The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

If that’s the case why haven’t they signed him already? They are up tight even with LTIR. God knows what Marner wants and what has been offered.

ummm, the same reason a bunch of player haven't signed?  The player wants to be paid more and the team wants to pay less... RFAs on non cap teams are also not signed for the same reason.

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

ummm, the same reason a bunch of player haven't signed?  The player wants to be paid more and the team wants to pay less... RFAs on non cap teams are also not signed for the same reason.

Supposedly all the other RFA’s are waiting on the Marner deal to use as a scale. He has made it very clear he wants the same pay day as Mathews. Marner is not signed because TO doesn’t have the cap space...

You know this!

Edited by grandmaster

Just now, grandmaster said:

Supposedly all the other RFA’s are waiting on the Marner deal to use as a scale. He has made it very clear he wants the same pay day as Mathews. Marner is not signed because TO doesn’t have the cap space...

OK Dubas, thanks for coming on the board and sharing your inside knowledge. 

You should probably filter it through Mackenzie and Dreger though to make it less obvious you are hanging out on opposing team's fan forums.

..and here were all the reporters and pundits making up nonsense about it being about term, that Marner wants the payday on a shorter term and the team is willing to give him that money but want it to be on a long term deal.  They should have just come here and asked you.

• Wat 1

Just now, Provost said:

OK Dubas, thanks for coming on the board and sharing your inside knowledge. 

You should probably filter it through Mackenzie and Dreger though to make it less obvious you are hanging out on opposing team's fan forums.

..and here were all the reporters and pundits making up nonsense about it being about term, that Marner wants the payday on a shorter term and the team is willing to give him that money but want it to be on a long term deal.  They should have just come here and asked you.

You’re welcome, lol.

You don’t need be Dubas to figure out what is going on. It’s pretty simple really.

TO’s LTIR does not cover the Marner salary demand and ability to fit under the cap. Do the math. 

11.6M (Mathews salary/what Marner wants)

Current Leafs Cap:

84.4M 

Clarkson/Horton LTIR combined - 10.5M

84.4 - 10.5 = 73.9M

73.9M + 11.6M Marner salary = 85.5M

2019/2020 NHL Salary Cap:

83M

85.5 - 83 = 2.5

That is 2.5M over the cap. 

Sending Boeser (est 7M) and Tanev (4.45M) would keep the Leafs in cap trouble. That is what I was trying to say.

I also was saying that this Marner deal will be a scale for other significant RFAs. This has been mentioned in many talk shows like 650am and 1040. 

32 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

You’re welcome, lol.

You don’t need be Dubas to figure out what is going on. It’s pretty simple really.

TO’s LTIR does not cover the Marner salary demand and ability to fit under the cap. Do the math. 

11.6M (Mathews salary/what Marner wants)

Current Leafs Cap:

84.4M 

Clarkson/Horton LTIR combined - 10.5M

84.4 - 10.5 = 73.9M

73.9M + 11.6M Marner salary = 85.5M

2019/2020 NHL Salary Cap:

83M

85.5 - 83 = 2.5

That is 2.5M over the cap. 

Sending Boeser (est 7M) and Tanev (4.45M) would keep the Leafs in cap trouble. That is what I was trying to say.

I also was saying that this Marner deal will be a scale for other significant RFAs. This has been mentioned in many talk shows like 650am and 1040. 

Unfortunately, they aren't able to carry 25 players on the roster, so you have missed some important math.  Amazing for a boy wonder GM!

Boeser and Tanev collectively make about what Marner would... but that gives them two roster players for the price of one (like I had literally said).  In that scenario yet another roster player gets bumped down to the minors and another million gets buried.  It actually slightly improves the Leafs cap situation by a million and gives them a better defence at the same time.

Also, Hyman is also on LTIR and won't be playing until November at least.

Also, a players contract ask isn't generally what they end up with... there is a negotiation that happens.  The Leafs are willing to go over $10 million reportedly, but want more term.  Marner wants that money, but on shorter term.

Edited by Provost

1 minute ago, Provost said:

No problem Dubas.

PS.  Your team sucks balls and everyone hates you.

As much as I hate the Leafs, I would say those guys are the fav to win the Cup this coming year. They look pretty powerful on paper...just hate the thought of Leaf fans going nuts if they do win

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

As much as I hate the Leafs, I would say those guys are the fav to win the Cup this coming year. They look pretty powerful on paper...just hate the thought of Leaf fans going nuts if they do win

Hahaha.  What?   

Id say in a couple years they will have to rip it apart to make a better rounded team, or just keep rocking a high offence, garbage defence line up and going out in the 1st again. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

First the Raptors now the Leafs (IF they win)

7 hours ago, Me_ said:

Ristolainen will be at an NHL team’s camp

What do the Canucks give in a trade for Ristolainen and is he worth it?

Something around Sutter, Virtanen, '+' would fill needs they have. But other teams could likely offer better single players (Ehlers for Risto +/- swap for example).

We'd also need to then move Tanev to make roster space.

7 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Hell no! I just read that article. 

League leading minus 41? :sadno:

No way!

Context is your friend ;)

He's played the 'Edler' match up role (granted, without the same defensive chops) on a poor team with a dearth of defensive forwards to help out. He's been miscast and played over his head there, with little help. That's not going to equate to a pretty +/-.

In a less demanding, more offensive role here, he could very well shine.

Edler, Risto/Myers

Hughes, Risto/Myers

Benn, Stecher

Would be a HELL of an improvement on our back end.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Hell no! I just read that article. 

League leading minus 41? :sadno:

No way!

I feel like he can still be a good addition if used properly. Problem in Buffalo is they completely overplay him. Remember how atrocious Edler's +/- and play was under Willie Desjardins?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

I feel like he can still be a good addition if used properly. Problem in Buffalo is they completely overplay him. Remember how atrocious Edler's +/- and play was under Willie Desjardins?

Plus 5 on 5 Risto was playing with forwards who never played on the defensive side of the puck.  I think Risto would be a lot better defensively if he played on a team where the forwards actually played defensively - all over the ice.  Guys just fly through the neutral zone and attack the Sabre D with absolute ease.  That forces the D to back off the line, and give up their zone.  Then the Sabre forwards (on top of their crappy off puck neutral zone play) don't help enough in the D zone.  They are a very soft team in their forwards.  That makes things really hard on the D.  They look like they are getting beat wide, but really they are given little to no chance to defend.  Then, in their own zone they get running around, because their forwards lose their coverage.  I think Risto, if we got him for a fair price, would be way better on our team, where the forwards are expected to play proper defensively all over the ice. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Something around Sutter, Virtanen, '+' would fill needs they have. But other teams could likely offer better single players (Ehlers for Risto +/- swap for example).

We'd also need to then move Tanev to make roster space.

Context is your friend ;)

He's played the 'Edler' match up role (granted, without the same defensive chops) on a poor team with a dearth of defensive forwards to help out. He's been miscast and played over his head there, with little help. That's not going to equate to a pretty +/-.

In a less demanding, more offensive role here, he could very well shine.

Edler, Risto/Myers

Hughes, Risto/Myers

Benn, Stecher

Would be a HELL of an improvement on our back end.

Podkolzin is coming in in a couple of years. Ferland and Miller were signed. Virtanen could be had... With Sutter sure. Then sign Marleau to replace depth.

Maybe acquire another centre by trading Tanev...

Nonetheless a Ristolainen trade makes more sense than a Marner trade or an offer sheet.

Edited by Me_

12 hours ago, grandmaster said:

they are the favorite?? i guess tampa bay is just a trash team who just happens to have good if not better forward and forward depth.. superior defense.. and a vezina goalie..