The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Quinn is a number one.  His partner needs to be a big body, who can play top pair (5 on 5) minutes, and do the heavy lifting against walls.  Edler would be an ideal partner for Quinn.  That’s why Green had Quinn playing some right side D at the end of last season.

Our top pair will be:

Edler and Hughes. (Hughes will be logging 22 + minutes a game.  

Phaneuf is available...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

And give up another first round pick?  I think the trade ship sailed when he acquired Miller.

It might not be an absolute must have for Buffalo to get a 1st in a deal for Risto. Nice to get and likely for sure, but Buffalo needs to start competing now. 

2 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Doubtful. Unless he really values playing for the Canucks. Likely 6 mil would be the bare min he will get on the open market. 

6 to 6.5 is fine for Myers. I know some disagree but hes a legit top 4 guy that isn't out of his element playing 22+ minutes on the top pair. Just look at the difference with and without him. 

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Hutton - Stecher

Or

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Tanev

Hutton - Schenn

I know which group I'd prefer.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

And give up another first round pick?  I think the trade ship sailed when he acquired Miller.

Maybe.  Does Buffalo want futures though?  Maybe a combination of a pick(s) and guys who can help the Sabres now?  Would the ?Sabres want Gaudette?  

50 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Lets tackle each of your paragraphs.

1. How do you know no one is scrambling to sign him? No one CAN sign him yet except Winnipeg. And you dont know if they want to or not. Maybe he doesnt want to sign there. Who knows?

2. Again, you talk in certainties that you have no ability to know for a fact at this point. 

3. Lots of people do that, but you are trying to make a biased assumption about someone else's opinions relying on name value. You have no way of knowing what I know or dont know about Tyler Myers. 

4. The past five years is not linked to or indicative of the next five. That only works with the Oilers. The trend is amuch better indicator, and the trend is obvious.

5. Once again, an assumption seemingly based on simply dislike of the player rather than objective, evidence based facts.

You have no way of knowing anything you have stated here with the certainty with which you state it. Thats the bottom line. 

What I know is that Myers has put up average at best traditional and advanced stats throughout his career and both Buffalo and Winnipeg fans have mixed opinions about him because although he has a tantalizing toolbox, his low IQ inhibits him from tapping into his potential. You see his size and skating ability for his size and you think he should be great but he simply isn't.

Show me anything that suggests otherwise. Wishful thinking doesn't count.

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

What I know is that Myers has put up average at best traditional and advanced stats throughout his career and both Buffalo and Winnipeg fans have mixed opinions about him because although he has a tantalizing toolbox, his low IQ inhibits him from tapping into his potential. You see his size and skating ability for his size and you think he should be great but he simply isn't.

Look at the right side of our D. Stecher and half of the games Tanev.

Then look at the price to trade for a right handed, right side D who would bring similar "stats". Then look at options for the same player in free agency that we could sign.

Then tell me that he isn't at the very least one of the best and only viable options there is to impact our D without giving up something we really dont want to. 

Hateful thinking doesn't count. 

8 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Pair him with Hughes and let Hughes do all the thinking. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Look at the right side of our D. Stecher and half of the games Tanev.

Then look at the price to trade for a right handed, right side D who would bring similar "stats". Then look at options for the same player in free agency that we could sign.

Then tell me that he isn't at the very least one of the best and only viable options there is to impact our D without giving up something we really dont want to. 

Hateful thinking doesn't count. 

If we were one Myers away from the Stanley Cup you might have a point.

Unfortunately that isn't anywhere close to being the case.

Felt like I've had this discussion a million times since we traded for Gudbranson. Same thing all over again. "But look he's RH! But look he's big! But look he can skate!"