobin  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Did Travis Green give up on Nikolai Goldobin too soon?

• Yes, Goldobin should have stayed in the lineup... he was improving
    • Nope... Goldobin was a bust... headed for the waiver wire

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 01:24 PM

10 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Baertschi has been sent down the lineup to get him to "refocus".  You see Sven start doing the little things to get into the coach's good book.... battling hard for the puck, finishing his checks, more timely line changes, blocking shots, etc.  

The biggest criticism for Goldy is that he's not a "complete" player.  If he can't produce offensively, he must be strong away from the puck.  Who better to work on the checking/grinding game than say being paired with Beagle or Motte?  

Not saying Green is the key issue, as no one is responsible for Goldobin except himself.... but some different coaching techniques should have been employed.  

Actually that's a fair point to bring up. Never thought of it that way. cheers

On 4/7/2019 at 5:16 AM, Lancaster said:

It wouldn't be viewed as mismanagement if a player like Virtanen had a similar short leash.  

Green probably should have "punished" Goldobin by playing him in a bottom-6 role at times and demanding he play the system and play physical while there.  Then put him on the PK and demand he throw his body in front of a one-timer to show how much he wants to stay in the line up, a la Motte.

Shouldn't just be top-6 or out... something more in-between would have been better.  

The just punishes the rest of the team. Goldy could barely stay on his feet in a strong breeze let alone win puck battles required on the PK. 

He just couldn't produce as needed. He got better for sure and I like him for about a 12 game stretch but would miss so many great chances.  

If he's back I'm cool with it. If not that's okay too. 

I think we should keep Goldy around. I don't really think he was mis handled with a kid like that I think you gotta break him before you can make him. I'd sign him and park him in the press box next year too until we have an injury to our top 6 then plug him in and tell him to take someones job or go back to the box when so and so is healthy again.

He has the tools to be a 50 point player but the Team can't adapt to him he has to adapt to the team period.

Otherwise he can follow in the footsteps of Sergi Shirokov. 

On 4/7/2019 at 7:49 AM, Tomatoes11 said:

We definitely had favourites and Goldie wasn’t one of them.

like Baertschit, JV, and craplund were force fed minutes like crazy, probably because dim Jim didn’t want his trades and first high pick to look like crap. 

If goldie was force fed those minutes he would look a lot better right now, unfortunately, he rubbed someone the wrong way somehow. 

Unfortunately, this would mean both burrows and Hansen trades would be bust trades. The irony is that those were probably dim Jim’s two best trades and if they failed, imagine how bad his other trades were. Lol

Trade JV and Baertschit before Goldie imo. Move green for quenville if that’s what it takes.

Really do not understand your irrational hatred for Baertschi. At all. 

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol don't really like the way Green handled Goldobin at all. if he's benching Goldobin for 25% of the season.. then he should be benching guys like Eriksson and so on.. 

Forget the terrible contract.  Eriksson is a better player and can play PK, PP and anywhere in your lineup. Maybe Goldy could be given the Hutton treatment and come back stronger and better but that's a crap shoot.  Goldy had more than enough opportunity.  He doesn't battle.  I don't think he has it in him so I would lean towards trading him for any pick you can get. He will be 24 in October.  If the Canucks were generous enough to give him one more chance, I'd give him training camp and a couple of weeks and if there's no improvement cut bait.

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol don't really like the way Green handled Goldobin at all. if he's benching Goldobin for 25% of the season.. then he should be benching guys like Eriksson and so on.. 

Eriksson helped the PK and played very well defensively, Goldobin did neither of those AND failed to produce down the stretch. Not that hard to figure out...

On 4/7/2019 at 7:49 AM, Tomatoes11 said:

We definitely had favourites and Goldie wasn’t one of them.

like Baertschit, JV, and craplund were force fed minutes like crazy, probably because dim Jim didn’t want his trades and first high pick to look like crap. 

If goldie was force fed those minutes he would look a lot better right now, unfortunately, he rubbed someone the wrong way somehow. 

Unfortunately, this would mean both burrows and Hansen trades would be bust trades. The irony is that those were probably dim Jim’s two best trades and if they failed, imagine how bad his other trades were. Lol

Trade JV and Baertschit before Goldie imo. Move green for quenville if that’s what it takes.

Yawn.

Ice time / game:

Baertschi 15:08

Granlund 15:03

Goldobin 14:59

Virtanen 14:49

Powerplay ice time / game

Baertschi 2:59

Goldobin 2:33

Granlund 1:34

Virtanen 1:14

Offensive zone starts

Baertschi 64.8%

Goldobin 64%

Virtanen 45.4

Granlund 41.0

Goldobin -10 with worse on ice goal metrics than Virtanen or Granlund - who played far harder minutes - and worse relative puck possession numbers as well.

You have no case.

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yawn.

Ice time / game:

Offensive zone starts

Baertschi 64.8%

Goldobin 64%

Virtanen 45.4

Granlund 41.0

Goldobin -10 with worse on ice goal metrics than Virtanen or Granlund - who played far harder minutes - and worse relative puck possession numbers as well.

You have no case.

Poorly executed name calling>facts ON you know that. :bigblush:

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Yawn.

Ice time / game:

Offensive zone starts

Baertschi 64.8%

Goldobin 64%

Virtanen 45.4

Granlund 41.0

You have no case.

Wasn’t just this season, Baertschi should have been dropped ages ago. They had no issue dropping Dahlen before giving him a shot. Don’t see why Baertschit was given such a long leash. 

I was talking about when they first started playing with the Canucks. They were given a free ride from acquisition until now. For no reason either. 28 point soft player 5 seasons in counting and we are still giving him ice time. Go figure.

36 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Wasn’t just this season, Baertschi should have been dropped ages ago. They had no issue dropping Dahlen before giving him a shot. Don’t see why Baertschit was given such a long leash. 

I was talking about when they first started playing with the Canucks. They were given a free ride from acquisition until now. For no reason either. 28 point soft player 5 seasons in counting and we are still giving him ice time. Go figure.

To me the difference between the time Baertschi was acquired - and now - is somewhat obvious.

When Baertshi was acquired - the Canucks had one player under 26 in their top 10 in scoring - Horvat at 10th.

Regardless, Baertschi was sent to the AHL for a year btw.  

Right now there are 3 players 26 or older in the top 13 in scoring on this team.

The spots that are  being competed for - have tougher young competition looking for those spots.  

Goldobin isn't necessarily earning it - and further - what's keeping him out of the lineup has persisted - arguably longer than in Baertschi's case.

Goldobin also faces the challenge of being the 3rd part on a Pettersson Boeser line that he isn't necessarily the best fit for - and probably even less so on the 3 other forward lines....

Baertschi was a pretty natural fit with Horvat, while virtually the only other young forward on the roster was Granlund - who himself scored 19 goals -again, in less opportune minutes than Goldobin has played.....

Baertschi had 18 goals, 35 pts, 50% ozone starts and was 11th on the team in powerplay ice time at the age Goldobin presently is - wasn't playing with Pettersson - wasn't playing the type of sheltered minutes that Goldobin is....So I think there's a case to be made that he did more to earn his minutes, in a time when there was less competition to do so.

2 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Just because you hate him for some unknown reason doesn't make him a bad player or better than Goldobin. Give it up, you're pathetic tbh. 

30 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Just because you hate him for some unknown reason doesn't make him a bad player or better than Goldobin. Give it up, you're pathetic tbh. 

No, what a circled is pathetic for all the favouritism given to him.  I think Goldie already surpassed his highest point total in one season. Definitely better off with the 2nd round pick.

02C47187-2E66-43ED-91DA-E0C9A777C908.jpeg

On 4/7/2019 at 12:29 AM, Drakrami said:

Maybe Goldobin mishandled Goldobin... Stop blaming everything on the coach. 

News Flash - Sometimes "THE COACH" has to take responsibilities for the results.  With your logic should we assume that we should not fault TG even slightly for continuously allowing the  Pooalot & Gudbranson duo to wreck numerous games for us and did nothing about it until late spring????  Even my 12 y.o. figured out that duo needed to get booted out of here back in November of last year - and fast - yet nothing was done for months.  Someone was asleep at the wheel !

Meanwhile many more deserving players were benched, ignored, kept on the farm, shuffled down the line up or sat in the press box needlessly while we had to watch the horrors of those two along with the likes of Erikson & Granlund among a couple of others.   Fans in this city have to STOP making excuses for and accepting failure and demand excellence! 

Not to worry though because TG is an "Interim" coach anyhow!  Once the team is at "playoff compete level" he'll be gone - likely next year is his last (two on the outside.  5 bucks says it's so!)

....and BTW, I'm not a super-big Goldy fan but something had to be said of your mis-conceived post - with all due respect!

17 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

No, what a circled is pathetic for all the favouritism given to him.  I think Goldie already surpassed his highest point total in one season. Definitely better off with the 2nd round pick.

02C47187-2E66-43ED-91DA-E0C9A777C908.jpeg

Still better than Goldobin and the proof that you ignore has already been posted. 

So here it is again. 

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

Yawn.

Ice time / game:

Offensive zone starts

Baertschi 64.8%

Goldobin 64%

Virtanen 45.4

Granlund 41.0

You have no case.

7 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

News Flash - Sometimes "THE COACH" has to take responsibilities for the results.  With your logic should we assume that we should not fault TG even slightly for continuously allowing the  Pooalot & Gudbranson duo to wreck numerous games for us and did nothing about it until late spring????  Even my 12 y.o. figured out that duo needed to get booted out of here back in November of last year - and fast - yet nothing was done for months.  Someone was asleep at the wheel !

Meanwhile many more deserving players were benched, ignored, kept on the farm, shuffled down the line up or sat in the press box needlessly while we had to watch the horrors of those two along with the likes of Erikson & Granlund among a couple of others.   Fans in this city have to STOP making excuses for and accepting failure and demand excellence! 

Not to worry though because TG is an "Interim" coach anyhow!  Once the team is at "playoff compete level" he'll be gone - likely next year is his last (two on the outside.  5 bucks says it's so!)

....and BTW, I'm not a super-big Goldy fan but something had to be said of your mis-conceived post - with all due respect!

RU SERIOUS, may be Goldobin is not serious enough that is why he gets benched. Goldobin is basically Baertschi. He was benched and gave up on by the Flames/Brian Burke, so he sucked it up, stepped up his game and played his ass off to where he is now. 

Has Goldobin suck it up and played his ass off? Why has he been written off by 1) Sharks 2) Desjardins 3) Green? 

5 hours ago, Drakrami said:

RU SERIOUS, may be Goldobin is not serious enough that is why he gets benched. Goldobin is basically Baertschi. He was benched and gave up on by the Flames/Brian Burke, so he sucked it up, stepped up his game and played his ass off to where he is now. 

Has Goldobin suck it up and played his ass off? Why has he been written off by 1) Sharks 2) Desjardins 3) Green? 

I don't think Goldobin has been written off by Green yet but he is near/on his last leg with him. If he is not moved at the draft for a pick and he has a bad training camp he is waiver/Utica bound imo. 

Archived