The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Post 2019 Draft Prospect Ranking

Yung1

15 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I like those picks the most and think Mcdonough has the potential to be added to that list as well

I always like it when the paths of players intersect. McD will play with Madden at Northeastern this year and he is a life long friend of Rathbone, whose father coached them since they were kids.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

1. Podkolzin

2. Juolevi

3. Hoglander

4. DiPietro

5. Woo

6. Madden

7. Lind

8. Lockwood

9. MacEwen

10. Perron

11. Rathbone

12. Keppen

13. Gadjovich

14. Jasek

15. Karlsson

Just a question....How do you come to this ranking? How many of these players have you watched in the last year, other than highlights or the odd TV game? I’m always fascinated by people’s rankings when I suspect they have limited knowledge of the players that they list. Not to suggest that you don’t know what you’re talking about. You may very well be an expert like so many others on this forum.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/22/2019 at 4:25 PM, NUCKER67 said:

My guess: (excluding Demko, Hughes and Gaudette) 

1. Podkolzin

2. Juolevi

3. Woo

4. DiPietro

5. Hoglander

6. Madden

7. Lind

8. Lockwood

9. MacEwen

10. Gadjovich

Big Mac at 9? What have you been smoking? Must be good! Wow... speechless...

8 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Big Mac at 9? What have you been smoking? Must be good! Wow... speechless...

That is about right...MacEwen will make the team at some point this year and we will be very glad to have him...!

Only one player ranked above Zack will make the team this year...so it might be a bit low of a ranking really...!

Put that in your Trump pipe and smoke that...!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mad Jon said:

Just a question....How do you come to this ranking? How many of these players have you watched in the last year, other than highlights or the odd TV game? I’m always fascinated by people’s rankings when I suspect they have limited knowledge of the players that they list. Not to suggest that you don’t know what you’re talking about. You may very well be an expert like so many others on this forum.

I certainly don't claim to be an expert, just a fan and my personal preferences, how I see players in development and what the expectations might be. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2019 at 4:25 PM, NUCKER67 said:

My guess: (excluding Demko, Hughes and Gaudette) 

1. Podkolzin

2. Juolevi

3. Woo

4. DiPietro

5. Hoglander

6. Madden

7. Lind

8. Lockwood

9. MacEwen

10. Gadjovich

I generally agree with this list but I think the following:

Lind will be a boom or bust.  If he puts his offensive game together he will make it, but he is not fast enough to play a bottom 6 role.  Gadjovich, although I think he's a great kid, will not make the nhl.  He is too slow.  I think the top 4 will make it and be key contributors.  5 and 6 will be 2nd or 3rd liners like Jannik Hansen or Matt Cook for years.   Lockwood and MacEwen will be bottom 6 if they make it.

20 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

1. Podkolzin

2. Juolevi

3. Hoglander

4. DiPietro

5. Woo

6. Madden

7. Lind

8. Lockwood

9. MacEwen

10. Perron

11. Rathbone

12. Keppen

13. Gadjovich

14. Jasek

15. Karlsson

I agree completely with your order, except Rathbone, I think he’s a hide gem so I myself would have him higher. 

But all in all I like your list rankings.

17 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

I agree completely with your order, except Rathbone, I think he’s a hide gem so I myself would have him higher. 

But all in all I like your list rankings.

I tend to think Jasek is a player that gets little attention and under rated. Here's his coaches comments

“Sometimes we can play them too much. I had Lukas Jasek playing on the top line for the first two months of the year and he almost played too much. He’s a guy who got to the finish line and just barely made it over.We needed a dynamic of more team speed and Lukas has great speed. He brought that speed to the Kero/Boucher line, but when you’re given a lot, you have to be able to keep that up and it can be difficult to do at times for young players. You know what, it’s a learning process for all the kids and I thought that Lukas had a good year too.”

Rathbone is yet another under rated prospect

"A college freshman, playing top-line minutes at a top-flight school, paired in the playoffs with a blue-chip NHL prospect — and exceeding expectations along the way."

It's unusal for a freshman to play first pairing

• Upvote 4

On June 26, 2019 at 6:47 PM, Canucks Curse said:

1.Podkolzin

2.Juolevi

3.Dipietro

4.Hoglander

5. Madden 

6. Woo

6.Jasek

7. Macewen

8. Brisebois

9. Rafferty

10. Chattrfield

11. Karlsson

12. Teves

13. Lind

14. Gadjo

15. Lockwood 

16. Keppen 

17. Focht 

I like how most people have rated top 10 prospects....

I feel Juolevi 6'2, 21, lots of skill will come out of camp flying and will have a fantastic season injury free. He might play 10-15 games in Utica and then rest

of season playing with Canucks and becoming a top 4 D man very soon..  $863,000

Big MacEwen 6'4 , 215 power forward will show he belongs on 4th line and we will make room for him ... He also makes $847,000

This talented guy also help when we will be up against the cap...

Edited by wildcam
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I tend to think Jasek is a player that gets little attention and under rated. Here's his coaches comments

“Sometimes we can play them too much. I had Lukas Jasek playing on the top line for the first two months of the year and he almost played too much. He’s a guy who got to the finish line and just barely made it over.We needed a dynamic of more team speed and Lukas has great speed. He brought that speed to the Kero/Boucher line, but when you’re given a lot, you have to be able to keep that up and it can be difficult to do at times for young players. You know what, it’s a learning process for all the kids and I thought that Lukas had a good year too.”

Rathbone is yet another under rated prospect

"A college freshman, playing top-line minutes at a top-flight school, paired in the playoffs with a blue-chip NHL prospect — and exceeding expectations along the way."

It's unusal for a freshman to play first pairing

And maybe Rathbone made Fox a better player too?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And maybe Rathbone made Fox a better player too?

I'm not sure that's the case ::D but maybe complimented Fox. I'm thinking that on the Harvard roster there were likely 7-8 D. Fox was the Alpha dog but then there was a choice of a further 6-7 D and the coach chose Rathbone. Speaks well of his abilities IMO

• Cheers 1

On 6/26/2019 at 9:47 PM, Canucks Curse said:

1.Podkolzin

2.Juolevi

3.Dipietro

4.Hoglander

5. Madden 

6. Woo

6.Jasek

7. Macewen

8. Brisebois

9. Rafferty

10. Chattrfield

11. Karlsson

12. Teves

13. Lind

14. Gadjo

15. Lockwood 

16. Keppen 

17. Focht 

Hmm, might be biased but Lockwood at 15 seems low. 

He's faster, more skilled, and arguably plays more physical than Gadjovich. Gadjovich has the size but that's about it.

Top ten rankings, based on absolutely nothing (Hughes, Gaudette and Demko exempt)

1) Podkolzin

2) Juolevi

3) Hoglander

4) Woo

5) Madden

6) DiPietro

7) Jasek

8) Lockwood

9) Kielly (Kinda seems like people are forgetting about this guy)

10) Lind

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Top ten rankings, based on absolutely nothing (Hughes, Gaudette and Demko exempt)

1) Podkolzin

2) Juolevi

3) Hoglander

4) Woo

5) Madden

6) DiPietro

7) Jasek

8) Lockwood

9) Kielly (Kinda seems like people are forgetting about this guy)

10) Lind

Nice list, but we are forgetting Rathbone.  I think I’d put Rathbone at seven and take out Jasek.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nice list, but we are forgetting Rathbone.  I think I’d put Rathbone at seven and take out Jasek.  

Rathbone and MacEwen would probably sit at 11 and 12, respectively. As for Jasek, he seems to be getting it. Assuming he can improve a bit on his numbers in Utica from last year, I can see him being a callup if and when the injury bug hits, and eventually being a middle six winger in the NHL. A third line guy that can play second line on a bad team or when injuries hit.

• Upvote 1