The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

June 10 2019 Benning Media Availability

Rate this topic

JamesB

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Very and Baer were wasted second round picks.  We were rebuilding, and needed those picks.

I think JB added seconds in the Sutter and Guddy deals?

Who would have Horvat been playing with if the Canucks had not traded for Baertschi?  

Canucks were right up to the cap - Prust, Cracknell, Higgins, Burrows, Dorsett, Vey, Vrbata, Hansen, rookie Virtanen were the other wing options.   The following season replace Prust with Skille who did play a fair bit with Horvat-Baertschi before Burrows took his spot.

Sutter was acquired to be a C2. He was described as stuck behind Crosby/Malkin and had more offence to bring.  He was even playing on PP1 or on the Sedins wing.  WD saw Horvat as a shutdown C.  He said he played Baertschi with Horvat because Baertschi was struggling to find his offence but his defensive game was solid, so he could use him with Horvat to shutdown the other team.  They somehow found a way to click offensively and WD then separated them explaining that Baertschi was taking Horvat off his game because Sven was an offensive player and Horvat was better suited to play with defensive wingers.  He even started Horvat the following season on the 4th line with Dorsett-Burrows.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Who would have Horvat been playing with if the Canucks had not traded for Baertschi?  

Canucks were right up to the cap - Prust, Cracknell, Higgins, Burrows, Dorsett, Vey, Vrbata, Hansen, rookie Virtanen were the other wing options.   The following season replace Prust with Skille who did play a fair bit with Horvat-Baertschi before Burrows took his spot.

Sutter was acquired to be a C2. He was described as stuck behind Crosby/Malkin and had more offence to bring.  He was even playing on PP1 or on the Sedins wing.  WD saw Horvat as a shutdown C.  He said he played Baertschi with Horvat because Baertschi was struggling to find his offence but his defensive game was solid, so he could use him with Horvat to shutdown the other team.  They somehow found a way to click offensively and WD then separated them explaining that Baertschi was taking Horvat off his game because Sven was an offensive player and Horvat was better suited to play with defensive wingers.  He even started Horvat the following season on the 4th line with Dorsett-Burrows.  

I understand the why behind JB’s trading away picks for more mature assets; I just disagree with that philosophy during a rebuild.  Since the team actually started to rebuild (IMO the right way) I think JB has done really well, and our future looks bright.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I understand the why behind JB’s trading away picks for more mature assets; I just disagree with that philosophy during a rebuild.  Since the team actually started to rebuild (IMO the right way) I think JB has done really well, and our future looks bright.  

It didn't help that the team was trying to do right by the Sedins....that's why they called it a retool at first. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I like the sounds of JB's thinking. We have spent a few years building the foundation for this team and now its time to do some fine tuning. He has inserted "Plugs" in the past to fill the roster and now its time to fill these spots with legit NHLers. The time clock is now ticking for our young guys and we do not need to waste it thinking we need to spend a few more years rebuilding.

We have a good foundation of goalies and have some good young core players with a couple of good veterans who can play. I see the process of filling in certain positions now while the new guys learn how to play in the NHL and playoffs.

With a good core and some Cap space, I see this team finally adding key pieces to the puzzle and giving our young guys some quality time in the playoffs. Good times are ahead.::D

Benning didn't view the players he brought in as "plugs".  The only "plugs" were Vanek, Vrbata and possibly Skille.   Everyone else was viewed as having potentially a long career in Vancouver if things worked out.  He was even specifically asked if Gagner, MDZ were brought in to then be sold at the TDL.  He was surprised that it was even a question and said that he hoped to extend them if things go well.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would Horvat have developed as he did playing with the other wingers available in a shutdown role vs playing with a skilled offensive player in Baertschi.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Still wouldn't welcome Lucic, which would be a repeat of the Messier disaster.  Will likely become a Seattle fan if Benning allows that classless piece of garbage to disgrace a Canucks jersey.

So to clarify,  if Benning trades for Lucic you are going to stop being a Canuck fan and cheer for the team that is not only johnny come lately but destined to be our most bitter rival for years to come? 

Gonna give you a chance to retract that partner.  What do you think? 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

So to clarify,  if Benning trades for Lucic you are going to stop being a Canuck fan and cheer for the team that is not only johnny come lately but destined to be our most bitter rival for years to come? 

Gonna give you a chance to retract that partner.  What do you think? 

I'll have to think long and hard about it.  I have that much of an issue with that piece of garbage disgracing the Canucks jersey.

• Upvote 2

Just now, King Heffy said:

I'll have to think long and hard about it.  I have that much of an issue with that piece of garbage disgracing the Canucks jersey.

Of course you won't care about the Canucks once you are a Seattle thunderpants fan.  

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

But you could stomach Messier? Luic won't be getting our Captain Bo traded like that loser got Linden traded....

Well, there's no point in speculation, as that is usually filled with disappointment.  I am not happy about this news and am hoping that Lucic will not waive for the trade.  4 years of watching him struggle up and down the ice in the attempt to keep up with the young guys, while the disappointed fanbase booing him because he isn't fighting enough will be dreadful. 

It better be a sweet deal and not just a swap of cap anchors and 1st round picks.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

But you could stomach Messier? Luic won't be getting our Captain Bo traded like that loser got Linden traded....

Took a step back and did stuff other than watch hockey during that time.  Lucic would be a repeat of the Messier era and it's our duty as fans to do everything in our power to keep this scumbag out of Vancouver

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 1

I wonder if we are all underestimating how badly JB may wish to get rid of Eriksson after he mouthed off to the media. I wouldn’t be surprised if no ome else wants Eriksson and Lucic is seen as the lesser of two evils. 

I don’t have a problem with it if he waives the NMC. 

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Took a step back and did stuff other than watch hockey during that time.  Lucic would be a repeat of the Messier ever and it's our duty as fans to do everything in our power to keep this scumbag out of Vancouver

Man, your hatred of Luc seems personal...

• Upvote 1

Just now, Pickly said:

Man, your hatred of Luc seems personal...

Just sickens to see that pitiful of an individual further disgrace the sport while wearing Canucks colours.  I have absolutely zero respect for that worthless piece of $*^% as either a player or a person.

• Haha 1

Just sickens to see that pitiful of an individual further disgrace the sport while wearing Canucks colours.  I have absolutely zero respect for that worthless piece of $*^% as either a player or a person.

You just confirmed my theory. 

Regardless, better be prepared to be disappointed because there seems to be a decent chance this trade actually happens.    

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

You just confirmed my theory. 

Regardless, better be prepared to be disappointed because there seems to be a decent chance this trade actually happens.    

Then it's our duty as fans to make it clear Lucic is not welcome and run him out of town.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Then it's our duty as fans to make it clear Lucic is not welcome and run him out of town.

Go ahead and make that your prerogative. When he sh*tpumps the first person to lay a hand on Petey I think all the anymosity some Canuck fans had towards him will go right out the window. 

• Upvote 4

Anybody think it's just possible that Loui's comments are being blown out of proportion ?  If you read them they aren't exactly scathing, and Green hasn't had any (public) harsh words towards Loui. I'm curious what comes of a discussion between the team and Loui ; certainly must be possible for both sides to "hug it out" and make the best of what may be a somewhat mutually dissatisfying situation. I'm personally having  a hard time seeing the benefit of a one-for-one, or even a deal with a minor incentive attached from Edm .

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2