The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Are we in for the offseason of the decade?

With what just happened with Tampa and Pittsburgh, and with teams like Chicago, LA, and Anaheim holding on to a core which can no longer get it done, are we in for one of the wildest offseasons in the past decade?

I think besides the obvious players for each team (Kucherov, Crosby, Kopitar, Kane), there is absolutely no one who is untouchable. 

Can the Canucks take advantage of teams looking for a change up?

It's a good thought. I'm hoping Benning will be busy, shedding some of the older bottom 6 guys, and signing a few UFAs. Good ones this time. lol TB and PIT have to be scratching their heads, Tampa especially. A wasted spectacular season. 

1 minute ago, nzan said:

I wonder what it would take to get Malkin and his massive contract. Our 1st and Gaudette? More? Less?

There are going to be some big changes coming to some top teams.

Why would we want Malkin? He doesn't fit our team's age group at all and we'd be mortgaging the future to "maybe" make the playoffs next year with him.

If the GMs have the balls of Sather, they would.  One thing I always admired about him, was his ability to just cut ties and make the hard decisions.  Even as prez in NY last year, just look at the draft foundation he and his GM were able to give themselves moving forward.  They saw that the core was not good enough, and they moved out the most valuable pieces for a whole bunch of good picks.  I would love to see some volatility around the league for sure.  But its probably going to be a crazy FEW offseasons instead of just this one. We are heading into a new CBA too.  The league really needs to push for definitive contract termination clauses.  These long term anchors, and basement trades are an embarrassment to the game.

1 hour ago, xereau said:

If the GMs have the balls of Sather, they would.  One thing I always admired about him, was his ability to just cut ties and make the hard decisions.  Even as prez in NY last year, just look at the draft foundation he and his GM were able to give themselves moving forward.  They saw that the core was not good enough, and they moved out the most valuable pieces for a whole bunch of good picks.  I would love to see some volatility around the league for sure.  But its probably going to be a crazy FEW offseasons instead of just this one. We are heading into a new CBA too.  The league really needs to push for definitive contract termination clauses.  These long term anchors, and basement trades are an embarrassment to the game.

if the salary cap has taught us anything, its that only about 25% of the GMs are good at their job

HIgh salaries might have made the good teams good,

but the cap has not made the bad teams better

they should do away with salary retention

the league is an embarrasment to hockey/sport

4 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

With what just happened with Tampa and Pittsburgh, and with teams like Chicago, LA, and Anaheim holding on to a core which can no longer get it done, are we in for one of the wildest offseasons in the past decade?

I think besides the obvious players for each team (Kucherov, Crosby, Kopitar, Kane), there is absolutely no one who is untouchable. 

Can the Canucks take advantage of teams looking for a change up?

Well I don't believe that Tampa is going to change too much.  They had a great season and ran into Columbus who will go on to do well in the playoffs I believe.  

Chicago has sort of retooled on the fly with all the youngsters.  They might try and touch up their team but I don't see anyone touching their veterans.  

LA and Anaheim have some good youth coming up but I believe that both of them are in the same situation that the Canucks were in (in 2013) and should perhaps start selling off some of their older stars. 

I would take Rakell in an instant from the Ducks, but I don't think that they'll give him up. 

Just looking at LA and there's not a single guy I'd want to trade for on their team.  I mean those contracts are just horrible.  Kings have the advantage of having a lot of draft picks this year, but their future is looking bleak.  

One team that might want to shake it up is San Jose if they get bounced by the Knights again.  They may not be eager to bring back both Joe Pavelski and Gustav Nyquist who are free agents this summer, not to mention Erik Karlsson. 

I do think that we'll see a wild summer though.  

I'm looking for a team that makes it to the 2nd or 3rd round but falls short due to lack of D depth.  I'd love to trade Hutton and/or Tanev to them for some picks.

Tampa will simply retool a bit like Washington did, you don't tear down a 62-win team because of one bad playoff series.

But otherwise you may be right. Karlsson ain't resigning with SJ. Bob and Panarin looking for new teams. Lots of teams on the cusp of contention. A few teams like Philly and Pitt with a disappearing window. It could be interesting.

If Tampa will do anything is look at it's defence. The young guys were the only ones contributing. 

I doubt we'll see another playoff round with both Hedman and McDonagh being quiet. 

Pretty sure Cal Foote will be playing in Tampa by the middle of next season. 

Wonder if Tanev would have any value to them? 

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I don't see why Tampa would need to make big changes. They just ran into a hot team at the wrong time. I am pretty sure Tampa will still be one of the elite teams next season.

Agreed.  To have playoff success often takes a few hard lessons.  

I do think they need a goalie though.  

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed.  To have playoff success often takes a few hard lessons.  

I do think they need a goalie though.  

This is true, and also the East is so good that Columbus, islanders and Washington could all go all the way. 

Spurgeon on the Wild could be one to watch.  He is a legit 1st pairing RHD.  He only has 1 year to free agency and wants to win.

The Wild with their re-tooling on the fly might not be able to sign him - they will try this off-season.  Fenton has not particularly impressed with his trades.  Not sure the vets are all that confident that they will be on the upswing any time soon.  Their young players need to take a significant step in their development for that to happen.

Zucker is probably still on the trade block.  They tried to trade him at the TDL to Calgary for Frolick and a pick but things broke down at the Calgary end at the last minute.  He had 33 goals and 64 points a season ago and has a lot of speed.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If Tampa will do anything is look at it's defence. The young guys were the only ones contributing. 

I doubt we'll see another playoff round with both Hedman and McDonagh being quiet. 

Pretty sure Cal Foote will be playing in Tampa by the middle of next season. 

Wonder if Tanev would have any value to them? 

After watching Seth Jones, Werenski, and Savard dominate the Lightning, you think Tanev would be an upgrade for them.. Rofl.

Archived