The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Put Eriksson on the 2nd line with Pearson and Horvat. Yay or nay?

Hindustan Smyl

Put him on the 2nd plane into Pearson International and cab him to Ottawa.  I am hoping they can trade him to a team that needs to hit the cap floor as his actual dollars/annual salary owed drops yet his cap hit remains $6MM.  Pay him the signing bonus this year - $4MM -  and then move him.  I know he has a NTC currently but based on reports he may not be pleased with his role here, plus with all the media pressure he may agree and welcome a change .  Arizona is quiet.  I can always dream........  

image.thumb.png.6417bc588407ec84fb07d0bbaac4af9a.png

EDIT:  Remaining signing bonuses/salary =  $1MM 2019/20 - $4MM 2020/21 - $4MM - 2021/22 = $9MM or $3MM per season.

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Loui is going to hang back, then we are attacking (even if a D man joins) with only 3 players.  That's going to lead to a turnover, and Loiu is going to end up having to defend in the neutral zone, or back up to his net.  In that situation Loui (being a smart player) will sag back to his goal, and that's bad news.  

I know Loui is trying his hardest, but the game has passed him by.  He's aging, and that's what happens.  

thats a good point. But I guess the question is, can we survive the turnovers enough to generate 2nd line offence? 

you know how it is Alf, there's the people you want and then there's the people you have in an organization. I don't really see a significant upgrade on the 2nd line RW in the current group tbh. Would Leivo or Jake produce more? dunno, maybe a little? 

I'm going with a management philosophy here of "first who, then what" :lol: yeah its not ideal, but whats the best with what you've got? 

I suppose 10 goals 25-30 points on the bottom 6 for Loui isn't the worst option, its better than a buyout or some kind of horrible trade just to move him. 

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

Tried and failed

But for how long?

2 game trial?  3 game trial?  Why not just place him there, and give him assurance that he’s going to play there.  Let him acclimatize to that role (ie no trial periods.....just place him there), and give that line some time to gel.  Once Eriksson starts producing, out feelers out there to see if teams would be willing to trade for him.  

My other option is this:  Trade him for Dion Phaneuf.

6 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

But for how long?

2 game trial?  3 game trial?  Why not just place him there, and give him assurance that he’s going to play there.  Let him acclimatize to that role (ie no trial periods.....just place him there), and give that line some time to gel.  Once Eriksson starts producing, out feelers out there to see if teams would be willing to trade for him.  

My other option is this:  Trade him for Dion Phaneuf.

He's had multiple chances in the 3 years of him being here to prove if he can play top-6 and he can't. He has a NTC and doesn't want to be moved.

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats a good point. But I guess the question is, can we survive the turnovers enough to generate 2nd line offence? 

you know how it is Alf, there's the people you want and then there's the people you have in an organization. I don't really see a significant upgrade on the 2nd line RW in the current group tbh. Would Leivo or Jake produce more? dunno, maybe a little? 

I'm going with a management philosophy here of "first who, then what" :lol: yeah its not ideal, but whats the best with what you've got? 

I suppose 10 goals 25-30 points on the bottom 6 for Loui isn't the worst option, its better than a buyout or some kind of horrible trade just to move him. 

Loui on the fourth line, and PK is about the best we can get out of him.  Jake is definitely in the mix for our top six.  I think that's why Green (finally!) played Jake on the left wing with Petey and Brock the last couple games.  It's up to Jake now, to put in the work over this summer to come back prepared both physically and mentally to play the role needed to stay with those two. Loui used to have the hands and legs to play that role, but (like this old fart) he is over the hill.  

13 minutes ago, Baer. said:

He's had multiple chances in the 3 years of him being here to prove if he can play top-6 and he can't. He has a NTC and doesn't want to be moved.

thats not really the case tho. On 5 on 5  line combo's with Bo+Pearson and EP+Goldy Loui had 10 pts, which was 38% of his ice time. On the other 8 bottom 6 line combos he was on, he has 9 points. So he can produce at a higher rate on the top 6. 

If that top 6 production holds, and some scoring off the 2nd unit PP, he might get to 40 pts. 

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/loui-eriksson

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Loui on the fourth line, and PK is about the best we can get out of him.  Jake is definitely in the mix for our top six.  I think that's why Green (finally!) played Jake on the left wing with Petey and Brock the last couple games.  It's up to Jake now, to put in the work over this summer to come back prepared both physically and mentally to play the role needed to stay with those two. Loui used to have the hands and legs to play that role, but (like this old fart) he is over the hill.  

but that long look with Bo and Pearson, was that just to make Loui more tradable? could be. At least we know what to expect out of Loui, as you say good PK, probably in the 10 goal 30 pt range, not a bad floor. And he's better than Lucic. 

Loui in his prime when he was money in front of the net would have been a perfect fit on that line, on paper anyways. Bo and Pearson get in the corner and dig the puck out, feed it to the point and get a shot through where Loui would be waiting for a deflection and/or clean up rebounds. Now it seems like Leivo fits that description pretty well, plus he's a big body. He can muck it up in the corners as well, and all 3 of them have heavy shots.

Pearons-Horvat-Leivo should be a line.

EDIT: That said, it's somewhat silly that we're discussing lines for next year in April after the season just ended :lol:

3 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I hear all of this talk that the Canucks should go out and get a 2nd line RW forward that can play alongside Pearson and Horvat. 

Why not not just put Eriksson there instead?   Why not just do the following?

1) Play Loui with Horvat and Pearson.  Eriksson’s skating speed and playing style is a good match with Horvat and Pearson.

2) Give LE the vote of confidence and just play him there permanently.  

3) If Eriksson is able to score and produce on the 2nd Unit, he ups his value.......meaning that perhaps we could have an easier time trading him.

4) Don’t spend money on a 2nd line RW’er.  Instead - use that money to hypertarget a 1st Line LW’er and perhaps an RD.

[Panarin/Duchene/Skinner]-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson

Virtanen-Sutter-Gaudette

Roussel-Beagle-Leivo

Motte

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-[Stralman]

Hughes-Tanev

Schenn

Markstrom

Demko

He compliments them well.  They are both shoot first and he is 100% pass first kind of player.  He is quick not fast and plays well in his own zone.  Pearson is also quick and not fast, so generally they are in the same zones at the same time.  It makes it easier to transition the play when the players work as a group.  Pearson and Horvat like to score in front of the net as well, and he is good at digging for pucks on the boards.  They have had the most chemistry of any line this year.  Pettersson and Boeser are very high skill players, but they haven't meshed well yet.  Goldobin and Petterson showed some incredible chemistry as well, but Goldobin is almost useless without Petterson; so it makes it difficult to pencil him in on the first line.

If a better alternative is a available then sure.  Baertschi-Horvat-Pearson would be better, but I doubt Baertschi will be healthy.  Roussel-Horvat-Pearson could be an excellent line as well.  Pearson-Horvat-Boeser is problematic because they are all shooters and Boeser isn't great on the boards.  Leivo-Horvat-Pearson again all shooters, Virtanen-Horvat-Person same problem. 

I hear all of this talk that the Canucks should go out and get a 2nd line RW forward that can play alongside Pearson and Horvat. 

Why not not just put Eriksson there instead?   Why not just do the following?

Because this has been tried to death and failed every time. 

1) Play Loui with Horvat and Pearson.  Eriksson’s skating speed and playing style is a good match with Horvat and Pearson.

No it isn’t.  He can’t keep up anymore. 

2) Give LE the vote of confidence and just play him there permanently.  

He had his chance to build his confidence in the top 6. He failed. 

3) If Eriksson is able to score and produce on the 2nd Unit, he ups his value.......meaning that perhaps we could have an easier time trading him.

His goal scoring days are loooong behind him.   Where have you been?

4) Don’t spend money on a 2nd line RW’er.  Instead - use that money to hypertarget a 1st Line LW’er and perhaps an RD.

[Panarin/Duchene/Skinner]-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson

Virtanen-Sutter-Gaudette

Roussel-Beagle-Leivo

Motte

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-[Stralman]

Hughes-Tanev

Schenn

Markstrom

Demko

Our group of forwards isn’t good enough.  

Adding a washed up, no effort, 4th line plug isn’t the answer. 

Poor Horvat skated with losers all season. 

Its about time to get him someone to play with. 

Pearson Horvat Eriksson

Was Eriksson's 3rd most common line combination over the season - and it took only 19 games with Pearson here for that to be the case.

Clearly - Green thought of this quite some time ago.

In 11% of his 5 on 5 ice time with these two linemates, Eriksson scored 23.1% of his points.

I hear very little of that - what I hear people focusing on is getting a LW to play with Pettersson = more of a primary need imo.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I don't know what we are going to do with Loui.  The league is so fast now, and he's so slow.  His hands have failed him (first sign of an aging player) and he doesn't have the strength he once did too (second sign of an aging player).

I think he will likely be put on the fourth line, and PK.  Personally, I'd send him to Utica, and have him be a player coach.  

Also he's lazy 

To be clear - I'm not knocking the OP's idea, just the originality of it.

For those folks who think it's an awful idea:  here are some counterpoints to the negativity.

Eriksson has 6 pts in 11% of his 5 on 5 ice time playing with these two.

If you extrapolate that over a season - it's unrealistic to expect that high of a production rate (he's probably never going to score 50 points at even strength again)  but it's probably not unreasonable to expect a solid uptick from the 26 he had this year.

Eriksson's production came while getting 38% ozone starts, and 14 minutes of ice time - and again. playing with Horvat, Pearson would result in an uptick on both.

Both Pearson and Horvat handle a heavier game - something that decreased LE's need to be a principal forechecker.  Nevertheless, Eriksson is a good hard areas scorer - loves to vacuum up rebounds with that long reach of his - and moreover handles the defensive side of the game very well - something Horvat's line deals with in excessive volumes, particularly when the team isn't healthy.   The Horvat Pearson line also tends to be a transition scoring line - something that an LE is apt with - a very good pitch and catch possession player.  I think this type of line configuration might actually enhance Eriksson's utility moreso than playing with a couple Sedin types - that could be just the type of deployment to recover his productivity.

4 hours ago, Wanless said:

I think getting Eriksson out of a checking line roll would increase his points to boarder line second line numbers and he did have good chemistry with Pearson.

I'm all for it 

Although I have this feeling that throwing rousell on petterssons wing is a good idea. He's hard on the puck, fast reasonably skilled playing a bottom six role and putting up decent numbers. It's not impossible for him to get 50 points and at the same time bring grit and toughness to that line. Forget about UFA wingers and go after a dman in UFA or trade

I don't think I want Rousell getting guys blood up and taking liberties with Pete and Boeser. Roussel is an agitator not a bodygaurd.  

Archived