The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Afraid or Not , 1rst for 4th liner

Rate this topic

ItTakesAnArmy

The only way this is a bad deal. Is if it JT Miller ends up being a third line player for us. Even then.. if he nets 50 pts on the third line it isn't terrible. We need more depth scoring but I think he's a top 6 guy. Believe we will see him with Bo and Pearson or Petey and Boeser.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

Where the haters at? 

Step 1.  Open your eyes.

Step 2.  Look at 99% of comments (outside of CDC) to anyone reporting on this trade, by Canuck fans & by fans in general.  

It's actually kinda smart by Benning though, because... 

1. Either this team improves to the point of playoffs, which is good for him.

2. This team misses the playoffs.  He's fired, and he doesn't have to worry about running a junk team with no draft picks.

As far as i know that is wrong, But is he worth a top ten pick? Tampa will make hay with the cap space.

Lucic could protect the players without trading away a top ten pick.

Hell there should be 200 guys like Miller to "protect" players available for a lot less than a 1rst round pick.

This was a insane panic move if this is it. Miller

It is a poison pill. He knows he is gone, especially now, he is just trying to embarrass the team that cut him because he was too small. And embarass the owner's.

He has forced them to take some kind of action, maybe he did this because of the Peter Chiarellii thing has more legs than rumored and he knows he is done.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

As far as i know that is wrong, But is he worth a top ten pick? Tampa will make hay with the cap space.

Hell there should be 200 guys like Miller to "protect" players available for a lot less than a 1rst round pick.

It is a poison pill. He knows he is gone, especially now, he is just trying to embarrass the team that cut him because he was too small. And embarass the owner's.

He has forced them to take some kind of action, maybe he did this because of the Peter Chiarellii thing has more legs than rumored and he knows he is done.

What?

9 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Milan is that you? No to Lucic... Not now not ever.

I'm not a huge fan of giving up the 2021  1 st, especially when you realize the money spent on Edler and Miller could have been used to offer sheet Marner

On 6/20/2019 at 12:53 PM, ItTakesAnArmy said:

In the not afraid side;

There is a possibility that if nothing much happens or Benning holds back and decides that next years draft can be a target, the status quo could be a win, a big one.

This would infuriate the "Playoffs now" crowd or the "they are better now" fans but a lottery pick especially starting in the single digits just might get THE STUD of the 2020 draft and obliterate further rebuild needs.

If they stay the same, expect Edler and Tanev to have their usual seasons, 60 games or so also both are a little slower less productive.

Pettersson will not be a surprise and may have a hard time with too much improvement.

They could end up pretty much in the same place as this past few years.

Clearly the 3rd year Vegas team, SanJose, Calgary are going to be powerhouses in the division.

Anaheim looks to improve considerably

Arizona is on the cusp loaded with good prospects

LA might still lag behind

Edmonton was better than their record and they have a solid GM running the show, I can't fathom why losing got their coach and GM fired, doesn't happen in Van ;):D  

In regards to Edler and Tanev I’m hoping Hughes takes some of the pressure off them and it results in less injuries. 

2 hours ago, DS4quality said:

Milan is that you? No to Lucic... Not now not ever.

I'm not a huge fan of giving up the 2021  1 st, especially when you realize the money spent on Edler and Miller could have been used to offer sheet Marner

Benning is that you?

Why make THIS trade now? It could have been made tomorrow or next week or whenever.

This is a panic trade to try to quell the masses, that is all. You will hear "the fans wanted it and now they got it".

The player;

Miller - 27yrs old next year.

M=NTC for four years

Averages 13.7 goals per season over his NHL career,  .55 points per game

Averaged 14:40 min/game last year

A decent 3rd/4th line player with the Rangers and Tampa

The player helps but how much of an upgrade is he to Roussel, Sutter, Beagle, Granlund, Leivo?

Two draft picks - The first could end up being a lottery pick if the team now fails to  beat out SanJose, Calgary, Vegas, Dallas, Colorado, St Louis, Winnipeg or Chicago and Nashville.

I hope the Boeser deal is close because if that deal goes into the Mathews realm then this team will be cap strung in two more years.

The defence hasn't changed and at the age of the primary pieces, Edler and Tanev, not likely to be much better.

Clearly Benning goal is merely making the playoffs and saving his job.

Free agency is next and he has a great track record there, 7 - 8 mil a season for Gardiner or 8+ for Myers? Or worse all with clauses?

Three years ago the same posters were posting "have faith", "trust in Benning", "you don't know anything" I hope the last 4 years have shown you just which posters are working for the Canucks because after 4 seasons of not even getting close to a .500 wining percentage Benning has just sold a lot of the future for his swan song season to try to save his job.

Be afraid it can get worse, think about 3 or 4 years from now with the assets being moved around now and picks being traded away, Gillis now has a better percentage of picks making it to the NHL than Benning.

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Benning is that you?

Why make THIS trade now? It could have been made tomorrow or next week or whenever.

This is a panic trade to try to quell the masses, that is all. You will hear "the fans wanted it and now they got it".

The player;

M=NTC for four years

The player helps but how much of an upgrade is he to Roussel, Sutter, Beagle, Granlund, Leivo?

Two draft picks - The first could end up being a lottery pick if the team now fails to  beat out SanJose, Calgary, Vegas, Dallas, Colorado, St Louis, Winnipeg or Chicago and Nashville.

I hope the Boeser deal is close because if that deal goes into the Mathews realm then this team will be cap strung in two more years.

The defence hasn't changed and at the age of the primary pieces, Edler and Tanev, not likely to be much better.

Clearly Benning goal is merely making the playoffs and saving his job.

Free agency is next and he has a great track record there, 7 - 8 mil a season for Gardiner or 8+ for Myers? Or worse all with clauses?

Three years ago the same posters were posting "have faith", "trust in Benning", "you don't know anything" I hope the last 4 years have shown you just who is working for the Canucks because after 4 seasons of not even getting close to a .500 wining percentage Benning has just sold a lot of the future for his swan song season to try to save his job.

Be afraid it can get worse, think about 3 or 4 years from now with the assets being moved around now and picks being traded away, Gillis now has a better percentage of picks making it to the NHL than Benning.

Your really hoping that the Canucks get another lottery ticket?

Youve seen what the Oilers have accomplished with McDavid haven’t you?

it takes a smarmy.....

to make a '4th liner' of a 50 pt player.

there are 200 JT Millers in the NHL!

1st rounders for "older 4th liners"!

hard (to bother) arguing with that.

HF boards gone wild.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

it takes a smarmy.....

to make a '4th liner' of a 50 pt player.

there are 200 JT Millers in the NHL!

1st rounders for "older 4th liners"!

hard (to bother) arguing with that.

HF boards gone wild.

50 points as a 4th liner on the highest scoring team in the league

Why not just sign Ferland, Lee or Dzingel? For free? All are 27 or so.

Why trade now? In 5 days teams will be scrambling for cap space.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, my post was from when the reported cost was a 2020 2nd, which was a STEAL

The first is merely 'good' value. Miller is being HIGHLY undervalued. He's basically Horvat-light. If you get that with a mid first, you're laughing. And his contract is excellent

There's certainly risk with the Miller trade, I don't think anyone would argue that. But to flat out declare it as 'bad'... We're not going to know that for a few years. But you don't get players like this without some risk.

Best post of the day right here.

• Cheers 1

Looks like we were right to be worried. A possible cornerstone pick for Tampa’s reject and they got swept in the 1st round.....

That said, Tampa doesn’t seem to lose any trades. Maybe that’s why they are so stacked and just came off of a 120+ point season. We need to hire someone from there, not fracking Chirelli. Lol

10 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

The player;

M=NTC for four years

A decent 3rd/4th line player with the Rangers and Tampa

I don't know where you are getting your facts, but this is just a straight up lie!  He has scored 95 times in 435 games.  So 435 divided by 82 is 5.3 seasons.  95 divided by 5.3 equals 17.92 average goals per season!  

That is with his under 15 minute a game usage last year, and also includes his first games in the NHL when players are just getting their feet wet and not expected to score 20 goals in that first year.  His four previous years before last he scored more than 20 goals each year!  I'd say that's pretty good second line production!  And .55 pug is pretty decent for someone who is only 26 years old.  And given the fact that we should make the playoffs in the next two years, especially the way our young core is developing and only getting better, giving up that 16+ draft pick isn't that hard of a pill to swallow!  I would be pretty happy if a draft pick in the 16+ range turns out to be a 20 goal 50+ point player and we just got a proven one, not a 'lottery ticket' so to speak!

20 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Chiarelli ? why would the Canucks even consider this guy . He is a goof Mark Hunter would be my pick move JB to the head of scouting.

On 6/22/2019 at 7:35 PM, aGENT said:

Benning just picked up freaking Miller for a song! Be afraid everyone!:lol::lol:

Where the Benning haters at? :towel:

Well, I'm not a Benning hater, I just think he's a bit weak.

Regarding Miller, it seems as this is another Loui-prospect. A player between top6 and bottom6. The coach move him around all the time. 

The recepi for failure and fans going for the throat. 

Edited by Timråfan
  • Wat 1

On 6/22/2019 at 11:39 AM, ItTakesAnArmy said:

I've read this many times lately, but correct me if I'm wrong: Didn't Tampa just clear space so that they can sign Point, who just racked up 40 goals and 92 points last year? Their free space isn't free, they just lost a top 50pt playmaker to us and now have a hole in their lineup. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1