The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic says he would like to play here

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'll probably find another team to support if Benning trades for that worthless waste of oxygen.  Hopefully he has the sense to avoid Messier 2.0.

Your comments on Lucic have got me chuckling for sure. Wish I was bleeding cash. I'd send you a Lucic jersey just to see what you would do to it. 

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Id love to see us look at weaponizing cap space & getting a younger player/asset. We dont have alot of assets, but one asset weve had is cap space. And this regime has refused to weaponize it. Instead we just sign our own bad contracts. 

It takes two to tango though. If teams aren't willing to offer up enough to take on their bad contracts, then why should we help them out to free themselves of the situation they've bound themselves in? Arizona has taken on plenty of bad contracts and it's not like they're reaping the rewards.

I think it's fair for a team to not spend to the cap during years when they know they won't be flourishing (especially if the return isn't all that spectacular anyway). If the fanbase continually sells out the building regardless of results, then maybe it's worth taking on the money to try and bolster the team.

There are examples of good deals made when taking on a cap dump like the Teravainen one, but perhaps Chicago didn't want make that same deal with us for example.

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Forgot about Big Mac.  That's a role I think he is being groomed for.  Good point. 

Big Mac can hold his own, but he's not the one to depend on to defend our young guys.  

Virtanen's game has taken a direct hit after our "enforcer" at the time refused to fight the opposing team's enforcer and told Jake that he has to fight his own battles.  Anyone remember who it was (a couple of years ago now), Prust?  

If Reaves comes available, I'd love to nab him.  Let's not kid ourselves though that just because someone's had fights in the AHL, they will now all of a sudden start policing the NHL.  I think that Jake would be twice the player that he is now if we had adequate support for him.  

I think that all Holland’s talk about another rebuild is just a case of setting the bar low for himself for the coming season.  If the team plays well, he looks like a saviour and if they don’t, then it’s because of the rebuild.

For Holland it’s under promise and over deliver. ;)

IMO their plan is to retool. I don’t think that you could sell another rebuild to Connie Mc J.

On 6/9/2019 at 2:28 PM, kenhodgejr said:

To Edmonton: Edler Eriksson 10th 

To Vancouver: Nurse, Lucic, 8th 

To Minnesota: Virtanen, Hutton, 2019 3rd 

To Vancouver: Zucker 

To Anaheim: Sutter 

to Vancouver: 2019 3rd 

Sign Panarin

Sign Myers 

Panarin Pettersson Boeser

Pearsons Horvat Zucker

Lucic Gaudette Leivo 

Roussel Beagle Motte 

Nurse Tanev 

Hughes Myers 

Teves Stetcher 

Juolevi Schenn 

42 minutes ago, clayduran said:

It is fun dreaming but that trade from Edmonton is really nuts weighted to our end.

Nurse’s value couldn’t be higher with the year he had and every GM seeing how toughness and skill wins in this playoffs.

Edmonton would want Demko, Juolevi, and Virtanen just to pick up the phone on that...

3 hours ago, Borvat said:

Schenn and hopefully we see MacEwen soon.  We don't need a $6MM 4th line winger with a NMC.  

You'd rather keep rolling Eriksson and his pathetic compete level out there? Lucic is one of the top 5 tough guys in the game, he hits like a truck and would potentially come with an asset like Puljujarvi. Plus, there's no way in hell Seattle claims Lucic with a cap hit of $6M and an actual salary of NINE MILLION ANUALLY. Lucic waives his NMC for the expansion draft no problem. The only issue is that extra year but Puljujarvi is worth it IMO. I'd even throw in Goldobin if they want a roster player to replace PoolParty with. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DontFockWithBrock said:

I'd rather have the 10th OA and Edmonton's 4th round... Compared to moving up 2 spots from 10th to 8th. 

Moving up 2 spots in this draft is negligible. A 4th round pick is more ammo. 

Impossible to say without knowing who is there

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'd prefer we target the likes of Tampa.

Take on one year of Callahan, retain 50% on Tanev's one year (to replace the soon departing Stralman) and see what we can get out of them in the way of Foote, picks etc.

I agree. Look at whatever options are out there.

I'd totally be for that if we can get a good asset. Doubt they'd give up Foote, but that would be a homerun if we could pry him away.

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

It takes two to tango though. If teams aren't willing to offer up enough to take on their bad contracts, then why should we help them out to free themselves of the situation they've bound themselves in? Arizona has taken on plenty of bad contracts and it's not like they're reaping the rewards.

I think it's fair for a team to not spend to the cap during years when they know they won't be flourishing (especially if the return isn't all that spectacular anyway). If the fanbase continually sells out the building regardless of results, then maybe it's worth taking on the money to try and bolster the team.

There are examples of good deals made when taking on a cap dump like the Teravainen one, but perhaps Chicago didn't want make that same deal with us for example.

Well Arizona took 1 year of Datsyuk to move up in the draft & get Jacob Chychurn. Getting a young top 4 D who played right away is pretty worthwhile. 

Like maybe you can take on a contract & offer our 40th overall to back into the 1st round? 

No matter what it is, I just have doubts our management group has ever really considered going that route. Which we should, its a great way to get assets at a time when we can afford to do it.

1 hour ago, DontFockWithBrock said:

I'd rather have the 10th OA and Edmonton's 4th round... Compared to moving up 2 spots from 10th to 8th. 

Moving up 2 spots in this draft is negligible. A 4th round pick is more ammo. 

A 2nd or even early 3rd you might have something. By the 4th you're basically throwing darts.

Pretty sure we could get more difference than a 4th by trading down from our new 8th than our current 10th.

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

A 2nd or even early 3rd you might have something. By the 4th you're basically throwing darts.

Pretty sure we could get more difference than a 4th by trading down from our new 8th than our current 10th.

That's valid. As long as we can both agree that a 3rd or 4th round pick or swapping 1st round picks isn't enough of an incentive to take on Lucic's contract. 

Also, seeing Marchand hold back tears today was gooooooold

3 minutes ago, DontFockWithBrock said:

That's valid. As long as we can both agree that a 3rd or 4th round pick or swapping 1st round picks isn't enough of an incentive to take on Lucic's contract. 

Also, seeing Marchand hold back tears today was gooooooold

Oh Gordie no, not alone! That's on top of Puljujarvi and the their 2nd.

And hell yes on Marchand. Don't have one iota of sympathy for the Bruins.

Edited by aGENT

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

'build something sustainable' isn't a quick process, if Holland is starting that now McDavid is going to be 26/27 before that happens if they want to do that through the draft.

They can shave at least a year off that by packaging Lucic with their 8th oa and get something valuable back as well, maybe even a goalie prospect. 

I don't think McD signed that big extension thinking he'd have to endure a rebuild already. But maybe Holland is already thinking about another high lotto pick, with their KHL goalie thats where they're likely headed. 

They have players coming up through the system already - Bouchard, Benson, Yamamoto etc.  They just aren't yet established.  Holland is not starting from scratch.  8th overall will get added to that pool of prospects.  

He's not thinking of high draft pick rather continuous progress.  The team has to grow and improve but you can't fix it in one off-season. 

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'd prefer we target the likes of Tampa.

Take on one year of Callahan, retain 50% on Tanev's one year (to replace the soon departing Stralman) and see what we can get out of them in the way of Foote, picks etc.

I agree. Tampa, Vegas, and Toronto are better targets to try to use our cap space to acquire assets. The more I think about it the more I think we should stay away from Lucic. I feel he may be a toxic personality to add to our team.

29 minutes ago, babalu said:

I agree. Tampa, Vegas, and Toronto are better targets to try to use our cap space to acquire assets. The more I think about it the more I think we should stay away from Lucic. I feel he may be a toxic personality to add to our team.

While he may be too old and/or too slow, Milan Lucic has never been referred to as a toxic personality by teammates. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2